Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot advice - buy new or make do and mend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads. I'm looking for some ski boot advice.

I have a pair of Salomon X Wave 8s that I have had for probably around 15 years and i've done at lease a week of skiing in them each year i've had them. When I put them on in the morning, I fasten the left boot and it's good for the whole day. However I spend all day trying fiddling with the catch settings on the right boot trying to set them right. It's like this everyday, I can never find the optimum settings on the right boot. I find something comfortable and it feels too loose and I don't have control so I tighten to get control and my foot goes numb and I can't feel my toes.

I have been thinking that it is time to give up with them and buy some new boots and get them properly fitted. Do you think this would sort my woes? Alternatively, is it possible to get my existing boots refitted to fit better? I have some custom footbeds I could re-use? I have improved a lot since I bought these boots all those years ago so maybe it would be good to get some new boots designed for a more advanced intermediate skier that I am now rather than the beginner/intermediate that I was then.

Any advice is appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Custom footbeds will just drop into any boot, I certainly think you would find a well fitted boot will help sort these things out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
- Your boots are at that age, where they are a safety risk, due to the plastic getting brittle, or the protective sole pads simply breaking up (which happened to me, when the heel pad [Salomon Integral Equipe 8.2] disintegrated leaving the metal screws hanging down like stalactites. I didn't notice as I was skiing in a blizzard, so clicked into bindings like this. It could have been a nasty accident].

- The Liners, especially in your right boot, have compacted to the point of being useless.

- My replacement boots (Atomic Hawx) are more comfortable, warmer and better fitting.

- My Footbed was 30 years old (original Sidas), so replaced it at the time I got the boots....but if yours were properly done, if your feet haven't changed and if they're not too old, they can certainly be reused.

So my advice, is to put yourself in the hands of a good Bootfitter.....and a properly fitted, modern boot will be a revelation. You may, or may not get away with your existing footbeds.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your input @Old Fartbag, I think i'll spend the cash and get some new boots for my trip to Meribel in March.

Can anyone recommend a good boot fitter in London? I know there's EB and S&R in Covent Garden, are there any particular members of staff who are better than others?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Johnnyseven wrote:
I know there's EB and S&R in Covent Garden, are there any particular members of staff who are better than others?

I think ProFeet or Ski Bartlett, would be better.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 18-02-19 12:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Johnnyseven, go to a proper bootfitter - Profeet in Fulham. need to make an appointment, any member of staff you are allocated to will be fine
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Johnnyseven, you need new boots and footbeds. I used solutions4feet in Bicester but Profeet are supposed to be good too.

It's a large outlay but will last you at least another 20 weeks skiing and in the grand scheme, well worth it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne 20 Weeks? I'd hope to get at least two seasons out of a 600 quid outlay.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another option would be boot lab in meribel.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@panaga52, my general perception is 120 days (or basically a full season) our of kit. Boots slightly different as you can liner them up.

That said, I bought mine in 2011 and they've only had one liner replacement - which makes for around 400 days... some bigger days than others...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
panaga52 wrote:
@Layne 20 Weeks? I'd hope to get at least two seasons out of a 600 quid outlay.

Well, I said "at least" and of course there are a lot variables at play.

My boots were £470 all in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Johnnyseven, As you are going to Meribel +1 for Bootlab. I used them to alter the shell of my boots a couple of seasons ago, and am going to them for a new pair when I go out in March. Very good reviews and they guarantee the fit, so if there are any problems you can go back while you are there and get sorted. I know plenty of people have no problems at S&R, but in the half hour I was there 2 people came in having had the full treatment there with major issues. Should be arounf 400-500 euro I think.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy