Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Route Jotunheimen - Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently enjoyed a stunning week ski touring the Haute Route Jotunheimen (Høgruta) in Norway, 26th to 30th March 2023 - covering 96.93km with 6,160m elevation gain over the five days in the heart of the Jotunheimen National Park (the "Home of the Giants"). A highly recommend experience...

http://youtube.com/v/kpTrut0GG2s
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cam2hall, that's a big trip, chapeau!

Had to Google the Jotunheimen National Park as I could see you were wearing harnesses so presumed it must be glacial terrain, and it sure is!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
@cam2hall, that's a big trip, chapeau!

Had to Google the Jotunheimen National Park as I could see you were wearing harnesses so presumed it must be glacial terrain, and it sure is!

Yes, we wore them but actually didn't end up using them - other than on the second day when one of the group got really sore blisters and some of the team helped her along the flatter sections by pulling her along with the harness to make the foot situation a little more bearable! (Though sadly she was snowmobiled out on the third day) I was hoping we'd do a little more rope work on the trip but it just didn't end up being required.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
6000m in five days - chapeau, indeed!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks lovely

Not much down though for all that up
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:
Looks lovely

Not much down though for all that up

We definitely enjoyed some good skiing (I just didn't film much of the descending as it was more fun just to ski rather than shoot!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant video and trip...
Have cycled over Joutenheim in summer.
Doing it by ski would be magic.

Question : Easy to book the huts in advance ?
Are they all catered ? Or need to carry food for the week ?

Thanks for posting!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Brilliant video and trip...
Have cycled over Joutenheim in summer.
Doing it by ski would be magic.

Question : Easy to book the huts in advance ?
Are they all catered ? Or need to carry food for the week ?

Thanks for posting!

Oh wow. I bet it's magical in summer. Many of the group I was with (all Norweigan) had hiked it before. Would love to bike it too.

Huts were more like lodges with buffet style breakfasts and restaurant style evening meals - catering for all tastes. The only food we carried was snacks and what we made up for lunch in the mornings.

I've done hut to hut in Northern Norway and facilities were very basic, which is what I expected in Jotenheimen - but I actually felt a little spoiled. Rooms were bunk style but having the luxury of showers, abilility to restock supplies etc wasn't something I expected. I was very impressed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did this route back in '98 - hut to hut touring, then bagging peaks from there such as Glittertinden & Galdhøpingen

@Haggis_Trap, most DNT huts were wardened, but the unwardened ones had food available on a trust basis - you just left a c/c slip for what you use (that was the case 25yrs ago, so hopefully still truel)

Our route was this...
Tyinkrysset
Fondsbu - DNT hut - Skidoo 22km mainly on lake Wardened 15 Feb - 18 May
Memerubu - DNT hut 22km - 9km skinning-13k on lake (past Gjendebu) Wardened 29 Mar - 22 Apr
Glitterheim.- DNT hut - 17km skinning Wardened 22 Mar - 22 Apr
Spiterstulen - private lodge - 15km skinning Wardened 1 Mar - 1 May
Olavsbu - DNT hut - 22km skinning - Self catering
Fondsbu - DNT hut - 12km skinning
Tyinkrysset - 22km 8km-skinning 14k on lake
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go to Jötunheimr don't mention the Ragnarök wink
I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy