Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wheelchair friendly accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to go away 9th march with 4 people and 1 is a full time wheelchair user and there will be 2 sit skis with us. Having very little luck finding wheelchair friendly accommodation without breaking the bank or not being suitable for a wheelchair user. Have tried a few different company's with responses varying from getting no response to being told to book and they will put a request in (to which i replied that is too risky as if it can't be guaranteed as the wheelchair may not fit through the front door or they may not have access to a toilet/shower for a week to which they responded that is a good point so we can't help you) to another one who is out of availability (we have left it late but reasons behind that).

I have tried going through different resorts home pages but its laborious and not always obvious which are suitable.

Does anyone else know of anything else I should be trying?!

Disability snowsport uk cant help, magic bastos website couldnt help, looked at planet handisport but limited information.

Would prefer to drive to resort if that helps and ideally france....

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hannahlucy89, I think that a friend has stayed in the Chalet Club in Tignes Val Claret, would have thought that this was with DSUK though so strange that they couldn't help.

Have you tried booking an apartment through a resort Tourist Office website ? You would be able to pick a particular one from what was on offer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hannahlucy89, there is a dedicated website for disabled skiers in Serre Chevalier. https://www.handiserrechevalier.com/chalet-handy/
There's some accommodation on there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mont Blanc Lodge at Vallendry had a wheelchair/sitski user staying there, when we were there. Hucksters https://www.hucksterslodge.com/budget-ski-holidays/vallandry-les-arcs-ski-holidays/ I understand one of their apartments has been fully adapted. It says nothing about disability on the website so I think you will need to contact them. They were very helpful working out how to accommodate our elderly lady with limited mobility, and we were able to get our car practically to the Lodge door.

Luxury it was not! But location and staff attitude were excellent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Google "gite de Bisanne". Accessible bathroom too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I quite often see people on sit skis in Alpe d'Huez, with and without instructors, and I have seen lifts for sit ski people to get up to the lift, if you see what I mean Laughing I cannot off the top of my head think of any appartement block that I know is definitely accessible, ours certainly is not (spiral staircase, no lift). I am happy to go ask in in the tourist office tomorrow, Wednesday, but when I have called them in the past, not on this subject though, they have been very helpful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just put hebergement mobilite reduite Alpe d'Huez into google and it came up with all sorts of stuff including the Pierre & Vacances L'Ours Blanc in Alpe d'Huez

https://www.pierreetvacances.com/fr-fr/appartements-pour-personnes-a-mobilite-reduite_om

Pierre & Vacances show this number for booking the rooms :-

Les hébergements pour personnes à mobilité réduite
Si vous souhaitez avoir des renseignements sur les appartements adaptés aux personnes à mobilité réduite, Pierre & Vacances vous propose un accompagnement personnalisé à vos besoins.

Infos & réservations : 08 92 70 21 80

Also the club med, specifically mentioned on page 6 :-

https://ns.clubmed.com/icp/factsheet/Factsheet_FR_AHSC.pdf

Hope all that helps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was also thinking Club Med. They definitely have reduced mobility rooms eg https://www.clubmed.co.uk/r/Grand-Massif-Samo%C3%ABns-Morillon/w?acommodationLayer=0_4

I'd have a look at their website and see if that's in your price range (remembering that it's fully inclusive) and then give them a call as their website is a bit of a nightmare when trying to find the room types

PS Their trips are Sunday to Sunday (don't know if that's a deal breaker for you)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try Oxygene in La Plagne, they are leaders in sit ski and have suitable accommodation to meet your needs, good luck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tentatively, Flaine Montsoliel Terraces d Eos apartments seem to be constructed with correct access (rather than adaptions) with all doorways etc that appear to me to be wheelchair compliant. Certainly the whole apartment we used also had generous bathrooms that seem suitable with all rooms on level floor.

Car parking underneath is directly connected via lift to accommodation. Boot room has direct and level access to snow for ski in and out.

We are not chair dependant so it's subjective, but I can't recall any of the usual restrictions you get in some of the older mountain accommodation regarding general access, there seemed to be level floors and wide doors throughout.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hannahlucy89, I am afraid I skipped a crucial bit of information in your post, the date Embarassed 9th to 16th March is Tomorrowland in Alpe d'Huez so, unless you book through them and buy a festival ticket you cannot use the lifts from 13th to 15th inclusive. Sorry about that, rest of information from P&V etc. still might be useful.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hannahlucy89 wrote:
Looking to go away 9th march with 4 people and 1 is a full time wheelchair user and there will be 2 sit skis with us. Having very little luck finding wheelchair friendly accommodation without breaking the bank or not being suitable for a wheelchair user. Have tried a few different company's with responses varying from getting no response to being told to book and they will put a request in (to which i replied that is too risky as if it can't be guaranteed as the wheelchair may not fit through the front door or they may not have access to a toilet/shower for a week to which they responded that is a good point so we can't help you) to another one who is out of availability (we have left it late but reasons behind that).

I have tried going through different resorts home pages but its laborious and not always obvious which are suitable.

Does anyone else know of anything else I should be trying?!

Disability snowsport uk cant help, magic bastos website couldnt help, looked at planet handisport but limited information.

Would prefer to drive to resort if that helps and ideally france....

Thanks!

The hotel Brauwirt in Kirchberg has disabled guests every week. They even host the Austrian disabled ski team, so are well versed in dealing with disabilities.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you all so much for the information!
serre chevallier only had 1 apartment which was way above our price range.
various companies and ski schools in la plagne only had accommodation for their clients or none left in the resort.
club med is above our price range too and paying for things we don't need (have our own equipment with sit skis, highly unlikely to offer adaptive lessons but would be amusing to turn up to a regular lesson in one....lol and lift passes our cheaper to buy in resort).
sounds like alpe d'huez is out.
hucksters were helpful so is an option but not fully accessible for all areas we would need.
i love tignes as an abled bodied skier but know some of the runs home can be a nightmare/so challenging that is has put me off as a sit skier and link to val d side is horrendous too (le face is beyond my capabilities and the half bowl could be lethal in a sit ski if littered with people....) or am i being too fussy with this resort?!
will take a look at the flaine option as hadn't considered there but not sure how the resort in general is set up for disabled skiers in terms of access to lifts but will have a look.
Will take a look at the austrian option but no knowledge of german does worry me where as i can tell all my needs and wants in french which is handy when talking to lifties.....

starting to think this trip isnt going to happen.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you looked at the Gite de Bisanne? Very easy, long, beautiful blue run home.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy