Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can adults use 'childrens' skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm new here so please be gentle!! I'd really like to invest in a pair of skis of my very own rather than use the ones at my local club BUT I'm on the petite side (5'2" and just over 7 stone) and all the ones I like and within my price range are marketed as childrens skis. Are they any different to adults skis? I usually use 140cm skis. Any advise will be greatly appreciated! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

It depends on the exact make/model you're looking at but as a sweeping generalisation Kids/Junior skis are differnt to adults from what I know. Whether or not they'll be suitible for you depends on the sort of skiing you do as they are generally softer/more flexible than the adults so depends on what level you find yourself at too. My GF is around the same size as you and she uses adults skis, does 99% of her skiing on piste but is pretty good so has some stiff and fast piste skis.

If you are an improving skier and plan to ski say a few weeks each season then you may find that it's a false economey goign for the cheaper junior skis as your ability may outgrow them even if you wont!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cloudy day, I have to agree with what Grizwald, says, look at a smaller size ladies ski (we are assuming your a girl) Embarassed if your not

my OH was back on skis last season after a very long break, she is shorter and lighter than you, she managed fine on some Movement Naos in a 158, but they also come in 148.

No commercial stuff here for me as we only sell big fat skis Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter was skiing on 144cm ladies skis when she was about 12 and very small and light so you shouldn't have a problem with something in that range.

I'm sure one of Snowheads resident Pixies will be along to offer some advice too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cloudy day, I have no real info but I let a friend's light and slight son borrow my full-on FIS slalom skis and he loved them. I found his 160 kids skis practically unskiable. This may have been due to states of tune but I suspect kids skus are cheap cos they're made cheaply...avoid!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for the replys - I think I'll take another look any try to get some proper grown up skis instead of kids! I'd describe myself as a cautious parallel skier at the moment but would like to be a lot better and practice regularly on my local dry slope so guess it would be best to get some which will last me as a (hopefully) improve!

PS I am definitely of the female variety!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cloudy day, ...ok...a definitive answer I think...some are suitable and some aren't. My partner had a very bad time getting back into skiing after a couple of years off having had kids, (she's 5foot 5inches and 126 lbs) and I put her onto a pair of youth Line Chronics 133cm, and more recently got her a couple of Line Invader Minis of the same length. She has had a ball on these, and got back to her (high) technical level very quickly. I could use the Lines, since they are relatively stiff, very strong (wood core) and thick enough to take adult bindings (very important). They still needed care with the mounting of the bindings, since shorter screws were needed. The edges are very strong and stiff on Lines, and this helps a lot. And yes, the graphics are really good. I picked up various pairs on ebay (some for 90gbp (good condition with bindings), some for 30gbp (new without bindings)).

Some skis will be too flexy, too thin (to properly mount adult bindings), too weak, and the wrong geometry. Line youth skis are excellent, strong, decently stiff, thick enough, and with nice wide waists and decent sidecut. Salomon piste skis in junior form, for example, I would not recommend for you use (others may disagree), likewise many of the youth rossignol. This is for good reason, the skis are really optimised for youths, and just don't translate into 'small adult' skis.

hope that this helps.
tim
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From what I have observed most of the female dry slope slalom racers use junior race skis and do very well on them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few years back I got a very good deal on some roxy adult skis for my wife who is about your size...they seemed similar to a teen model that was being marketed and I don't think that would have been a bad choice either...there are more industry insiders who post on epic ski.com, so I would think about posting there as well, but wouldn't avoid jr skis unless you ski agressively
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
From what I have observed most of the female dry slope slalom racers use junior race skis and do very well on them.

Really? 2 weeks ago they were all on Ladies 155's !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cloudy day, Hi, I'm only 5 ft tall and ski on 149/151cm skis. I have a great pair of Volkl Estrellas for sale if you're interested (£199)Hardly used and less than half original price. (Halifax, West Yorkshire)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sue650, I think she will have bought some by now - the thread was started in 2011
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy