Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three very different La Grave days, and just maybe one of the best ever?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So a good mate of mine I've done a fair few trips with had managed to talk one of his mates (Simon)who he met at Uni many many years ago into coming to La Grave for three days.

They had both done the Haute Route 37 years ago, and it had scarred Simon for the rest of his skiing life to the present, so much so that he never toured again, or ever really skied demanding off-piste, and was more than happy cruising the pistes of Samoens where he has a place, and he's of the school where he will not let skiing get in the way of having a good lunch.

He said from the outset that he would not change to fat skis, would not ski any couloirs and would certainly not ski tour, and his level of fitness was pretty bad, not helped by still smoking at nigh on 60yrs.

That all said my mate did say he was a very good piste skier.

My mate had booked our trusty La Grave guide for the three days and before he had even ventured out on his first day he'd been taken to the ski shop by Per and was tooled up with some reasonable fatish skis 106 wide.

On the first lift up he was white as a sheet and very quiet for the 45min ascent.

Per led and I followed behind Simon and it soon became pretty obvious he was quite a nifty skier, we encountered all types of snowpack apart as well as lush powder and he was quite adept at skiing pretty well everything.

As he was a good technical skier his lack of fitness did not really show, and I have seen many other fit skiers out of breath and complaining of leg burn well before he started to.

So after one long Vallons run to P1 it was back up to P3 and a Chancel run and it became pretty obvious where Per was heading to, and that was Banane Couloir, the look on Simon's face was classic, but Per gradually led him down and then when he was happy that Simon could handle it decided to let rip as you can see in the vid.

We skied all the way back to P1 then back up again and then down to Chancel for lunch, then back to P1 where he peeled off and we went back up and did a Chancel breche and then a long traverse to come in over the rock garden above P2.

So was a damn good day, and not at all busy considering it was high season hols, you just do not see many people as soon as you go away from the main routes.

This is the vid from that day.

The last "clip" is when I try to hang on to Per as we do the second pitch into the rock garden and you can see a few hidden sharks that you have to keep an eye out for Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/NnflR7U89AY

Next day Per's plan came good, and as the glacier opened up we were one of the first groups, while many a group decided to ski the glacier and do some of the classic road runs Per was convinced that it would still be cold snow over the top and down to St Christophe and he was not wrong, we had well over a 1,000m descent of first tracks in some great snow, though ironically where he thought it might better actually in the vallons itself it was more wind affected, but I'd take the 1,000m of fresh anyday over the more droll vallons run out.

Esepecially so as the last time I did it was on a snowboard some 20 years ago and we must have walked the last 7 or 8 km.

This time there was a group of snowboarders behind up and Per was right when he said that they would get to the restaurant just as we were finishing desert Laughing

Per's son (in the green) and his wife also came with us and they too can rip it up, Jojo actually uses the same skis as me !!!

http://youtube.com/v/3Y8M4num0Os

One avalanche did go off as we just skied two pitches and I just caught the end of it, he was worried that more would come off the South facing ridges above us once we were well into the vallon hence we skied well in the shade on the traverse away from any possible slides but the snowboarders were unable to take that line.

http://youtube.com/v/cLI0Wl2DjY0

Simon actually did the traverse quite well as there is a fair amount of walking and poling and his lack of fitness did not show, so late that afternoon he was fitted up with touring gear for the next day Laughing

We went up to Chazlet which is a big favourite of mine, and you can take the lifts (day pass only €1Cool and then skin the plateau/ridge with stunning views of La Meije and Girosse glaciers. First climb he was not too bad, after lunch second which was a tad harder he was fecked, but skiing was superb, and we ended up more or less ksiing pass the old Chaumine Skiers Lodge where I first stayed many many years ago and now in Ventillon there's a great bar to have a well earned beer.

http://youtube.com/v/M2PawDFO76U

And some moody stills

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hate you!
I am stuck in an office until March.
Then you can hate me...
Looks fab. Great photos. La Grave is on my bucket list.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to mention this came in via email today from Pelle and skiers lodge.

Big promotion for WEEk 8 (16-23 Feb)

Come and join us for a week with promoted prices for week 8 We are offering our standard classic packages for 1000€ per week ...

The ski conditions are great right now with good snow depth and cold snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apart from that nasty choppy shoite in the chute....that looked absolutely mint man
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, that looked like a great few days , and well documented with some banger pics .... but as @kditrj2d so aptly says I hate u Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great report!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy