Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not very impulsive impulse "quiver" buy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday I booked a family holiday for Christmas Next Year in Sëlva (shhh, don't tell the kids: it's a surprise).

I will be 60 by the time I'm in Italy: a little voice in my head says that therefore I deserve a second pair of skis and I've just spotted Rossignol Mens Hero Elite MT CAs (with NX 12 Konect) in 159/167/175 on SportPursuit for £374 which was under the price point the little voice had in mind.

My current pair are a 170cm K2 iKonic 85Ti that I got about 8 years ago with a view to doing a bit of off piste (which never happened) which I quite like but I wonder if a dedicated piste ski might be a lot more fun on freshly bashed pistes (whilst bearing in mind they won't be fresh for that long). I want to take a couple of private lessons to learn the basics of carving and the K2s don't sound ideal for that. I hired a pair of skis in February (rather than lugging the K2s on the Eurostar/TGV): they were a pair of Völkl Deacon XTs @ 168cm, which were fine but, overall, I didn't like them more than the K2s, although I'd not been on them for a few years.

I'm reasonably fit: I currently run or cycle five or six times a week but I'm not beating anyone in a race at either. I'm 5'8", 80kg (remember: reasonably fit). I'm happy to ski for 6 hours per day (excluding breaks) or 45km+ (excluding lifts) unless conditions are rubbish. I've skied a week or so a year for 45 years apart from an 18 year hiatus (and a couple more due to COVID) and the first 15 years were in lessons but what I learned was not intended for modern skis. I'm probably a very average skier, whatever that means, and I can't be bothered with big moguls or steep blacks; my ideal slope is a varied undulating red.

So, after that preamble

Would those Heroes make sense? Rossignol's website says they are also "very average": neither beginner nor expert, but most other websites I've seen place them more on the "expert" end of the spectrum.
    Is 167cm too long? Given the above, I wondered given the turn radius and waist if 162 might make sense, but SP don't have it in stock. 167 doesn't sound too long, though I suspect the K2s have a good bit more rocker.
    Is £374 really that much of a bargain for end-of-line skis?
    Any suggestion on something else to look at, or advice in general?
    Or just save the money and stick with the K2s?

I'm happy to take a bit of a punt on a bargain pair of skis that are a reasonable bet. Hiring skis and trying different ones each day isn't appealing: no-one wants Dad to be even more of a skiing nerd than he already is, even if he's paying for the holiday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can’t offer specific advice on the skis mentioned but will say the the Hero’s are only a smidge narrower (74 mm underfoot) than the deacons at 76 mm (which you say didn’t impress too much) .
Turn radii at the lengths you mention are 14 and 15 m respectively.

Personally to really get on those edges , I would try something narrower still …with a shorter turn radius.
Other Snowheads with more experience will surely be along to give some specific ski advice.

Length for these sounds about right at those widths for your height and weight ?
How did the deacons feel ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lucid description of your skiing experiences.

It, to me at least, shouts quite loudly, that you need more skills over more skis. Have the skis competently serviced, good edge condition etc and they'll likely be ideal for what you desire in piste condition and topography.

They've good camber, ski shorter on piste to enhance that aspect for edge grip and radius, with the rocker tip to cope with more cut up non perfection in used piste.

Price is what it is, and will likely be available at next season run out stock too if you encounter a real show stopper after using these more. There's always usually a sell off to clear season stock, no need to sweat it for this decision right now.

With a good instruction advance then you'll likely see some of your stated concerns (bad snow conditions, gradient etc) largely evaporate, to the point where you can fully enjoy the day skiing without pre imposed "requirements" in condition and piste type.

Honestly, these existing ski will virtually "rail" most condition, given skier skill, and don't look like limiting what you can do.

Any significant advances in skill will probably have you looking at ski choice with a much more informed opinion as to which aspect you'd like to enhance too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ski3, thanks. Competently serviced in my case means serviced at home based on Spyderjon's tuning DVD.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't skied on either but I am an intermediate and have looked at a lot of ski reviews and the general consensus is the MT CA's are chattery in very hard snow and ride a bit soft. Also Ti to CA could be an issue. Not sure this helps. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dynastar84, "chattery" is enough to put me off them, so yes that helps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tsgsh, I am in a similar age bracket…and same height but 66kg - by preference I ski 86 waist 158 Mantras - full rocker. My knees really welcomed the switch from 71 waist Volkls a number of years ago, and the wider waist on the Mantra really helps in chopped and slushy conditions…which are far more common these days.

I like buying kit. That’s an understatement. But what has pleased me most is not new pairs of skis but high quality tuition. I know that the better my technique the longer I am likely to be able to ski for. I want to ski into my 80s. Technique is key to this - I have neem working hard and achieving lots. Big breakthrough of plateaued skills this season…thanks to Alex 1 the coach and Alex 2 the Grom - the last week of the year was full of high speed playfulness with the Grom. Excellent days. I can now get grip on ice where before it was terrifying. I can choose my lines exactly and enjoy chopped choss. What lies ahead is better technique in powder and deep and steep - I have not yet attained there the unbothered playfulness which I have managed to attain in-bounds. That’s the next target.

Buy skis if you want them. Kit buying is always fun. But we rail turns on 86-106 waisted skis, lovely tram tracks. That’s all about technique. Watch the Debs Armstrong vids on hip dump…watch Stomp tutorial vids. Technique, technique, technique. That’s what really matters and that’s what will bring a smile to your face.

This year I can keep up with the Grom. He rails perfect turns at warp factor 6. Until this year he had always to stop and wait. Now we criss cross together. And that makes me smile.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stick with AMs - I bought a pair of last seasons Head Kore 87s brand new for under £350 (same ski as this season / older paint job) and it does everything it needs to (and carves well in all conditions) . . . or get saving and wait until the Black Crows Octo release next season . . mid waist AM but with a tight 14M radius
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am currently renting Blizzard Brahma 88s and although took a day or so adjustment from my usual Fischer Race RC 69 waist piste ski if you ski them well they are super stable at speed and when carving with plenty of pop and can also slice through uneven snow and slush with ease. Do need to be worked a bit though, not light (and certainly not chattery!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tsgsh,
Quote:

But what has pleased me most is not new pairs of skis but high quality tuition.

This!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the Hero + which I think are pretty much the same but a little wider, like 78 or something. I really like them, they're a lot of fun to ski. When we were in Arabba there was a huge number of folks on Rossi Heros. I get the impression they're a pretty good good choice for most folks that have a bit of experience and want a good general piste ski they're unlikely to test the limit of but that won't bite.

Though, yea, tuition is more important than the skis. There's no ski that'll let me out ski a local or an instructor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy