Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Millet Airbag Pack

Poster: A snowHead
Have been in Chamonix for the last few days and saw in the Millet store that they have produced an airbag pack with the Alpride canister airbag system. I was seriously impressed with the quality of the bag itself, lots of possibilities for attachments, small pouch on the waist belt, heavy duty construction and was compact for a 30l pack.

I like the Alpride system for its disposable and cheap canisters, and the actually mechanism appears to be a properly engineered bit of kit consisting of a CNC machined piece of aluminium and little else. Seems like there is very little to go wrong.

The whole thing I was told was 2.5kg.

Has anyone seen one or had any experience?

Why do we not hear more of Millet in the UK? Their new ski wear looks very good indeed.

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.millet-mountain.com/neo-30-ars-backpack-ski-touring-blue.html

Here it is for reference.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Millets/the Millet brand is part of JD Sports.

The Alpride 2.0 twin cylinder gas system is excellent but I'd rather have it in Scotts Backcountry Guide AP 30 pack for over a £100 less.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, Millets (the UK retailer) might well be, but I’m not sure that Millet (French alpine brand) is the same company...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
millet =/ millets
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arno, I never thought the French brand
www.millet-mountain.com was ever anything to do with the dear old English High street retailer Millets, am I wrong?

French Millet Mountain gear is great quality kit, I'm confused?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apparently not the same company. Millet is owned by a French company called Lafuma, headquartered in France. They own Eider, Oxbow and are associated with Patagonia and some other US brands. I had thought that the quality was way above what something like JD or the more commonly known Millets in the UK, could produce.

Also issued as standard to Companie du Guides de Chamonix.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also noticed some jackets are made in Hungary which suggests quality.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
capability wrote:
Apparently not the same company. Millet is owned by a French company called Lafuma, headquartered in France.

A big Drôme company although production seems to largely de-localized these days. I met the Lafuma family (children or grand children) of the founders in the South of France a few years ago although their involvement in the brand is limited now.

Their original rucksack style is quite iconic

Millet supplied the kit for the first successful 8000 meter summit attempt (or unsuccessful if you believe the counter arguments).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, =/ means the opposite of =
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
@Weathercam, =/ means the opposite of =

I think you mean ≠
you might find != clearer these days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
capability wrote:
Have been in Chamonix for the last few days and saw in the Millet store that they have produced an airbag pack with the Alpride canister airbag system. I was seriously impressed with the quality of the bag itself, lots of possibilities for attachments, small pouch on the waist belt, heavy duty construction and was compact for a 30l pack.

I like the Alpride system for its disposable and cheap canisters, and the actually mechanism appears to be a properly engineered bit of kit consisting of a CNC machined piece of aluminium and little else. Seems like there is very little to go wrong.

The whole thing I was told was 2.5kg.

Has anyone seen one or had any experience?
Puzzled

I have the Scott Alpride airbag and love it. Lighter than most other avi bags, the cylinders are much easier to transport and good value. The Scott version seems to be a bit cheaper than the Millet one though ...
Alpride AP20
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, I’m too computer illiterate to get the proper symbol Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arno, maybe you should have said @spyderjon, was giving out duff info Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys heads up this pack with Alpride system has just been reduced by 40%. Now a total bargain, I have pushed the button on one with spare cartridges for £370.

Get one while you can.
ski holidays
Check the link in my second post.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, I’ll have to go look in JD Sports for Millet at the weekend, perhaps they also now own Norrona, Arcteryx and Ortovox too?
ski holidays
Millet belongs to Calida and has nothing to do with those UK poo-poo brands Millets or jdsports!
ski holidays
as im getting more serious about back country i feel i need to buy an avi bag. i went to rent one in meribel last year and it was 60 euros a day. same price to buy one. this millet option looks great with the discount. couple of questions. when you get them i take it you should always test it out? would you do this at home? where do you then get cylinders refilled etc. i live in the north west. sorry if this is basic stuff i just haven't owned one before.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, Laughing
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@spyderjon, I’ll have to go look in JD Sports for Millet at the weekend, perhaps they also now own Norrona, Arcteryx and Ortovox too?

Laughing

Next time I'll remember to actually click on the OP's link before jumping to conclusions Embarassed

Anyways, Arc'teryx are soon to be owned by the Chinese along with the rest of the Amer Group (Atomic, Salomon, Wilson, Suunto etc).
ski holidays
Just a further nudge to emphasise that in the climbing world, Millet (from a legal base in France) produces serious alpine kit, and is highly respected. Their stuff has been bombproof for years. I have a ratty, torn, abused, neglected, and altogether excellent stretch windstopper jacket, which is just a sensational piece of kit. It has up and down mountains in France, Switzerland, Norway, and in the UK - and has been an essential bit of kit. Still going strong after over a decade of very hard use. Millet stuff is like that. Simple in form, brilliantly designed, and tough as nails.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

I bought the best ski board pack I'll ever own in Super Soccer Sports (as Sports Direct was then) 20 years ago ' Nike ACG - bombproof design and really well thought out tarp reinforcement.
ski holidays
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any comments on this system? Seems to be even lighter and smaller which would be good for a small woman (no intention of fitting anything except the avi kit in the pack).

Also seems good value although I note it doesn’t include cartridges. But not a brand I’ve ever heard mentioned on here?

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Arva-Airbag+Reactor+Ultralight+15-547541/?varid=303692087
latest report
As an aside to this I was told by a guy a few days ago who owns a ski shop back in the UK that Dalbello boots are on Sports Direct which I did find hard to believe but........................

https://www.sportsdirect.com/dalbello rolling eyes
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
As an aside to this I was told by a guy a few days ago who owns a ski shop back in the UK that Dalbello boots are on Sports Direct which I did find hard to believe but........................

https://www.sportsdirect.com/dalbello rolling eyes

Highly unlikely to be supplied by Dalbello though - most probably they've bought some bankrupt stock.
ski holidays
swoafs wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any comments on this system? Seems to be even lighter and smaller which would be good for a small woman (no intention of fitting anything except the avi kit in the pack).

Also seems good value although I note it doesn’t include cartridges. But not a brand I’ve ever heard mentioned on here?

https://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Arva-Airbag+Reactor+Ultralight+15-547541/?varid=303692087

I've heard of the brand as reputable and seen a fair few people wearing them in the US but not so much in Europe.

This article Bergzeit Review covers their system and might be helpful
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy