Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski socks that actually come up to the knee?

Poster: A snowHead
I have upgraded my ski boots this year, and now just ski with my socks in my boots as they are such a good fit. This has meant that I am now skiing in 3/4 length leggings that finish just below the knee. Now, I am not a tall woman, but I now seem to have a really annoying gap between the top of my ski socks and the bottom of my leggings. I have some Mons Royal 3/4 and Odlo merino, and have a variety of Falke K2 (?i think), X socks and two pairs of Smartwool ones. All are the same. I am 168 cam tall, and take a size 39-39 1/2 shoe. Can anyone suggest a 'true' knee length sock?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Decathlon do for me. I'm 180cm tall
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. But, are you like a size 11??? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's strange that my husband (6ft5) has no issue! I think I must have long shins!!!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get full length leggings and fold the bottom bit up ?

I use Thorlo socks that go up to my knees, I'm 190cm tall.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gaschick, give or take I would expect most ski socks to be the same height. Certainly over the years I've not noticed much variance. And I don't recall anyone raising this problem previously. Which would seem to suggest you simply have particularly long lower legs!!

You may be better off looking for longer leggings.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Compression socks run slightly longer. But are you saying you find the gap which is presumably fully covered by your ski pants to be too cold or simply aesthetically unpleasing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, You don't seem to have a problem with the gappage in your clothing wink Other people may feel differently.

Afaik, all the above posters are blokes. Blokes generally have proportionally shorter legs than women, who often have larger calves which compounds the problem.

I've noticed that sock length can vary a fair bit, though I wear full length leggings so it's not a problem for me. I have one pair of unpadded Icebreaker socks which are noticeably longer than all my others, including other Icebreaker styles. They are floral patterned, if it helps to track down something similar.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have the same problem. I just put up with the gaps. I have not found a good full length base layer where I can fold up the bottom of the leg. They are all too tight around the ankle.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
Blokes generally have proportionally shorter legs than women, who often have larger calves which compounds the problem.

Sounds like calf size is the problem to me, particularly for folding up the bottom of leggings. I have long legs for my height.

I use Aldi merino leggings but in the largest female size as they don't wrinkle up under my race suit, the bottom of the leg stretches fairly soon after putting them on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks ladies!! So, it's not just me!! Since the 'new holy grail of properly fitting ski boots for my extremely skinny feet and ankles' (thanks to Euan in Mesiere Sport in Chatel), has now been solved, yes @rjs and @layne, I have tried just turning the bottom up on my old, full length bottoms, and 7/8 compression bottoms, but, then you get a really tight bit that seems to stop blood flowing to the lower legs as @kditrj2d has explained. The gap can get a bit chilly when its -10oC! I may just have to put up with it at the expense of properly fitting boots that I don't need to stuff 2xpairs of socks and thermals in to get a better fit!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kditrj2d wrote:
I have the same problem. I just put up with the gaps. I have not found a good full length base layer where I can fold up the bottom of the leg. They are all too tight around the ankle.

I cut the bottom of the leg up the side seam
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found Ortovox ski touring socks to be on the longer side compared to any other brand I’ve ever worn
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, so this is a womans problem rolling eyes

Time to leave wink NehNeh Laughing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @VolklAttivaS5 - I'll see if I can track a pair down! My husband has just stated that I seem to be 'teetering on the brink of an incredibly deep internet black hole". I find it very odd that I can buy running KNEE LENGTH compressions socks that fit really well, and come right up to my knees, and most 'knee length' cotton socks that I buy also come up to my knees, yet a ski sock doesn't??? Odd.
snow report
Quote:

I found Ortovox ski touring socks to be on the longer side compared to any other brand I’ve ever worn

Do you mean these ones? https://www.ortovox.com/uk/shop/women/merino-socks/tour-compression-socks-w-dark-blood/
Look long!
latest report
I didn’t think mine were compression socks but they did have ‘tour’ or ‘touring’ on the pack. I bought them in St Anton at Intersport by the Rendl base station.
They are definitely long.
They reach my knees whereas my other socks come to maybe 2 inches below the knee?
latest report
Never had a problem getting a variety of cheap, chain store, internet purchased and expensive posh technical socks up my lower leg; in fact, many seem too long.
I'm female too, also skinny feet (though 5, not 11).
Don't have problems with thermal tights or leggings either. None are overly tight, all are stretchy, those which have slightly expanded bottoms (through age) either get resewn or just nicely tuck into the top if my boots.
I would just look at getting new leggings rather than socks.
latest report
Female (5 8", size 7) and defo an issue getting socks to knee length over the years but possibly less so in more recent times. Never trust that they will be okay until I have tried for size. Got to say that Aldi/Lidl (one or both, never remember the difference! Puzzled ) socks have always been long enough.
snow conditions
Another thing I’d add is when I’ve accidentally bought a men’s pair of ski socks which still fit my foot (size 6) then they are longer too up the leg so you could try that.
snow report
Been using a pair of Bridgedale ski socks today that easily come up to my knees. Not sure of the model but they're turquoise and grey and probably came from Go Outdoors.
snow conditions
I have Spyder and Nevica ski socks which have never shrunk and do come to my knee
latest report
The men’s X-socks size 39-41 I had on yesterday were definitely knee length and they didn’t seem too big for my feet.
So you could try them as well.
snow report
@Montana, agreed the Spyder ones don’t shrink.
My Smartwool ones shrunk and that was on a wool wash too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy