Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski sleeves

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought some shiny new skis and heading to Banff in March.

Don’t want them getting too scraped on the ski bus- i’m sure I read on here that people had used ski sleeves for this purpose- I imagined a ski sleeve as a something thin and lightweight- like the leg of a pair of tights that would fit in a pocket. When I google ski sleeve I just get lightweight ski bags- too big and bulky.

Do ski sleeves as i’ve imagined exist?!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MCL, never heard of them...I wouldn't bother. Shiny new skis will get marked just skiing them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MCL, in 49 years... no.

Wouldn’t you want them on your skis all the time, including when skiing on them if you are that precious? How do they get scraped on a bus anyway? Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, they get chucked into the luggage compartment
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LOL
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, what luggage compartment?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a £9 ski bag.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go to the hardware store when you arrive. Buy a length of drainpipe. Cunningly disguise it when you leave it at the hill by placing vertically against a building.

Bonus. If attacked by bears you can make an A team style cabbage mortar/bazooka.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, brown bears or black bears?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Suck it up. They're tools. Your skis will get scratched and that's all there is to it. Even if you could buy stuff to wrap them in, you really don't want to do that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Black mainly. If attacked by a Grizzly you're probably fecked. Maybe season the cabbages with some cayenne pepper.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.sinclair-rush.co.uk/categories/netting/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233114788517

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/protective-sleeving/protective-sleeving/superior-protective-sleeving-hanks-and-reels-/f/11508

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 30-01-19 22:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Incidentally, in my limited experience (of over a decade ago) in Banff, each skier gets to place their skis in the luggage bays in the side of the coach. They don't all just get chucked in any old how. So if you're early to load, you can place them bases down and to one side.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philwig, but, what about The Bears? I’m more worried about them, now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski holidays
Black bears visit the Bear Paw lodge but up on the hill at Kicking Horse there is a grizzly called Boo who lives in his electric fenced
enclosure.

http://youtube.com/v/MLNXzqzR4sk
The gondola goes right over the top of him.
But he should be asleep till spring.
snow report
You could get in touch with these people https://www.prweb.com/releases/yarn_bombing/yarnplaces/prweb11126704.htm

I'm going to buy some socks for my car to keep the tires warm Very Happy what-ya-mean, someone's already made them for getting out of carparks when it's snowing? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@holidayloverxx, what luggage compartment?

The ski bus in Banff is a coach..so the luggage compartment along the sides

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 30-01-19 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Incidentally, in my limited experience (of over a decade ago) in Banff, each skier gets to place their skis in the luggage bays in the side of the coach. They don't all just get chucked in any old how. So if you're early to load, you can place them bases down and to one side.

Lol...bases side down. You were lucky. Yes you put them in yourself but as the driver starts getting antsy about how long it's taking he starts chucking them in..then everyone drags them out at the other end. As our driver said...we can do this one of 2 ways, my way or no way
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, well, you know, what are you doing with them the rest of the time? (snow/ice/rocks, etc...) rolling eyes
snow conditions
@under a new name, indeed. I couldn't care less.
ski holidays
Do you wrap new cars in a big sock as well?
ski holidays
Actually, it's a good idea, but not to protect the ski. I'm sure most people stuff their ski bags with their clothes. I've had enough pairs of thermals cut from ski edges. So now I use the legs of old jeans to cover the skis so they don't cut my clothes Smile
snow conditions
Use one of those cheap ski straps and strap them base to base.

Re Bears: Drop and pretend you're dead.
snow report
@Canuck, yes, I've been keeping eye out for years for a product that would protect clothing from skis. For just a plain week I can get away with just hand luggage, but if I'm away for longer periods (mixed with hiking and such) I stick clothes in with my skis. Edges and very expensive soft goods are not a good mix. I usually wrap my skis in commercial dust sheets as they're tough and light, but they're far from ideal... I would love a hard wearing sock-type thing with draw string ends for this exact situation; maybe I should get off my aarse and make one... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Just cut up some old jeans @Thomasski, Smile
latest report
I think a 'sleeve' made of old trouser legs would look pretty cool actually! You've tempted me! It's now on my project list!
snow report
marodo2712 wrote:

Re Bears: Drop and pretend you're dead.

Doesn’t that just ruin the fun for the bear.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t4tomo,

Quote:

Doesn’t that just ruin the fun for the bear.

Sorry, I forgot we have to be bear inclusive. Laughing
snow report
The most noticeable damage on new skis happens not in transfer buses, nor in lift queues, but when put in the metal skiracks either on the back of minibuses or outside the bubble as you go up.
For what it's worth, I'll be covering the top sheets at the tail of my new skis with helicopter tape, at least until the fronts look a little used..
As for travelling in the ski bag, mine are protected by lengths of the expanding nylon net ,which does pretty much what bubble wrap used to .
ski holidays
If you are really that concerned and want a cheap, easy and stowable solution to protect them, go buy a couple of pairs of kids school tights, cut each pair in half and you then pull one tip to binding and one tail to bindings. Repeat on the other ski.
snow report
Lol not that concerned about my skis but thought it would be a handy invention if existed - must have dreamt it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy