Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really basic snow condition question

Poster: A snowHead
We just returned from Les coches which we didn't really ski in anyway, it was much better to ski in Tignes, lesson learnt. However, on one of the days we did ski in Les Coches it had snowed the morning before reasonable heavily but when we went to ski on it it was very icy. What caused this when it had only snowed 24 hours before? It was a very cold morning. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slightly puzzled by this post. I was in Paradiski last week and the snow conditions were excellent.
Having been in Espace Killy a fortnight before I can't believe the conditions could have been much different
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes its odd, that's why I don't get it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alexb123a,
When were you there and was it purely Les Coches?
Les Coches is quite low and if it had been skied in got a little warm and them frozen overnight it could maybe have been firm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alexb123a, also, did it definitely snow heavily at Les Coches or might it only have been heavy snow further up the mountain?

Two other possible scenarios:

If it actually happened to rain in Les Coches (with snow higher up), rain followed by a freeze can cause very hard / icy snow.

Or if the snowfall was in fact not that heavy, it mightn't have properly covered up the old base. And a piste with older or artificial snow on (especially likely low down at Les Coches) can also be very hard on a cold morning.

What I'm more intrigued by is whether you drove all the way around to Tignes from Les Coches most days... or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It could be those as I wasn't in the area all the day before so I can't tell what the exact conditions were. Yes we drove to Tignes on 3 days and to Chamonix which was a nightmare due to a landslide, so it took hours Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Were the conditions really that bad in the Paradiski area? What was so bad about it?

La Plagne and Les Arcs both have quite a lot of high slopes (and even the higher villages are the same height as Tignes anyway), so it's difficult to understand why Tignes and Chamonix (yes, a really long drive - you must have been desperate!) would be significantly better.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
denfinella wrote:
@alexb123a, also, did it definitely snow heavily at Les Coches or might it only have been heavy snow further up the mountain?

Two other possible scenarios:

If it actually happened to rain in Les Coches (with snow higher up), rain followed by a freeze can cause very hard / icy snow.

Or if the snowfall was in fact not that heavy, it mightn't have properly covered up the old base. And a piste with older or artificial snow on (especially likely low down at Les Coches) can also be very hard on a cold morning.

What I'm more intrigued by is whether you drove all the way around to Tignes from Les Coches most days... or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

This.
Too bad, because you were right in the middle of La Plagne and Les Arcs and could easily reach both summits in both domains by a few lifts plus skiing, instead of driving.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What time of day were you skiing the icy slope? If it was later in the day after everyone had skied the fresh snow, the chances are it been scraped back to the base which would have been hard and icy. Everywhere has spots like that. I hate to say it, but you had no need to go else where, just head up a bit higher and/or to slopes that don’t get as busy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alexb123a,
which week were you there?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alexb123a wrote:
We just returned from Les coches which we didn't really ski in anyway, it was much better to ski in Tignes, lesson learnt. However, on one of the days we did ski in Les Coches it had snowed the morning before reasonable heavily but when we went to ski on it it was very icy. What caused this when it had only snowed 24 hours before? It was a very cold morning. Thanks

You've learnt a rather odd (incorrect) lesson there I think. Les Coches is a relatively low village, which is an entry point to the high altitude skiing in both La Plagne and Les Arcs. What were the conditions like once you got up to higher altitudes, for e.g. on Roche de Mio? They are very unlikely to have been different to Tignes.
Did you have a week's lift pass for La Plagne? If so, did you not have to spend extra money on the other lifts passes.
Driving to Chamonix from La Plagne is a very odd decision Confused Why did you choose Chamonix?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Baffling pattern for skiing. As for the snow. Snow isn't all the same. I'd bet based on nothing other than experience that the "fresh" snow
was groomed into the existing heavily manmade base and froze hard overnight. Happens all the time. Best way of avoiding it in winter is to go places that don't need much snowmaking and stick to N facing slopes. In spring all bets are off.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alexb123a wrote:
It could be those as I wasn't in the area all the day before so I can't tell what the exact conditions were. Yes we drove to Tignes on 3 days and to Chamonix which was a nightmare due to a landslide, so it took hours Sad

As others have pointed out, this is a rather odd way to spend a ski holiday - staying in Les Coches and spending many hours driving back and forth to Chamonix and Tignes when you've got the summits of Les Arcs and La Plagne right on your doorstep. Even more strange if you skied around Les Coches and didn't venture up into the rest La Plagne area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would be interested in @alexb123a's explanation.

Les Coches is at 1450m, with quick access to wonderful slopes of either Les Arcs or La Plagne, much of it above 2000m, much like Tignes.
i was in both Tignes (Jan 27 - Feb 2) and La Plagne (Jan 17 - 25 and Feb 3 - 6). Conditions were much the same, tho I thought La Plagne slightly better early February.

I wonder if anyone has ever stayed at Tignes Brevieres (1550m) and driven each day over to La Plagne (Plagne Centre 1970m).
Seems bonkers to me.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I would be interested in @alexb123a's explanation.

Given the incredulous response the OP might hesitate to try to explain....
snow report
You need to read the guy or gals posing history. Either they are a troll or completely whacko or suffering from the brain injury they said they had/have.

Either way I wouldn't waste your time.

Disclaimer: I've stayed in and skied out of Les Coches many times.
snow report
Layne wrote:
You need to read the guy or gals posing history. Either they are a troll or completely whacko or suffering from the brain injury they said they had/have.

Either way I wouldn't waste your time.

+1
latest report
You know what’s an underrated part of a ski holiday? The transfer.

I can only assume that the OP wanted to experience other resorts...although that makes me wonder why they didn’t bother skiing more of La Plagne first.

Watching this one with interest, could be future Snowheads gold.

How heavy was the snow and for how long? It actually has to snow a considerable amount to make a real difference. Also with the warm temps it’s possible that it warmed up during the day and refrozen over night, which can make it scrapey. And there are a number of runs down to Les Coches that can be rock hard at the best of times, especially first thing. There’s one pitch on piste Mont Blanc (under the chair lift) that’s nearly always a sh^tshow.
ski holidays
Most interesting this one. I can not get my head round the fact that you would base yourself in Les Coches right on the doorstep of a ski area the size of Paradiski and then not really ski any of it. Day trip to Tignes I could almost understand but to drive to Chamonix is quite an undertaking. With the Trois Vallees not exactly a million miles away that would have been a reasonable choice if @alexb123a really did not enjoy the conditions in Les Coches.

Hopefully we will find out the reason for the resort selection and hence for so much use of the car during the week.
latest report
Bonkers bonkers conkers ! I was all over Paradiski last week and it was fantastic, apart from being a busy for my taste (normally January I go there but things dictated otherwise this year). The off piste in particular was excellent due to the fresh fall Sunday night, but pistes were very skiable too, eveb most way down to Les Coches. I can see no reason why Espace Killy would be better. I ski both most seasons and it's all good.

Only thing I can think is decision was based on very early morning runs.
ski holidays
frejul wrote:
alexb123a wrote:

As others have pointed out, this is a rather odd way to spend a ski holiday - staying in Les Coches and spending many hours driving back and forth to Chamonix and Tignes when you've got the summits of Les Arcs and La Plagne right on your doorstep. Even more strange if you skied around Les Coches and didn't venture up into the rest La Plagne area.

I agree! First thing I thought was Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Disappointed this thread has dried up - I thought it was starting to show real promise.
latest report
It has the distinctive wiff of a stanton proxy account about it.

Initial headline, cadence of initial posting to stoke the contention, then sit back for a while to let others profer opinion.

Social agitant.
snow report
Concept of skiing Chamonix from Les Coches makes it extremely likely to be trolling.

Who’d drive an unnecessary 2h30 each way?

Troll.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy