Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sticky Skins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My touring skins are around 4 years old and the glue has now become a lot more sticky and is coming off on the pull-over bags I keep them in.
Is this normal ......?
Should I do something ....?
Can anyone suggest anything to remove all the glue from the bags as washing does nothing?
Any wise words appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would of thought some sort of volatile spirit would dissolve the glue, UPVC window frame cleaner fits the bill and seems to clean most "sticky" stuff off various things.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My old G3 skins are now the same, although at about 8 years old I think they are well past their best.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a sign of the glue breaking down so it's time to re-glue your skins. Have fun as it's a pain of a job.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless you have the patience of a saint and the technical ability of a nuclear physicist, just go and buy some new ones. Those online videos that show you how easy it is are all edited to death by some sadistic weirdo with an evil torture fetish.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
panaga52 wrote:
Unless you have the patience of a saint and the technical ability of a nuclear physicist, just go and buy some new ones. Those online videos that show you how easy it is are all edited to death by some sadistic weirdo with an evil torture fetish.

You made me giggle .... thanks all!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FoofyNoo, I just reglued a set of G3 Alpinst skins using the G3 renew sheets, and I agree with @spyderjon, that it’s a pain in the the back bottom. As mentioned the video guides make it look easy, but here’s what I found.

1. You need a hot air gun to melt off the glue, and a very sturdy wallpaper stripper. Too little heat and the glue just bunches up, too much and you risk damaging the skin.
2. When applying the renew sheet, no matter how hard you try there will be bubbles and ridges in the glue, and although these in theory can be ironed flat, they still show.
3. When you peel off the backing sheet, some glue will peel off with it, so you have to go over it again too fill in the gaps.
4. The applied glue looks nothing like the original as it appears as a separate layer, rather than part of the skin.
5. You also need a flat and sturdy surface the length of the skins that will get covered in glue

After all the effort in performing this task, I decided I couldn’t trust them and risk taking them on a touring holiday, so I bought a new set rolling eyes

I now believe that the Black Diamond Gold Label tube of glue is a superior product and is easier to apply.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to offer a re-glueing service and have done 20-25 sets so I had the process dialed in but I still hated doing it. After switching to only selling the Colltex Clariden/Whizz skins (for which re-glueing is a doddle) I no longer offer the service on any skins other than the Whizz skins as nobody would pay enough money to get me to do it again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks
Looks like I am going to be buying new skins ...... rolling eyes
Had a look at the Colltex Clariden/Whizz skins.
They look like a good choice as I don't want to be in the same position in a few years time without the option of an easy re-glue.
Are there any downsides to these skins?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was looking at re-glueing my G3s seeing as how the glue transfers a sticky residue to everything they come into contact with, but after 8 years they are also begining to lose grip on steeper sections, time for a bin I think. My Atomic skins for my Bents have been brilliant for the past few years, I really rate the smooth section for the front rocker, helps the glide in deeper snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FoofyNoo, I have 2 sets of Whizz skins. I haven't used them that much, just a few short hikes so they're not showing any wear. Not found any downsides yet, but one upside is the massively increased speed of use. Now I'm not the fastest hiker and am usually at the back, but when it comes to getting skins on/off, I'm done in about a minute and waiting ten more for everyone else!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FoofyNoo, are you keeping the skins long term in the 'pull-over bags' ? Am assuming these are Montana skin socks or similar? In which case I would avoid at all costs as the glue does tend to migrate onto the skin sock and then onto the skin fur side...

I used skin socks for a while many years back, but quickly moved to only using them on multiple up & down days, and always took the skins back out of them after skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing wrote:
@FoofyNoo, are you keeping the skins long term in the 'pull-over bags' ? Am assuming these are Montana skin socks or similar? In which case I would avoid at all costs as the glue does tend to migrate onto the skin sock and then onto the skin fur side...

I used skin socks for a while many years back, but quickly moved to only using them on multiple up & down days, and always took the skins back out of them after skiing.

That is exactly the mistake I have made ..... another reason to get the Whizz skins as they would make the bags redundant.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy