Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

140cm skis fro a terrified skier ⛷

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I’m new so please be kind to me xx

I’m a very nervous skier! Scared of heights, mountains, ski lifts, basically everything...... my husband and my son are both very good so I owe it to them to get over my issues and pull up my big girl pants!

I am around 5ft & 10 stone (yes I do enjoy wine and food) I find a slightly shorter ski easier and this stops me crossing the tips over and ending up in a mess on the floor. Recently I skied at Hemel Hempstead, they gave me a 140cm “Head” ski. We got on really well and my skiing felt better and more controlled, so since then I have been trying to by my own of the same skis and all I can find is a junior model.... I fact anything in “Head” in 140cm is a junior.
SO.... are the hire skis Junior in this length? The juniors go up to about 13stone in weight, so should I just buy those. Can anyone recommend a set of shorter skis for me so I don’t end up in a blubbering mess at the top of a mountain?...
Please help xx Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worth speaking to Hemel to find out what model it is. They may even sell you a pair of ex rentals....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All I can do is link to something that might work.

These beginner skis come in short lengths and are not expensive: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/atomic/vantage_w_x_74_e_lithium_10_l80_white_transparent-134889.html

Ladies Skis are often lighter, with the binding mounted to take account of Female physiology.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome Smile
The exact model of skis at the dome are unlikely to be easily available to buy and, as you say, 140 is hard to get in an adult size, although some female skis go pretty near it in some makes. But some junior skis would be OK for your weight I would think. (Others will be more knowledgeable than I.) There are many ski makes out there, don't just look for Heads (although of course if you liked them, then if you can find them that's fine).

I am 5' 5" and was about 10.5 stone when I started skiing, and my first skis were 144 Elan piste carving skis (Elans at that time recommended slightly shorter lengths than other makes anyway). A little short, some might say: but I loved them, and felt very confident on them on everything from ice to soft choppy snow, and had lots of fun. I don't feel that they held me back at all. Eventually, when I felt confident and wanted to go faster, I upgraded to the 152 version, and now ski around 152-155 in other piste skis (longer if they have rocker tips).
You could look at the current Elan range (Google them in the UK as not widely available in shops here) as they do junior and short ladies' skis which might suit you.
Otherwise, see what's for sale on EBay, Glisshop and all the other internet sellers, both for girls', juniors', women's and unisex, and read reviews and do your research. I'm sure there will be some good beginner to intermediate skis there. Bear in mind that if you buy something now it should last you a good few years through which you will get better and more confident.
Also go to shops that sell skis, like at Hemel, and ask what they'd recommend and could get for you.

Hope that you find something nice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SallySunshine, maybe you should carry on renting until those big girl pants are in the right place? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
All I can do is link to something that might work.

These beginner skis come in short lengths and are not expensive: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/atomic/vantage_w_x_74_e_lithium_10_l80_white_transparent-134889.html

Ladies Skis are often lighter, with the binding mounted to take account of Female physiology.

+1 for that - looks ideal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SallySunshine, My other half has a pair of rossignol famous 4 (they do a 2 as well) and they go down to 142cm, and she loves them (has them in a 149cm). From a really nervous skier, now going down blues and the odd easy red confidently, and Quote "these make it miles easier"

https://www.rossignol.com/int-en/rossignol-famous-4-xpress-skis-alpine-rahbk03-000-2018-2019.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SallySunshine, personally, I think you should stick with the hire shop and gradually increase the length to 150 and beyond as you improve. But if you definitely want to buy, consider posting a wanted ad in the buy/sell section – yes, beginner skis are not expensive, but they are also the type which others “grow out of” and will want to sell on, often still in good condition.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
140cm sounds spot on. Much is made of longer skis being for better skiers but I don't find this to be the case at all. Try a few intermediate on-piste skis from your friendly hire shop and go for the ones you like best. Most hire shops will let you chop and change through the week, especially if you say you are interested in buying. Forget 'All-mountain' skis if you like the Hemel hire skis, they have an on-piste shape and are at the lower intermediate end of the flex scale - mostly because you can't go fast enough in the fridge to trouble the limits of them. I think the Hemel skis are quite fun if you get a pair with edges!

PS. My sister is 5'2" and is a decent skier. She had 170's for ages and struggled in bumpy terrain. Last year she hired 150's and found them to be a complete revelation. Happy skiing!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife uses Atomic ETL 123cm ... I like wearing them too ..
(A bit like her underwear) Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone, have gone for these ones https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/atomic/vantage_w_x_74_e_lithium_10_l80_white_transparent-134889.html

Off in a couple of weeks so look forward to trying them out! Wish me luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SallySunshine wrote:
Thanks everyone, have gone for these ones https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/atomic/vantage_w_x_74_e_lithium_10_l80_white_transparent-134889.html

Off in a couple of weeks so look forward to trying them out! Wish me luck Very Happy

Looks a perfectly good choice, good luck!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a similar size, but heavier. Last trip I told the hire shop I liked short skis and they gave me 143cm. I asked the instructor to watch out to see if there were signs that they were too short. We concluded they were fine at my speeds - even when schussing along to get over a slight uphill section they didn't get unstable. But I am aware they could get unstable if I go faster.

I've also tried different lengths in my local fridge and much prefer 145's to the 150 somthings they sometimes give me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SallySunshine wrote:

Given I feel responsible, please report back on how you get on with them.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Given your outlook and stage you are in learning, I can't see an issue with the choice you've made regarding length of ski.

Vital to you is building confidence and gaining skills which they'll easily facilitate. I know the reasons for graduating to longer skis but can also see if you are tentative it can easily tip the balance away from that you are trying to achieve if pushed indiscriminately based on just pure numbers.

By way of illustration, we bought (from renting them with adjustable bindings) some 150cm skis for my son. As I could move bindings to fit my boots, I tried them myself although way out of "technical" range. A bit slow for me as I'm too heavy, but other than that they really had no issue's. Illustrating that there can be a huge range of acceptance for most skis. They are now with my daughter from last year's trip, 11 yrs old and skiing since she was 4yrs, again without any issue's. She loves them.

We've had quite a few people in ski groups with the same outlook, emphatically I'd go for the confidence element first as it will always facilitate learning. You'll definitely know when you come to dominate a specific ski, at which point it'll be more clear to you how you want to move up. But definitely build the foundation first.

You'll have time to get used to them properly and recognise as you add skills while using a consistent technical platform. Hope you enjoy them Very Happy
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
SallySunshine wrote:

Given I feel responsible, please report back on how you get on with them.

Good luck.

I most certainly will do Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy