Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

slow chair lifts

Poster: A snowHead
i must be one of the few people who actually like slow chair lifts, having dodgy knees it gives me plenty of recovery time, and just time to relax and watch the world go by, if it goes over a snow park you can watch them do their acrobatics and jumps, you can watch skiers fall over which is always funny, you can count how many ski poles and gloves that people have dropped, and if the chair lift is facing the sun then thats even better, whats not to like about a slow chairlift.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem with slow chair lifts for me is that they tend to be fixed chair ones so you get a healthy wack if you are not careful when you get on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like slow lifts too, it means more people are on them so fewer on the crowded pistes.
On the subject of dropped items there is a kids pole that is under Grande Combes ( Avoriaz) about 2/3 the way up, clinging onto a big ass boulder.
This is the 3rd season I have noticed it, but it may have been there longer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slow lifts also usually mean a cheaper lift pass!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slow lifts are OK on a nice sunny day. Not so clever in nasty weather.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember a ski instructor friend pointing out a route using slow chair lifts that cut the altitude gain and ski time to an absolute minimum. "There are some classes I just cannot get on with, so that's where I go, last chair for me, fag time" Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pieman666, God, yes!
@compostcorner, my knees stiffen up, I'm afraid. Distinctly do not want to get cold and de-warmed. But some of the shorter old slow chairs do indeed have their visual charms.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don’t mind slow chairlifts apart from the ones that also happen to be alarmingly high off the ground. Was on one such chair in Les Menuires recently and the slow speed gave me time to think ‘wow, this is really high, it would be pretty scary if the lift just stopped here’. About a minute later it did stop Shocked It didn’t get going for about 15 minutes and by the time it was moving again I’d actually started to feel a bit panicky. Weird as I’m usually okay with lifts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slow lifts usually lead to less crowded piste , time for a hamlet cigar (metaphor)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, @pieman666, for those of experience with such lifts, there was/is another one of those odd ski stances to use.

The "bend over and put your hand out behind you" to catch the incoming chair before it gives your legs a hefty clout! Just as you arrest the chair, you can deftly drop bum cheeks onto said chair.

Timing is everything, looks graceful when practiced with an expert nonchalance Very Happy

If not, you still get clobbered, and harder to complete on two seater with added points for synchronisation Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best thing is to stand half a pace forward of your mates.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, +1 unfortunately my son is getting wise to this technique
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And if there was a contest for the slowest, the winner would be Marais in Tignes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like them too. There’s one in trysil that passes over a tree that is festooned with bra’s. No idea why. It looks very pretty though although somebody did lower the tone with some knickers one time.
snow report
@ski3, oh yes - though with the ones I know particularly well at Glenshee and Ruka, you're more likely to get a broken wrist like that. Laughing I prefer the forward pre-set, on-the-blocks stance and the carefully-judged leg-extending chair seat scoop and sit technique; or thump up the back bottom, half the time.
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, 'decorated' trees are quite commonplace in NA resorts, certainally ones popular with spring break kids. I recall seeing a heavily underwear bedecked pine within throwing range of a chairlift in Lake Louise once with bras, pants, thongs and Mardi Gras beads and somehow a substantial pink rubber phallus screwed to the trunk at a height of about 30 ft...
snow report
Surely slow chairs are faffing and not getting on with it wink
snow report
The single chairlift in Mittenwald is a an absolute joy. It's about a mile over beautiful low lying countryside and about the only break I get from the kids wink
snow conditions
I like a slow chair - time to catch up on admin + decent chat with whoever you are accompanying at that point. In decent weather they are the best way to travel. Who wants a “quick” gondola in these circs? Sadly the queue to get on ‘em is often so frustrating that the calm of the ride is offset by the agitation of the queue
ski holidays
While I’m here - have noticed that taking the outside lane of most queues for chairs (where there is a dogleg in the queue) tends to get you 8-10 chairs ahead of people who hug the inside lane. Any physicists or others prepared to suggest a reason?
latest report
 fizzer
fizzer
hodgkins wrote:
And if there was a contest for the
slowest, the winner would be Marais in Tignes.

Not if you've been on the Burfield it wouldn't. 22mins of hell at minus30 and a northerly blowing in off the Arctic.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@bambionskiis, 'decorated' trees are quite commonplace in NA resorts, certainally ones popular with spring break kids. I recall seeing a heavily underwear bedecked pine within throwing range of a chairlift in Lake Louise once with bras, pants, thongs and Mardi Gras beads and somehow a substantial pink rubber phallus screwed to the trunk at a height of about 30 ft...

Blimey makes the Trysil one seem tame then.
snow conditions
@Spin Doctor, perhaps people waiting for others are easier to pass? It's certainly my tactic with bubbles where being first to board as it sweeps past does give an advantage over others lined up at the front edge. Also your mates need to be lined up alongside and not behind you.
snow report
I think it’s partly because it is easier to make a wide turn around the outside than a tight one round the inside, because people assume the shorter (inside) route will be quicker so head that way and congest it and thirdly because of the well documented (on Snowheads) obsession with boarding the same chair with your mates causes people to advance in a row of 2,3,4 (or whatever) often leaving a virtual “singles line” around the outside which can be exploited by those who can bear to be apart from their ski-buddies for 5 minutes.

Doubtless some scientific study on people flow has been done which could give more detail on whether an even flow goes quicker round the inside or outside
snow conditions
pieman666 wrote:
@pam w, +1 unfortunately my son is getting wise to this technique

Stand next to him. Take a stealthy half-step forward just as the chair arrives. Works for me..!
ski holidays
Slower the better i.e Stopped Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Doubtless some scientific study on people flow has been done which could give more detail on whether an even flow goes quicker round the inside or outside

Is that not the same reason as why aeroplanes fly?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Thorney, Bernoulli's 3rd Theorum of Ski Lift Dynamics. You not familiar with it?
ski holidays
fizzer wrote:
hodgkins wrote:
And if there was a contest for the
slowest, the winner would be Marais in Tignes.

Not if you've been on the Burfield it wouldn't. 22mins of hell at minus30 and a northerly blowing in off the Arctic.

+1 for the Burfield Quad in Sun Peaks. Also there's no skiing alternative - it's easy to avoid the Marais but with the Burfield you either take the lift or you walk 2km back to town.
ski holidays
@compostcorner, ...well you’d love the Cret chair in Grimentz. This whacks you hard in the calves, then rebounds in a way which makes it a serious challenge to actually mount. You then realise that one of the lift designers was a dwarf, evidenced by the fact that when the safety bar is used, your knees come up to your chin, and your spine is bent in half. Then it swiftly becomes obvious that other designer was a sadist, putting the backrest slats in a position which separates your vertebrae. Whilst in contorted agony on the slowest lift in resort, you can watch other agonies unfold as debutantes try to master the top to bottom water ice of the black run to your left. Misery on the chair, mayhem on the piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy