Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Get new skis waxed?

Poster: A snowHead
Bought some new skis for me and Junior 2. Is it worth getting them waxed before use, or do they come ready to use?
Head Monsters if that makes a difference?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
New skis should come impregnated with wax from the factory. If the base material doesn't appear chalky in places and dry, and the skis are genuinely brand new, then they are good to go.

The wax treatment lives inside the ski, not on the surface. Skis are hot waxed so that the wax molecules penetrate the pores of the plastic bases. Excess wax is then scraped off and the bases brushed and /or polished to remove top wax which slows your glide.

As the skis run, the wax treatment is drawn out of the ski through heat and friction, requiring a rewax about once a week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pukmeister - I’ll save the cash then
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tuning-guide/9-base-tuning.html

Scroll to the bottom. No compulsion to do anything, but I'm a regular waxer, and use the renew on new skis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Congratulations @OTS, you gladly take the advice of @Pukmeister witha an impressive 2 posts here when you could have looked at the link that @endoman supplies that comes from somebody who is a true expert.

The expert says Yes it is advisable to wax and service new skis.

The Internet...makes even a 2 poster an expert...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp wrote:
Congratulations @OTS, you gladly take the advice of @Pukmeister witha an impressive 2 posts here when you could have looked at the link that @endoman supplies that comes from somebody who is a true expert.

The expert says Yes it is advisable to wax and service new skis.

I’m a great follower of Jon’s advice and a customer of his shop, but I think that your criticism of @Pukmeister is rather harsh. Personally, I found his post informative. Do you take issue with his comment that new skis can be skied without additional waxing?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rungsp please turn down your aggression setting.
Pukmeister’s view reinforced my own thoughts; I’ve read endoman’s post and followed the link and I now realise it’s not so simple. Time for some thinking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For what it's worth. When I bought my current skis, the shop waxed and edged them (pretty sure she said the edges were at 90 degrees and she made them 89)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its always good to get new skis waxed. There now hot waxed from the factory it’s only done with a spinning brush
After a few runs the base will be getting very dry. There your skis only you can deside
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp wrote:

I think that life has taught us all that no internet expert should be considered a real life expert, no matter if he has 2/1K/4K posts.Maybe he just discovered this forum, maybe he has no life outside SH community.
His tone, his way to address and to explain is what gets him respect or disdain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So if a new poster puts up information which is not correct, but does so nicely, then that is better than someone pointing the original enquiry towards the information from a real expert, even if it was a tad brusque ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suppose I ought to keep my mouth shut in future. Not much point expressing my opinion on here as a noob, a shame as I thought I felt a good vibe here and I didn't know you are meant to be some kind of legend with thousands of posts to your name in order to be worthy of anything.

Sorry OTS, ignore my earlier comments and get them waxed to be safe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pukmeister, I feel for you, Rungsp comment appeared a little harsh to me. Welcome to the forum BTW. But WTF do I know, only a 1,000 odd posts on here and only 35+ years skiing. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pukmeister, try not to be too disheartened by @rungsp, all forums have their big hitters Puzzled I’m going to go with your advice and if I feel they need a wax, I’ll get them done in resort. Thanks all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pukmeister, Welcome to snowHead Of course it always helps to be a "legend" and from Surrey.

Is your name related to ice hockey?
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
…………. even if it was a tad brusque ?

Laughing A tad? Laughing

That's like saying that Genghis Khan could sometimes get a bit tetchy snowHead
snow report
@OTS, Well rungsp might have been a bit direct but he does have a point in that the link @endoman posted is to information provided by someone who earns his living servicing skis for anyone from one week a year skiers to hard bitten racers so does sort of know what he is talking about!
snow report
@Mosha Marc, Laughing

The chronology was that the OP had a response from @Pukmeister, and cordially accepted that in good faith, before any information was further offered by @endoman, I can't see anything wrong with that.

It doesn't seem right or friendly to give two newish arrivals to the forum a kicking over such an innocent transaction, does it?

Agree that Pisteoffice is very good source of support, nothing wrong with that either.
ski holidays
But OTS responded to Pukey's post before anyone else had responded, so wasn't going for that advice over someone else's. rungsp needs a chill pill snowHead
ski holidays
Thread from November on the subject
latest report
One more word from you @Mosha Marc and I will raise the Black Tent.

OK, OK...chill pill consumed... Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy