Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Orres

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Never heard of it, somewhere in "southern French alps", but seen some TO trips out in mid March. Looked at online piste maps, seems to have fair amount of drags but chairs too. Snow levels seem OK at moment but for mid to end March...??
Can't find any mention in SHds search, so any input much appreciated
Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Can't find any mention in SHds search, so any input much appreciated

A search of "orres" found 155 matches for me. Might be worth trying again?

The first two threads
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3324841&highlight=orres#3324841
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2996248&highlight=orres#2996248
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, @Gämsbock. Didn't think to search only on one of the two words in the name. Got it now on the searches. Seems OK, though few visits by SHds.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Orres is a very nice ski area.

But neighbor "La foret blanche" (Risoul and Vars) is even nicer.
See this extensive trip report

Original in German https://www.relive.cc/view/2153083427

Google translated
https://translate.google.com/?hl=nl#view=home&op=translate&sl=de&tl=en&text=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D47%26t%3D61018

video review

http://youtube.com/v/Unpilc4CZLQ
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I decided against going. It sounds really nice, the price was good, and I was just about to book: but the reviews of various available accommodations definitely left something to be desired, to say the least Sad I presume it's normal in French SC apartments to have to make your own beds, do a full clean before leaving, provide or pay for towels etc? (The ones on offer certainly were all like this - and not at budget prices either.) Bummer. Thanks for the advice anyway, I might look into the area for future years.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I presume it's normal in French SC apartments to have to make your own beds, do a full clean before leaving, provide or pay for towels etc?

Yes, that's what French families are used to doing, when they rent an apartment. You often have to bring your own bed linen too - or rent it. I'm surprised, though, if prices for apartments after the first week of March were high - what sort of prices came up? It should be low season.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, The main chain in France where you don't have to make beds or clean is CGH residences. Unfortunately the furthest south they go in skiing terms is Montgenevre. These residences are in a lot of resorts in the northern alps and I would recommend them. The residences have pleasantly furnished apartments (particularly the more recent ones), pools, jacuzzis, steam room and sauna and an upmarket reception with sofas and a log fire. Beds are made on arrival. The kitchens have mod cons including dishwashers. the ski rooms have heated boot racks. If you are looking for a reasonably priced option for late March I would suggest Les Chalets de Flambeau in Val Cenis. It might be a bit slushy lower down but it goes up to 2800m so should have enough snow higher up.

If CGH are too pricey have a look at MMV eg. L'etoile des cimes in Sainte foy. MMV is a step down in luxury from cgh but still ok...they say they are 4 star but have more of a 3 star feel. You will find beds made on arrival and I think end of stay cleaning is included (but haven't used them for a while so would recommend checking).

Finally some of the Chalet des Neiges apartments are very nice...we liked La Cime des Arcs in Arc 2000. The apartment was immaculate on arrival and beds made. We paid a supplement for end of stay cleaning.

We booked all the above through Peak retreats or their subsidiary ski collection self drive incl eurotunnel flexi plus. They offer accommodation only at a discount. if you want a flight package I think Crystal offer la cime des arcs and some of the places mentioned but not the full range.

It is now 27 years since my trip to les orres and I went there on a uni ski trip..it was ideal for that as it had cheap basic accommodation. I think some of the newer developments there will be better than the 70s block I stayed in but nowhere near the level of CGH above. The main reason I would not go to Les Orres in late March is that the snow depths don't look that good in the southern french alps this season and I remember les orres being very sunny ...so I imagine it could be lacking in snow or slushy by then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowymum, @pam w, Thanks.
Costs were £389 and £426 for TO, only available 17/3. A reasonable price, considering other ones at the mo, but it was just the bad reviews of both which put me off. I don't mind pretty basic (and basic =cheap), or at least am not bothered by luxury and extra facilities: but I do expect clean bedding and mattresses, clean accommodations and responsible management (and generally have got these, in many countries). Also not really wanting to have to super clean the entire apartment, for that kind of money, whilst on holiday and stressing to get packed and get the coach transfer for home. I guess that others don't want to either, hence the bad reviews. There was also a substantial deposit also required, which may be normal, but something I'm not used to and saw as a worry/hassle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we have stayed in the ‘French’ style self catering apartments with a tour operator (Crystal) the beds have been made, towels provided and apartment cleaned at the end of the stay - we did have to ensure the kitchen was tidy with all dishes cleaned and put away though (but we’d do that anyway).
I had read reviews and was worried about this, but was told in price and it was. We also had to pay a deposit but it was no hassle getting it back.
Les Orres was my first (and second) ski holiday with th3 school at the age of 12 (and 13), I loved it but considering it was 25 years ago I’m sure it’s changed a bit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy