Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan or Europe for piste skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder whether someone can help advise on my dilemma.

We have recently moved to Singapore so Japan would seem logical for our annual ski holiday. We left it too late for this year and accommodation was limited so I am writing this from Les Arcs but I want to get my act into gear for 2020. We have to go over my daughter's school holiday which is Chinese New Year - Very busy all over Asia, but off peak in Europe.

We are good piste skiers; happy cruising red motorways all day with the occasional black to add some excitement. I have never skied off piste and I have little desire to do so and I'm not that attracted to the famed Japan powder.

My question is - if you're used to the French mega resorts, will Japan be a let down? I read that the resorts are smaller, often fragmented with limited ski in ski out opportunities. Despite the distance, the flight prices will be similar although jet lag is a pain. In Europe we can get an amazing slope side apartment for much less than anything in Japan and being out of season, it will be half the price that the same apartment is 2 weeks later in UK half term.

It seems a shame not to visit Japan to ski whilst we are in Asia but I can't help think going to Europe will be cheaper and better for our needs.

Are there any Japan experts who can advise?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski primarily on piste and loved the Hakuba valley in Japan, we skied a different area each day and it never felt samey or tired, but you don't get the same feeling of travelling each day by skis that you get in the large European domains, but I genuinely didn't feel like I was missing out.

If you stay in Happo or Echoland you have Happo One, 47/Goryu, Tsugaike and Iwatake all within 5/10 mins free bus ride and Hakuba Cortina within 20 mins, so plenty to keep a good skier going for a week. Each ski area is worthy of a day skiing and Happo has enough for 2 or 3 visits over the week. Hakuba is easy to get to from Tokyo via either direct bus or bullet train/bus combination from Nagano.

I loved the Sake, the food and the relaxing Onsens at the end of each ski day, it's a real cultural experience in itself.

We stayed at Snowlines lodge in Echoland, which is run by a very welcoming Aussie/Japanese couple and was a great base to explore the valley, the website is listed below:

https://www.snowlineslodge.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajfvr, I think you would regret not doing Japan when it’s so easy.

Why would you NOT want to go off piste?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just returned from my 1st trip to Japan, mainly Niseko, but we did ski other areas.
It was an amazing experience but your question is how does it compare to the Alps.
Cons;
1) Quite slow lifts and some very old lifts with no safety bars.
2)When windy top lifts close so gets very busy on lower slopes, hate to think what the queues are like in the busy time.
3) most cafes are canteen style, no cosy on piste cafes.
4) the pistes looked good but not linked like the alps
5) pistes quite short

Pros,
1) the powder was amazing
2) the off piste tree skiing was some of the best
3) lots of very gentle wide greens so great for beginners.
4)onsen, hot pools very relaxing

My overall experience was good and the culture was fascinating, but I think for a family trip and if your familiar with the Alps, and not looking to of piste, I think you will have more skiing the chance to sit in the sun or find cosy lunch spots in the Alps.

Hope you find this helpful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, you do realise how far Japan is from Singapore?
Think UK to New York.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, no idea really, but wasn’t the implication that travel + jetlag was easier to Japan than Europe?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hard to compare and say which is “best”. I do second the vote for Hakuba. There’s plenty to explore for piste skiers across the various local resorts. I think improvements are being made all the time as they finally switch onto getting more foreign business (it’s already popular with the Aussies, but nothing on the international scale of Niseko). My stepson worked his first season there as an instructor in 2013/14. We’ve been twice. Base yourself in Happo One, which is biggest of the local resorts and has around 1100m vertical. (Niseko up on Hokkaido has a much less mountainous feel)

Skiing in Japan is different. The snowfall is huge. It’s a cultural experience and I guess you would have to be up for that as part of the whole experience to chose JP over France (that’s why they are so hard to compare). With that in mind, if you do go for it, it’s worth staying somewhere really Japanese if you can, with an in-house onsen and traditional Japanese rooms.
Yes, it’s a bit clunky, (it felt very early 90s when we were there) but it can also be delightfully whacky. Bet you’ve never seen a monkey sitting in a tree 50 yards from a chairlift before!

The powder and tree skiing really is worth a go, even if you’ve never had the urge before, (best to get the bus to Hakuba Cortina for that) and book an English speaking instructor (stepson worked for the Evergreen outdoor centre-run by Canadians).
Downsides-Being there over Chinese NY will mean it’s busy.
On mountain meals tend to be a bit formulaic and served in large canteen type restaurants.
It’s not as “slick” as a French Megaresort

Plus sides.
The cost of eating out and lift passes is much lower than France.
There are one or two more interesting spots for lunch . Off the mountain the food options are varied, from quaint little Japanese restaurants, to pizza. Really interesting and fun.
Onsen.... Madeye-Smiley . Great to get back from skiing, strip off, wash and then sit in hot water for a while, before heading off to dinner at around 6/6.30. I’m not sure I’d self cater-supermarkets are mainly stocked with Japanese foodstuffs which can be hard to adapt to western tastes.

I’ll be interested to hear what you decide to do Very Happy . Good luck!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajfvr,
I lived in Asia for nearly 10 years and one of my regrets is that I didn't discover Japanese skiing until my final year there. The whole cultural experience is different form Europe , having said that if you want really extensive resorts Japan ain't the place to go and Chinese NY is always busy and flights expensive but that's true of flights anywhere at that time.
Having said that there is always Canada if you want somewhere different.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The whole point of skiing Japan from Singapore is the “easy access”. But what people REALLY mean is PRICE!

Having stuck in Chinese New Year means it’s EXPENSIVE! So I don’t see the advantage. Go back to Europe, until you can enjoy the powder off piste.

Better yet, take some off piste lesson while in Les Arcs. Then you may, just may, be able to justify going to Japan in2020.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajfvr, Welcome to Snowheads, I would highly recommend Japan, its not all powder! In fact the Japanese are far more into on piste skiing and love to carve, we skied Zao amazing experience and Shiga Kogen which is a large resort, its not the three valleys but still plenty to ski and you get the added attraction of the Snow Monkeys.

As has been commented if you have the chance to do it go for it.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73205

http://www.shigakogen.gr.jp/english/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For your needs, Europe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy