Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are, Sweden ????????????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Im thinking of going to ARE SWEDEN in Jan, 18th. Was wondering if anyone knows what its like round that time, had a look at previous snowpack levels does look so great in Jan.

All thoughts would be gr8.

Hutchy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will be cold and dark.

Go in Mar, when it warms up.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The latitude does makes the place dark sooner than the Alps and Are will be quite cold in Jan.

Been there during Christmas, New year and Easter. The snow was melting quick same as the Alps in Easter.

Are is the biggest in Sweden so it has a lot to offer. It has 3 areas of Duveds/Tegefjalls, Are and Bjorenen. The last two are supposed to be linked but I never caught the place with enough snow to ski the link. Generally the snow is alright and not much for complaint.

It is refreshingly different from the Alps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, going to book it, can deal with the cold but was just worried about the possible lack of snow. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hutchy013, you should be alright. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Are-Duved/6day/top Getting pretty cold up there already by looks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The thing I likes were the well equipped mountain diners where you can bring your own food and eat in comfort. Even have banks of microwaves. Doesn't half save on meals. If you like some wine in the evenings, bring a box in each piece of main luggage... booze is pricey and the gov shop is 10 minutes walk from the main part of town.

Fantastic place though... well worth a visit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes they call them warm rooms which are just large heated empty sheds with tables, benches and chairs for people to have self-packed lunch or cook their own food with the free microwave ovens. They have restaurants as well but packed lunch is popular.

Believe me if you go in Jan you will understand why they exist, as you may need to a place to get the blood circulating again. You know there is such thing as called heated boots which are battery-power heated sole inlays. They are popular in Scandinavia but not needed in the Alps. If I haven't got them I make sure I have a pair of proper thermal socks and gloves.

Very civilised place to visit. Are also has night skiing too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hutchy013, Are is great but....bear in mind that on Jan 18th the Upper zone won't be open. That's about 1/3 of the total skiing and practically all the challenging stuff.

I can imagine that it's half the price to go in January rather than March. It probably is twice as good in March tho'
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So when does the full resort open?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hutchy013, I wouldn't worry too much about the cold/dark aspect.

I've been to Scandinavia many times in January - and IMO it's not so bad.

Days are bit shorter - based on my experience in Norway, lifts usually open 9.30 - 3.30pm (from memory) - but there's still plenty of time for skiing.

It will be cold - but as long as you've got reasonable kit - you'll be fine.

Never been to Are - but I've heard it's lovely place to go. The Scandinavians know how to party, so the nightlife should be good too Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hutchy013, I'd give the tourist office a ring to ask when the Upper Zone usually opens. It's weather dependent so varies each year - my impression is that a set of 3 drag lifts up one side starts to open most days in Early Feb, then the main cable car and upper zone lifts open towards the end of Feb. I went in March 2006 (I think) and I remember the first day it was fully open was 28th Feb.

It is a fantastic resort though, with a lot to do off the slopes and generally a lovely place to be. Personally if I was getting a really good deal in mid Jan at the Tott or Holiday Club I would go for it. But do look at the piste map and the Upper/Lower zones and see whether there's enough in the Lower Zone (60Km guesstimate?) for the skiing preferences of you and your companions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are is quite north and well passes Trodheim. Thus it is a bit colder and turning dark sooner. Yes there should be plenty of skiing and I would say one loses between 0.5 to 0.45 hour in a day. The lifts stop also sooner than those in the Alps.

It can have cold and windy spells totally impossible to ski but that happens at a high altitude and very rare. I remember once went up in a cable car. No one walked out of the station because it was like in North Pole with a strong blizzard. That was the first time I understood what chill factor really means and why people could get killed in a blizzard. Luckily that was the only incidence I experienced in a resort that no one dare to go out skiing and took shelter inside a cable car station. Lower down in the resort it was business as usual. Skiing below -15 degree C is not unusual in the Scandinavian resorts.

My coldest skiing experience was actually in Les Arcs of France when at the top of Aiguille Rouge the temperature dropped to -26 degree C. People could ski then because there was little wind. It was a real "shaking" experience.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was there (March I think) a couple of the best blacks were shut. I went down one of them and it was a mass of deep frozen track ruts which made for choices between very, very short turns or bouncing your fillings out. Not to be advised. However, looking at the hills, the resort to the right has a fantastic red ungroomed forest run, plus you can then catch the lift back up and ski over to the main middle section.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for all your help guys Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy