Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads,

Wondering if anyone has experience with back protectors, and if they are actually any good?

I was looking at this one https://www.snowandrock.com/p/forcefield-ultralight-protector-I3114073.html?colour=108, but having given it a quick examination in store I'm not sure how useful it would actually be? Seems more like just padding rather than stopping your back from bending the wrong way. I have tomahawked a few times where this has happened, so that is my main concern. And if I wear a backpack I'm not sure adding a bit more cushioning in this form would actually help?

Any snowhead recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bennisboy, I've got one which is very similar to that. I wear it when I know I'm going to be skiing on busy pistes - the only reason to wear it, for me, being to protect me against being hit from behind. It's very comfortable and I'm pretty certain that it offers a lot more protection than a backpack.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Dainese one. Yes they are good - resulted in me only having a torn up jacket rather than back when I has a slide over a small cheesegrater rock band and possibly helped me walk away from a slam on my lower back that could have been much worse. But asking it to protect from hyper extension is a big ask there are limits. FWIW a turtle segmented protector with a hard shell is probably better than a softer one in that respect but I don't have data.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have used the decathlon ones for a few years.
Mainly in the parks, as falling on a box / rail can smart a bit.
The longer ones with the coccyx protector are better IMHO.
That being said I have still managed to knock myself unconscious and crack my ribs while wearing a helmet and back protector.
It cushions my back from impacts, but does not protect me from myself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used the Ortovox Freerider back up which has an integrated and removable back protector. Also some Evoc backpacks. My kids wear the Scott soft "actifit" gilet style, just general off piste and numpty on piste protection. Depends a bit on use case - off piste rocks or park impacts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a demon one in xl if your interested
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the feedback all! Will have to have a think...

@dave_3, I can't claim to be near an XL, but thanks for the offer
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bennisboy wrote:
Hey Snowheads,

Wondering if anyone has experience with back protectors, and if they are actually any good?

I was looking at this one https://www.snowandrock.com/p/forcefield-ultralight-protector-I3114073.html?colour=108, but having given it a quick examination in store I'm not sure how useful it would actually be? Seems more like just padding rather than stopping your back from bending the wrong way. I have tomahawked a few times where this has happened, so that is my main concern. And if I wear a backpack I'm not sure adding a bit more cushioning in this form would actually help?

Any snowhead recommendations?

They're supposed to protect your back from impact, not act as a splint ...Forcefield are good . They will add a bit of warmth too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well it’s interesting how culture changes over time. Five years ago I mentioned that my kids had always worn helmets and poc vpd back protectors and someone in a fairly ranty tone said I was wrapping my kids in cotton wool.

The back protectors on them and me have saved us from bad injury when people have piled into the back of us. Which has happened on a few occasions - result of rubbish behaviour by out of control twits. One instance of a back slam onto ice when one child did not have one on was enough to make them ‘put on and forget’ every day. The vpd ones are nice and cosy too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:
Well it’s interesting how culture changes over time. Five years ago I mentioned that my kids had always worn helmets and poc vpd back protectors and someone in a fairly ranty tone said I was wrapping my kids in cotton wool.

The back protectors on them and me have saved us from bad injury when people have piled into the back of us. Which has happened on a few occasions - result of rubbish behaviour by out of control twits. One instance of a back slam onto ice when one child did not have one on was enough to make them ‘put on and forget’ every day. The vpd ones are nice and cosy too.

+1 - just another mid layer now. Having slammed out of the blue twice I know its a pretty unpleasant feeling when you totally unprepared for a high energy impact.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't normally mind the occasional fall as I usually bounce, but I'm also thinking of getting one. They seem to have evolved since they first appeared, and the cost has fallen quite a bit.

Anyone used the Slytech Flexi Back Protector Vest? Seems fairly lightweight?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy