Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses with helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I am off on my first ski trip since 2010 in a couple of weeks and was wondering what people wear on sunny days if they wear a helmet. Back then I didn't wear a helmet and had googles for flat light and sunglasses for sunny days (obviously!). I am trying to decide what to do this year as my goggles don't have changeable lenses so I may need to buy a new pair if I wear a helmet.

Are sunglasses with a helmet (a) practical? Do the arms dig into your head? (b) and this is the important one - is it acceptable from a style point of view? I am not ashamed to admit that I am from the "look good, ski good" school of thought.

I used to wear nothing on my head most days as I enjoyed then wind in my hair so I'm undecided on a helmet but that's another issue! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have gogs on my helmet all the time and carry sunnies in my pocket, I find both useful. Sunglasses don't dig into you head if you get the right ones.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Used sunglasses at Christmas with helmet. It was fine, didn't really care about how it looked!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wear sunnies and helmet all the time unless its bad weather and then use goggles oakleys and julbos sunnies seem to work well and slip in under helmet no probs
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear specs so have to have them on all the time & rarely use goggles as specs fog up, last week in the lovely sun I just wore shades.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A: no
B: NOOOOOOoooooo! Its all about the goggles baby, and the bigger they are, the better you'll ski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Goggles do work a lot better with a helmet. I used to hate goggles due to strap/hair issues, but since wearing a helmet I far prefer to use them. I find sunnies fog up quite easily with a helmet and just don't feel very secure. Plus you can't put your sunnies up on your head when you're wearing a helmet (e.g. when entering a lift station/bar/toilet), whereas this works fine with goggles.

It's not a style issue for me, I'm way past the stage of caring what I look like.

P.S. My googles don't have changeable lenses either, I just use them every day regardless of conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To young to remember CHiPs?

Mirror RB Aviators if its sunny, big goggles if not.

No helmet if really hot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm ... may have to invest in some tinted goggles then.

Thanks for the replies.

@blahblahblah, I have no idea what CHiPs are, so that may be a yes! The 6 year hiatus was mainly because my parents stopped paying for me Sad !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last week I was rocking a helmet and shades with a GoPro in the tellytubby position.

IDGAF Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
get goggles with good photochromic lenses and forget about arseing about changeing lenses or carrying extra sunglasses, goggles etc.

I use Smith Red sensor photochromic, dull snowy/rainy (Whistler) days, bright blue sky days through to sking under floodlights at night, and there are other very good options - Bolle, Julbo, Zeal.

And the Smith Vantage helmet has excelelent controllable ventilation, so no issue on hot days ( the ear pieces are removable also if seriously hot weather...)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
End up wearing sunglasses with helmet more often than googles which are sitting up on the helmet if needed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JamesN wrote:
Last week I was rocking a helmet and shades with a GoPro in the tellytubby position.

IDGAF Laughing

Were you wearing socks and sandals too? NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

get goggles with good photochromic lenses

You can get Bolle Modulator goggles which are OK from about £40 if your budget doesn't stretch to expensive Smith/Oakley etc. versions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Evidently shades and a helmet was a massive fashion crime. But this year all the bright young things at the Folie Douce are sporting helmets and shades - mainly aviators, so there is a fleeting chance I may be fashionable for a week Shocked

I just like shades as they give better peripheral vision and don't steam up as much. Gogs for poor vis days.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, yeah but they were all doing it ironically
snow conditions
I prefer the sunglasses. always used to wear with a hat before the helmet rule became rightly enforced.

I have a pare of Oakley Half Jackets. You can pop out the lenes at will and they are lightweight, wrap around and grip the head well. To that extent I have polarised and non-poloarised lenses which really helps. Also you know a pare of Oakley lenses is going to better than the average goggles.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
I just like shades as they give better peripheral vision and don't steam up as much. Gogs for poor vis days.

This Very Happy

Having said that lost my goggles last week either on piste or in restaurant as were stuck on top of helmet. Had to buy more in resort Sad
ski holidays
I always wear goggles with a helmet. Sunnies for sitting outside the restaurant in the sun with my helmet off.
No practical reason for not wearing sunnies with a helmet, I just dislike the way it looks. Many people don't care.
ski holidays
I wear 'hard' contact lenses so won't ski without something over my eyes. My preferred option is sunglasses: Cat 3 Decathlon Triathlon wrap-arounds, slightly mirrored, are my preferred option and, for me, are a wonderful close to face fit (small face) and very comfortable, with slim plastic arms; no problem with helmet at all. I do have Cat 4 mountain glasses but have never found them necessary ski-ing yet (though have when mountaineering).
If visibility is good and bright enough, I much prefer sunglasses but sometimes the cold or wind (or just going fast enough Very Happy ) can make my eyes water, so then it's back to goggles.
Goggles seem much more fashion accessories these days, and I am still wearing only goggles when boarding (but do fall over a lot more!) - but personally I prefer sunglasses if I can; to me, they're more 'fashionable' ( not that I do fashion; classy stylish, perhaps?) I just look like an idiot in all but the smallest goggles.
Many triathlon-type wrap-around glasses are available in all price ranges and many have interchangeable S1-S3/4 lenses too, including clears also.
snow report
No no no, I'm have no fashion sense at all and look like a bin man on the mountain but even I would never......ever wear sunnys with a helmet......ever.

I would even find it hard to ride with someone who was!!

Don't do it.....you will thank me for this advice when get your colour photos back from the chemist two week after you gat back from your holiday.
ski holidays
Careful. You may get pulled up by the fuzz

Shocked
ski holidays
I got the impression that new skiers were advised to wear sunglasses in the sun and get goggles for cloudy days as a purely cost saving exercise, as most people own a pair of sunglasses already.

But they don't keep the sun out as well as goggles, they're uncomfortable under a helmet, they look silly, they don't keep the wind out, they're more likely to break when you face plant, and did I mention that they look silly?

My goggles don't have easily changeable lenses, so I carry a spare. It takes about 30 seconds to swap. I also carry sunglasses, no one wants to eat lunch in their goggles.

Don't do it wink
ski holidays
@SFR_, just like you I last skied when it was only about 10% who wore helmets, now its nearer 90-95%, and I was worried about wearing sunnies as it was deemed to be uber uncool. I was not even sure about wearing a helmet, but seeing as I was going with the kids and was told to set an example by the OH, I obeyed her orders but went against fashion police rules and wore sunnies or goggles when the weather dictated and not some spotty faced numpty with keks round their knees!!!!

it was quite liberating!!
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
..... sunglasses ..... don't keep the sun out as well as goggles, they're uncomfortable under a helmet, they look silly...... and did I mention that they look silly?

May I respectfully suggest, Sir (or Madam), that you have not properly chosen the correct pair of sunglasses to suit Sir (or Madam)? Very Happy Otherwise, Sir's (or Madam's) sunglasses would function as they are meant to and Sir (or Madam - and loads of other Sirs and Madams) would not look so fashion-victimed silly... wink
snow conditions
The only sunglasses that keep the wind out of your eyes are called goggles wink
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

+1 As is my preference for wearing sunglasses over googles. I only wear googles when I have to. I dont know why people insist on wearing them all the time they are on the slopes, what have they got to hide? Using someone else's lift pass?

Not 80's ersatz aviators for me, nineties is the decade for me so A frame Oakleys with blue tinted lenses.
ski holidays
California Highway Patrol - can't beat a bit of CHiPs, with Poncharello and Baker(?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for sunglasses when the weather is appropriate. Ignore the fashion victims who say otherwise.

However, I strongly recommend getting a pair of padded sunglasses. The padding keeps the wind out and stops your eyes streaming when you go above 20mph.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xtreme-POLARIZED-Goggles-Sunglasses-Kayaking/dp/B007WV16BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456299916&sr=8-1&keywords=Padded+sunglasses&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Whats problems just with googles? Much more comfortable for skiing then normal sunglasses, and with all possible colors of lenses, you are fine even for brightest days.
latest report
For me a helmet and sunglasses was uncomfortable as the arms of the glasses didn't sit inside the helmet without pressing to much against my head, but I suppose that depends on the model of helmet and sunglasses. Just out of interest, what's the problem with wearing goggles and a helmet?

As for a fashion choice, it seems to me that many of us wear things on the slopes that we wouldn't be seen in elsewhere, so does anyone really care if we fall slightly foul of the fashion police...
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
Whats problems just with googles? Much more comfortable for skiing then normal sunglasses, and with all possible colors of lenses, you are fine even for brightest days.

Whether goggles or sunglasses are more comfortable is very much a matter for personal preference. You don't see goggles on the beach, and there are reasons for that. As long as you have sunglasses that aren't made uncomfortable by the helmet pressing the arms into your head then sunglasses are probably more comfortable. Less likely to fog, better peripheral vision etc. unless you plan on looking a complete fool at lunch, sitting in the sun with goggles on then you need to carry sunglasses anyway.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
You don't see goggles on the beach, and there are reasons for that.

I totally agree. I misunderstood the point of skiing, as it would never occur me to compare it with laying on beach. On beach people normally don't ski, so yes, there's very little of use for ski goggles. But then again, I guess most of people don't ski in ski places either, so yup, you are right, sunglasses are more comfortable for sitting on terrace drinking beer Wink For skiing I still go with goggles being more comfortable, as there's no wind or snow blowing to your eyes, and with normal use, I never managed to have problems with goggles getting foggy.
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
You don't see goggles on the beach, and there are reasons for that.

I totally agree. I misunderstood the point of skiing, as it would never occur me to compare it with laying on beach. On beach people normally don't ski, so yes, there's very little of use for ski goggles. But then again, I guess most of people don't ski in ski places either, so yup, you are right, sunglasses are more comfortable for sitting on terrace drinking beer Wink For skiing I still go with goggles being more comfortable, as there's no wind or snow blowing to your eyes, and with normal use, I never managed to have problems with goggles getting foggy.

My point was that if you remove the 'practicality reasons' for wearing goggles i.e. driving snow, very cold air etc. then you are back to reasons of comfort. Nobody is suggesting wearing sunglasses in a blizzard and plenty of people have had problems with goggles fogging. Just read the threads on here to see. It's really down to personal preference. Many people like the feeling of a little more freedom sunglasses can give you and dislike the reduced peripheral vision of goggles. Others hate the arms of the sunglasses digging into your head and worry about the fashion aspect. Horses for courses.
latest report
It's pretty simple - do you care about what the 'people who care what people look like' think about you? If so you wear goggles only with a helmet, never sunglasses.

If you are in the IDGAF brigade, do what the hell you like, in the knowledge that the people who care what people look brigade with think you look like a twaz.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's pretty simple - do you care about what the 'people who care what people look like' think about you? If so you wear goggles only with a helmet, never sunglasses.

Don't know if you have noticed but most people do care what they look like else we would all be walking around in standard issue overalls all day!
snow report
Legend. wrote:

If you are in the IDGAF brigade, do what the hell you like, in the knowledge that the people who care what people look brigade with think you look like a twaz.

A visit to the hipster paradises of East London will quickly confirm that caring what you look like, and looking like a twaz are not mutally exclusive.
snow report
Bringing hipsters into this is a whole different ball game...
snow report
@SFR_,

It is not acceptable to wear sunglasses and a helmet. It looks 100% duff. If you ski at a sensible speed (in winter) then your eyes will be streaming so much then it will not be possible anyway. Have two pairs of goggles for different conditions and save the sunnies for when you have finished. Sunglasses should only be used with the legs out over a suitable hat. End of.
snow conditions
@JayDub, That is just bolleaux!! As I explained earlier function over fashion wins every time in the mountains irrespective of the latest mandated fashion trend unless you have more money than sense and have fallen foul of the whole con that is fashion.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy