Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lightweight day pack for ski touring/mountaineering

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the market for a backpack for ski touring/ski mountaineering day trips and I'm keen to hear your suggestions.

Aside from the usual features associated with this category of backpacks, I'd really like the following:

- Around 30L of capacity
- Compatibility with hydration reservoir system
- Helmet carry system
- Diagonal ski mount
- Weight of less than 1.25kg

My budget limit is around GBP150.

The following backpacks have caught my attention so far [UPDATED]:

- Exped Mountain Pro (not much information about it online)
- Osprey Kamber 32 (a bit on the heavy side)
- Mammut Spindrift 32
- Arc'teryx Khamski 31 (no longer in production, but available online)
- Gregory Targhee 32
- Ortovox Ascent 32 (light with plenty of features)
- Evoc Patrol 32 (a bit on the heavy side)
- Simond Mountaineering Backpack 33 (fantastic value for money)
- Salewa Randonee 30L
- Deuter Rise Lite 28
- Lowe Alpine Descent 35 (low weight, plenty of features, reasonable price)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-01-19 18:25; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Patagonia Descensionist or SnowDrifter?

Keep your eye out on Gumtree, I got a Decensionist off a bloke who used it to go to the shops! Near perfect condition and £40
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@coolbeanz, I've got the Ortovox Tour Rider and it ticks all the right boxes for me Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@coolbeanz, Black diamond dawn patrol comes in a 32L size, I use the 15L one, and it works very well, its also very light and the diagonal ski mount is very good. You can also attach an avalung if you want.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been really impressed with the Exped range of packs that a few guides I know are now using.

I've been banned by the OH for buying yet another pack Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/CC4Hytmxpgs
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also

https://www.bergfreunde.eu/exped-glissade-25-ski-touring-backpack/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In that range you should look at deuter pace 30 - everything on your tick list and only 900g. Reasonable price for Deuter too (RRP £90)
and 40% off here
https://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=5869&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluecwIKC4AIV5DLTCh3BVQNeEAQYAiABEgLRcvD_BwE

I bought one after deciding my deuter guide 35+ (superb though it is) was an area where an middle aged man could make some meaningful weight savings that didn't involve eating less!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve got an Ortovox Tour Rider as well
It’s light, much lighter than my other Evoc pack.
The only things I don’t like about it is you can’t zip the hydration tube away (not a big deal as I would need to take a wide mouthed bottle mountaineering anyway not a Camelbak) and there’s no separate partition or compartment for avi gear. I’ve got around that by keeping it in the main compartment but in a dry bag.
The Evoc pack beats it hands down in every way other than weight.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@coolbeanz, have a look at the new arctryx SK 32 , seriously good bit of kit , bit over your budget but does deliver on all fronts except hydration

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/alpha-sk-32-backpack
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-pack-33l-s-m-turquoise-id_8360595.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JackSkier wrote:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-pack-33l-s-m-turquoise-id_8360595.html

39 quid? the poster is not exactly going to get bragging rights in the bar with a 39 quid rucksack is he? Be serious now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve never had any Decathlon stuff
Is it any good in terms of being robust, not seams coming undone etc?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JackSkier wrote:

I'll put it out there: I was expecting to spend a lot more money, but this Simond pack does actually fit the bill very well. It even weighs just 980g. I've actually seen quite a few guides in Chamonix rocking bits and pieces of their gear. My only concern is over durability. I understand that they're owned by Decathlon these days - not sure whether this is a good thing, or not.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I looked at the Kamber 32, Targhee 32 and Ortovox Haute Route 32 before Christmas and ended up with the Kamber 32 as a replacement for my Osprey Mutant 28 as my main skiing bag.

Has all the features you’re looking for. I wasn’t too concerned about the weight as once it’s loaded it holds and distribute the weight quite well.

It was the cheapest of the 3 (£100) and as I already have 2 other Osprey backpacks (Mutant 28 and Atmos 65) I knew how good quality and comfortable they are.

I’ve had good customer service from Osprey with them sending spear parts without changing and all their stuff have a lifetime warranty.

I would recommend trying them on if you can. My local shop had 2 of them in stock and they allowed me to strap some skis on to feel how they fit loaded.
ski holidays
@coolbeanz, I own several bits of Decathlon kit and have not had any issues with durability. I went and looked at the Simond mountaineering pack recently and was impressed. It ticked pretty much every box for me as a touring pack and looked well made. In the end, I went with a Black Diamond Cirque 35, because I preferred the closure system at the top of the pack, but it was a close run thing.
latest report
Some of you may be aware that I recently wrote a feature on in resort ski touring.

I actually started it with the following

The other day we popped into Decathlon to buy some Ice grippers and in store, we noticed that there was a definite focus on ski randonnée / ski touring equipment, not just clothing but skis as well!

There was also some good quality clothing with the brand name, Simond, which on further research is based in the Chamonix Valley, and has been developing mountaineering equipment for over 150 years and Simond is now part of the Decathlon group.

I just hope that Decathlon is not going down the same route as that of Mike Ashley and Sports Direct, in taking over quality established brands such as Karrimor and destroying all that they once stood for by cheapening the quality of the product.

Anyway from what I saw, and had a good look at it was damn good stuff.
snow report
@Weathercam,

The Simond stuff is actually really good as well as being good value. Axes, crampons etc are still made in the Chamonix factory I believe.
When we spent our first summer holiday I went down to the big decathlon at Passy and replaced my old and semi-retired climbing gear plus rock shoes, harnesses, helmets for the kids largely with Simond stuff at a very reasonable prices

Subsequently had a French guide recommend the gear too. It was in the context of him commenting on some Mountain Equipment kit - he said he used to have a pro deal with them and thought the gear was excellent value for money and the other brand that he thought offered really good performance for the price was Simond.
ski holidays
Ooh well this is all good to know considering the price of it!
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, like I said, just hope that now Decathlon own them the brand is not diminished in terms of quality etc a la Sports Direct and Karrimor etc

And I've been using the Decathlon fingerless gloves for a range of activities in the recent cold temps, ski touring, piste skiing and cross country and they are truly excellent and only €14

snow report
Weathercam wrote:

There was also some good quality clothing with the brand name, Simond, which on further research is based in the Chamonix Valley, and has been developing mountaineering equipment for over 150 years and Simond is now part of the Decathlon group.

Since 2008.
snow report
I've got quite a bit of clothing from Simond and it's all been great. Fantastic value for money, and the Simond name overcomes the slight brand snobbery I have about wearing gear with Wedze or Quechua on it (not sure why?)
snow conditions
@JackSkier, good to know
snow conditions
Without actually having seen any of the backpacks in person, these are the main contenders in my mind as things stand:

- Ortovox Ascent 32: Ticks all the boxes in a very lightweight package
- Exped Mountain Pro: Most versatile - can be used for much more than just ski touring/ski mountaineering
- Simond Mountaineering Backpack 33: The budget underdog
ski holidays
was looking at a Salewa https://www.salewa.com/winter-train-26-backpack-00-0000001236?c=516658 ski touring bag - 860 g and 26 L - which looked very well designed in Snell in Cham on Sunday. If I didn't have my Patagonia Descentionist I would have been tempted!
snow report
mishmash wrote:
was looking at a Salewa https://www.salewa.com/winter-train-26-backpack-00-0000001236?c=516658 ski touring bag - 860 g and 26 L - which looked very well designed in Snell in Cham on Sunday. If I didn't have my Patagonia Descentionist I would have been tempted!

I was looking at that pack and the other Dynafit/Salewa models at the annual trade show yesterday - very impressed.
snow conditions
I like the Salewa, expect that it looks to be a bit on the small size, even for day-long tours.

In fact, I'm very confused how the Salewa Train 26 is just 4 litres smaller than, say, the Salewa Randonee 30L... Confused

I think I actually really like the Randonee - decent price, plenty of features and low weight. My only worry is that, in contrast to the Train 26, it might be a bit big for single-day use despite the 30L claim.
latest report
@coolbeanz, fwiw, I use an Osprey backpack (switch 16) regular for my run commute. compared to a variety of other packs used in the past (north face, berghause, Lowe alpin), I find the Osprey
- the most comfortable
- the best fitting
- the best designed (in terms of pocket size, location, zip design, general layout)

whilst light weight can be important, the 'usability' (e.g. being able to reach into a waist pocket and get compass, trail mix, phone etc) I find v.convenient, and when packed correctly, saving a few 100g of weight on the pack is immaterial.

ymmv, of course!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to big up Osprey a wee bit - I've an Osprey Kode 22 I bought from someone on here years ago - snagged the waist strap buckle clip in a chairlift and burst one side it.

Emailed Osprey last week to ask if they could possibly supply a spare/replacement.

They don't make that pack or spare parts for it any more but asked for some measurements of the strapping width etc and a pair of new male/female buckles arrived in the post the next completely day free of charge.

Sure it cost them a few quid at most but absolutely superlative customer service to provide indefinite warranty to a second hand owner of one of their products.
snow report
@bobalexander1983, I have a Kode 22 and find its well compartmentalised and just the right size for a day in the mountains.
snow conditions
Agree on the Osprey's customer service. I own a few mountain biking-specific products from them and they always came through for me whenever I had a problem.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
In that range you should look at deuter pace 30 - everything on your tick list and only 900g. Reasonable price for Deuter too (RRP £90)
and 40% off here
https://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=5869&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIluecwIKC4AIV5DLTCh3BVQNeEAQYAiABEgLRcvD_BwE
!

+1 for the Pace.
snow conditions
Sorry to revive the thread, but I think I've found my new top pick: the Lowe Alpine Descent 35. It weights just 1.1kg and is packed to the brim with useful features and 35l of storage.
snow report
@coolbeanz, looks good
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy