Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmet advice - sorry if it's been asked before!

Poster: A snowHead
It's been ages since I went skiing and the subject of ski helmets has never come up before - I've always been a 'hat and goggles' kind of person. However, I've noticed that ski insurance is now stating that I have to wear safety equipment such as a helmet, so, much as it pains me, I'm looking into it.

So, are the cheaper (maybe Decathlon) ones ok or would I have to go for a more expensive one in order for it to not move around all the time and be comfortable? I have a pea-sized head and it's difficult enough to get a hat to stay on! Recommendations would be gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Make sure it fits correctly
2. Decide, if like me, if you prefer cloth over the ears...as opposed to solid helmet.
3. Check out the fitting system....I like the Salomon air pump system
4. Decide if you are likely to wear a balaclava or skull cap under the helmet for warmth....and make sure there is room for that.
5. Make yourself aware of the different safety systems and decide if you want to pay extra for them eg. MIPS
6. Check out the venting system and how easy it is to operate....my helmet has a lever that opens and closes vents.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Singerjulie, Just depends on what fits your head , different makes tend to suit different head shapes, and also what fits with your goggles, (smith for example have a goggle vent system, it pulls air through your goggles) so go and try some on. More expensive tend to have better more controllable venting and be a bit lighter.

cross post with above, but will leave as is
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All helmets have to conform to minimum safety standards, even ones from Decathlon. A poorly fitting helmet is next to useless, but fit is generally unrelated to price, so buy whatever is comfortable. I have a small head and an XXS helmet from Salomon. You may have to try a few places to find something.

Or change insurance companies. I do wear a helmet, but would still prefer not to have such a clause.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I think I'll be out helmet-shopping tomorrow!

@Scarlet, I've literally just bought the insurance - I couldn't find one without that clause!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What they said.
Nothing beats trying them on.
Make sure you can adjust chin (and other) strap(s) and headband tightness and overall size for hat, scarf, balaclava, buffs etc underneath or around (or not), and also that all things adjust as easily and quickly as possible.
Ones with lots of vents look great, and/or are super duper clever, but vents can be blinking cold when it's cold or windy. I prefer a dimple, basic, older style round one, and don't really overheat even though I wear a bandana buff headband under (to stop my hair getting in my eyes) and have no venting at all in mine.
I like ones with cloth ear coverings, and removable ones for when it's warm.
I also have a tiny head and face, so goggles are a pain to get to fit with a helmet as well as the helmet itself. Take your goggles with you when you try on helmets.
Try junior helmets, maybe?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Singerjulie wrote:
It's been ages since I went skiing and the subject of ski helmets has never come up before - I've always been a 'hat and goggles' kind of person. However, I've noticed that ski insurance is now stating that I have to wear safety equipment such as a helmet, so, much as it pains me, I'm looking into it.

So, are the cheaper (maybe Decathlon) ones ok or would I have to go for a more expensive one in order for it to not move around all the time and be comfortable? I have a pea-sized head and it's difficult enough to get a hat to stay on! Recommendations would be gratefully received.

I have a small head...only a small giro fits. Everything else I tried were like buckets
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Daughter has a very small head....and a Head Helmet works.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
My Daughter has a very small head....and a Head Helmet works.

I think that’s the general idea of helmets, an back bottom helmet would just be silly
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What they are all said... try them on. The fit and the sizing varies humongously between brands & models.

If you have goggles you wish to keep, then try them on with the helmets. Most modern helmets and goggles seem to play together nicely, but I am sure there will be exceptions.

Finally, some of the chin strap fasteners are more fiddly than others. Don’t let the shop assistant do it up, do it yourself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One point that is often forgotten is that the chin strap is there to stop the helmet coming off after the first or more impacts, it’s not there as the initial means of keeping the helmet on your head.

When trying on helmets adjust whatever adjusters it has, but don’t do up the chin strap, then shake your head vigorously, and bend down to touch your toes, if the helmet falls off or rotates significantly, try a different helmet.

Once you have done up the chin strap, it should be tight enough that you can feel it when opening your mouth wide, and as a final test try removing the helmet wihout undoing the chin strap. If it comes off, it’s pretty much useless, and just a fashion accessory.

The same of course applies if you are buying or renting helmets for children.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avoid helmets where the vents adjust via the addition or removal of pieces of foam (e.g. Giro). They get lost and it is a pain to get spares. Ask me how I know... Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kditrj2d wrote:
Avoid helmets where the vents adjust via the addition or removal of pieces of foam (e.g. Giro).

My Giro Edit helmet doesn’t have this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember not to have a large gap between your eyebrows and the helmet...

It's amazing how many folk have helmets that don't fit - leaving a massive gap, with the helmet perched on the the back of the head like a bonnet. (One finger width should be the maximum gap).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, need to try them on as people have different shape/size heads and comfort is vital.
snow report
There are different safety standards for ski helmets. For thsoe of you with a very powerful inner nerd they are EN 1077 A and EN 1077B.

A - for racing

B recreational.

the A standard was changed last year and helmets will also have a FIS certification that meet the latest (race) standard.

When racing you are not allowed to have: brims / peaks, protruding vents or GoPro / similar mounts as these can all catch in netting and lead to an abrubt deceleration of the head- and breaking of the neck.
snow conditions
I have a Cebe Contest Visor Pro and I am often too hot with it. Claims to have integrated ventilation which is just some foam over the gaps, imo is ineffective. Comfort and therefore good venting is key I think. I would go for proper function at whatever expense if I were buying again, cant put a price on that. It's a key piece of kit.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
kditrj2d wrote:
Avoid helmets where the vents adjust via the addition or removal of pieces of foam (e.g. Giro).

My Giro Edit helmet doesn’t have this.

nor does mine - G10 has slidey thing
snow conditions
That's a lot of things to take into consideration. I ordered one online, and went to pick it up today. It didn't fit, but I found one in-store that did, so I exchanged for that one. Had to buy new goggles though as my old ones were too big for it, so thanks for all the tips!! Smile
ski holidays
I have a £160 Oakley mod 5 helmet
My friend baught a decathlon £16 special. It grieves me to say that the decathlon one appears to be just as good as my Oakley one. It even has vent control too. After a week in cham my friend said it was extremely comfortable. All the French had them too
snow report
@dave_3, It was a Decathlon one I bought... Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy