Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to tell when skis need replacing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Scott Crusades, from, I think 2012. I bought them second-hand, with apparently just a few weeks' use on them, and have used them for 1-2 weeks skiing per year for 5-6 years. I've always been very happy with them, but now I'm wondering whether they're maybe getting towards the end of their working life. How can I tell? Last year I hired a pair of Fischer Progressor 9 skis for a couple of days in Austria where we were skiing on hard snow, and they had markedly better edge hold. But I'm not sure whether that is indicative of my Crusades being worn or just because the Progressors are a predominantly piste carver and you'd expect them to have a better edge hold than all-mountain skis.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of those and was wondering the same!
Also interested to know what to replace with if they are too tired.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@J2R, they are worn out once the bases or edges get too thin to service. ...

I think skis, like boot liners, get around 120 day's use, typically.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
J2R wrote:
But I'm not sure whether that is indicative of my Crusades being worn or just because the Progressors are a predominantly piste carver and you'd expect them to have a better edge hold than all-mountain skis.

^^^ this. Unlikely they’re knackered unless there’s no edge/base left. Check your crusades edges are sharp and if not get them serviced. Alternatively get new skis which in the all mountain category offers some big improvement on crusades
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Usually when that burning feeling in your wallet gets too much to ignore Laughing

My guesstimate is that the skis have had about 60 days use. If you haven't been grinding the bases away, the edges still look alright and aren't detached, they haven't delaminated or full of holes, they're probably still alright. They are an all-mountain ski, so probably won't feel as good as a skinny piste carver on hardpack, but should still be reasonable. Have you sharpened the edges and given them a wax?

Or what you wanted to hear: you're skis are old and knackered, mate, best buy some new ones wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can't compare an older "jack of all trades" ski with a more modern piste focused one and conclude the older is clapped out based on edge hold. Do they feel dead, lifeless? What about the camber? Collapsed? FWIW I highly doubt that a ski with say 60-70 days on it is worn out unless you are a Herman Maier type. That's much less than a season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
You can't compare an older "jack of all trades" ski with a more modern piste focused one and conclude the older is clapped out based on edge hold. Do they feel dead, lifeless? What about the camber? Collapsed? FWIW I highly doubt that a ski with say 60-70 days on it is worn out unless you are a Herman Maier type. That's much less than a season.

I'm not sure about what feeling dead or lifeless might mean, similarly with the camber. If I had a new pair to compare them with side by side, I would obviously find it easier to say. There's a camber test where you press the ski bases together, and when I do that with these it's quite easy to get the bases flat against each other, but I'm not sure whether that would have been the case when new as well. Some skis are obviously much stiffer than others.

@Scarlet, no, that's not in fact what I wanted to hear. I'd much rather my skis didn't need replacing, and will only do so if they are compromising my skiing somehow now. I got a few base scrapes on the ski holiday I just came back from, but nothing unrepairable, and the edges are fine. I got them sharpened half way through the week, which definitely helped on the hard snow.

@BobinCH, what are the main improvements in all-mountain skis since these Crusades came out? I've seen lots of very good reviews for Nordica Navigators and would probably buy a pair of them if I did have money to spare. The lightness appeals to me, as I like to do short amounts of touring from time to time (I have Marker Tour F10 bindings on the Crusades). I'd also be inclined, actually, to go for 85mm instead of 90mm (like the Crusades), as in reality that would tend to reflect the balance of piste/off-piste I do, and as I'm pretty light (65kg), would probably provide sufficient flotation for occasional power days, particularly in the 179cm length (my Crusades are 169cm),
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lighter and more responsive. My recollection of crusades is that they’re a bit “dead”. For a light guy I reckon you’d see a big advantage in a lighter, modern construction. I don’t know we’ll the skis at this width but someone will come along with suggestions. Much wider (and expensive) but suspect you’d enjoy DPS Wailer 112’s if you tried them. Blizzard Rustler 9’s I think are 92mm? Not sure how light Kaestle FX95’s are but they get a lot of love.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@J2R, I don't know whether your skis are knackered, but if you really did hire Progressor 9 skis last year I'd like to know which hire shop you used so I can tell everyone to avoid them. The 9 was the 2008/09 model, so they would have been older than your Crusades...

If you mean the F19 from about 2016 onwards, then that's an expert-ish piste ski which is well known for cornering on rails and coping with ice very well. All mountain skis will probably never be quite as good on piste, but you'll spot the difference as soon as you exit the hard stuff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought a pair of skis in 2001 and I still use them. They have had much more than 60-70 days use, often on poor terrain (heather, and rocks)
I am just about to hot wax scrape them, and re-wax the base in preparation for a further layer of Zardoz not wax on the next ski day.

For the skiing I do, I have not noticed anything unusual in their performance. They carve well on piste (carvers), and the main issue I have with them is that the edges are starting to get rusty (due to poor storage and after season care). However, I can edge them and remove the surface rust, and they will be fine.

I guess the answer is like how long a helmet should last. Until you can afford a new one, or you want a new one. For me, due to the cheap £10 second hand helmet as my first purchase, I got a brand new one coming this year for twice the price. The old one still will protect my skull, but it covers my ears which makes my ears sore at the end of the day due to pressure. The new one is only EN 1077 certified, but then I do not go ski racing or jumps and do offpiste carefully. I read somewhere that a helmet should be replaced every 5 years even if it has not had an accident.

Maybe there should be an MOT for skis?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ousekjarr wrote:
@J2R, I don't know whether your skis are knackered, but if you really did hire Progressor 9 skis last year I'd like to know which hire shop you used so I can tell everyone to avoid them. The 9 was the 2008/09 model, so they would have been older than your Crusades...

If you mean the F19 from about 2016 onwards, then that's an expert-ish piste ski which is well known for cornering on rails and coping with ice very well. All mountain skis will probably never be quite as good on piste, but you'll spot the difference as soon as you exit the hard stuff.

Not the 9s, then. I think they were probably 800s in fact. Frustrating that I can't remember - I'm usually quite focused on such things. Definitely new-ish. This was in Austria. Having done a bit of googling, I believe the new 800 is the same as the F18. Great ski, I loved it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually, it is the bindings which need an MOT. You can ski on your skis until they are buggered, but if your boots do not release your knees are buggered.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy