Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport Fast Track: worth paying for?

Poster: A snowHead
This time last year there were lots of horror stories about shambolic security queues at Geneva airport, which could be avoided by paying CHF8 for Fast Track. Is this still the case? Haven't see anything on Snowheads recently that would suggest it's a major issue, but am travelling back early evening next Sunday. Any advice based on recent experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given that next Sunday is far from peak week (and after all the charters have long since left) and they have opened 4 new security channels since last year, I would probably save the 8CHF for half a coffee airside!

Mad Saturday in 3 weeks time - the advice may well be different.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes. You can duck around trying the French side etc but I use it every time and it’s well worth it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s not just weekends @chocksaway, Monday mornings used to be awful
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last time I went through Geneva I asked BA to move me to the next available flight (something BA do free of charge if space is available) and the check-in lady apologised that I wouldn't have time to use the lounge but directed me to the fast track queue. There was a scrum at security which I virtually had to push my way through to get to the empty 'fast track' lane. There's no way I would have made the flight without the priority.

Having said that, I don't know what Sunday evenings are like. This was a weekday mid afternoon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used it a couple of times last season (CHF10 or 8 Euros) as insurance to try and reduce the time from the train to plane and it was about 10 minutes from train platform to airside each time. However, the normal security queues a few weeks ago were very much more organised and only a few minutes longer - so it probably depends upon how late you anticipate checking it in. You can only book it up to midnight before the day of travel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's hard to say....I fly through Geneva a lot and the last time, on a normally busy Friday evening, it was empty and I was glad I saved my CHF10. I usually fly Easyjet and with the Easyjet Plus card Fast Track is included but recently it hasn't been needed really, just a marginal saving of time in part because the average business traveller knows they have to remove belts, liquids, laptops, etc.

It's got a lot better and more efficient in general than it used to be, but then I don't normally go through at peak ski season departure times which I know were horrendous in the past. They opened a new section in the summer with two hi-tech machines where you don't need to remove water and gadgets which helps a lot with processing time, and the queue system has been arranged more efficiently for the main machines.

However for peace of mind, especially if timings are tight or you want to relax before the flight, it's maybe worth getting.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
remember the GVA french side hack

If the security queues are horrid you can follow directions to the French side and go through security there.

(don't tell everyone though!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last night, the queue in Fast Track was bigger than for the standard security channels. I get it free with my Easyjet Plus card. It's been very handy on some Sunday evening returns.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I flew out of Geneva last year the jobs-worth wouldn't let me duck under the rope to go through the fast track lane and made me follow the snake around half the airport till I got back to him..and then let me use the fast track lane. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just been through Geneva last Saturday for a 7pm flight. No problems at all, walked straight through.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used the French side hack in Jan post new year, wife was reluctant to do it but mahoosive queue on swiss side and about 3 people on French side, the nice chap mentioned that we must have known 'the secret'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@orange, could you please share the French hack? I remember reading about it somewhere here. Will try in next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No queues this evening around 18:00 through main security. Flight was booked this morning and so not able to use fast track anyway. Around 08:00 on a Thursday morning a couple of weeks ago there was no queue at fast track and only a few people waiting through normal. It certainly does seem generally better but then again not departed on a Saturday this season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitively been in mad GVA queue at some point this season already. Think it was a Saturday (which I usually avoid) between Xmas and New Year. Stupid day to travel, but I had to get to Spain for a b'day party and was trying to squeeze max skiing time in before leaving Chx.
snow conditions
This Friday evening at 8pm security was a breeze in fast track and normal lanes, the only time in the past 6 months! but the Edinburgh flight is the 2nd last flight out of Geneva on a Friday.

Travelling monthly through Geneva security always seems manic (even in off season) so I'm always glad of fast track.
snow conditions
@Ozboy,

at check in on the swiss side, look for the signs to the French sector. I want to say it's off to your right as you face the check in desks but I could be remembering wrong. Just follow the signs. You'll go through a one way security door and end up at another security area. Quite a few of the flights on the board will be French internal ones but you'll see signs to international departures.
ski holidays
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3152682&highlight=reminder+security+geneva+airport#3152682

If this is what you are thinking of?@Ozboy,
ski holidays
@loatie, @jedster, thanks I’ve bookmarked the link and will try it out on Monday evening. Do you end up back at the main airside shopping area?
snow conditions
@Ozboy, yes, once you have passed through the French security check, you turn right, go up an escalator and come out in one of the duty free shops - all a bit bizarre!
ski holidays
When you’ve booked it you don’t need it, when you haven’t booked it.... you know the rest!
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
@Ozboy,

at check in on the swiss side, look for the signs to the French sector. I want to say it's off to your right as you face the check in desks but I could be remembering wrong. Just follow the signs. You'll go through a one way security door and end up at another security area. Quite a few of the flights on the board will be French internal ones but you'll see signs to international departures.

yeah this used to be by travel trick, always impressed friends and colleagues but last two trips (Dec 18 and Jan 19) I couldn't go through, seems they have tightened up security you need to show proof why you need to go to france (car rental booking etc.)

I'll be in GVA again this coming week, will let you know on my return if this remains the case.
ski holidays
When I was there in Jan - they were checking boarding cards before you chucked everything in the trays for the scanners - both at the Swiss side & the French side - as someone in front of me was stating how they tried to use the trick and were asked to go round to the Swiss side.

So not sure if doable or not anymore - or whether it depends on who is on duty that day etc?!?
snow report
Sounds like the game is up.... It was always funny to go the French side and see the security staff slacking while on the Swiss side it was chaos...
snow report
Security queues were less than 10 minutes at 6.30pm yesterday evening (Sunday) on the Swiss side. However, friends travelling earlier in the day took 1hr 10 mins to clear bag drop and security, and another travelling at the same time as us in the evening queued for more than 30 minutes to drop off skis in the Outsize Baggage line.
snow report
Mid afternoon last Sunday was dreadful, the queue snaked round and around plus they were setting out further barriers.

I wish I had paid for fast track.
snow conditions
We went through GVA Swiss security on Monday evening at around 6PM and flew trough. We were guided to an area to the left as we entered the shake where they had a coupe of new hi-tech x-ray machines that no longer require passengers to remove anything from their bags including laptops and liquids. Queues at the old machines were also flowing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy