Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turin as a base for ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Folks,

I'm planning ahead for next Feb half term.

My wife and I have decided that we would like to take a look at Turin and I thought we could kill two birds etc.

A quick Google suggests that skiing seems to be quite accessible, so the plan is a week away -, leave the wife to explore the city in the day time while Junior and i drive up to the Alps to ski.

Flights seem quite reasonable and at first glance, Air BNB accomodation also available.

Has anybody done this? - Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ElDiablo, I've not done it, but as long as you don't get caught up in the heavy traffic on the ring road around the city, you can probably be at the bottom end of Milky Way in about 45 minutes. (Cesana Torinese), the Aosta valley is also not too far, and Bardonecchia. Make sure you are staying at the 'right' side of the city.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElDiablo, ok few issues, Turin city center is a PITA with a car, when I go into Turin I get the bus from the airport.

Turin itself is a great city, small enough to walk around and easily get to know, friends have Air BNB'd for three days then caught the train to Oulx and I've collected them.

My suggestion/strategy might be Air BNB near Porta Nuova train station right in the city centre, then you have options of getting the train to Oulx and from there and buses to Sauze / Sestriere etc or what I might do in your shoes, is rent a car leave skis etc in the car and leave car at suburban railway car park and get train into town then you have more options as to where you can go in the Milky Way and further afield if feeling adventurous.

Pila / Aosta is a great resort, the likes of Gressony etc are also not too far, but Pila Aosta far more accessible than those.

Your decision will be based on do you stay in Turin and travel out to ski, or does your OH stay in a ski resort and travel into Turin, I have a name of someone who rents appts out in Sauze.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells and Weathercam, thanks for the sound advice.

I'm thinking maybe either staying in an Airbnb outside the city close to a rail station or in resort with decent rail links to Turin might be the best options.

@ Weathercam, thanks for the offer of the name. I'll send you a pm.

Thanks both,

Adam.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ElDiablo, The fastest trains between Porta Nuova and Oulx won't stop at many other stations. Check the timetables to see what will work.

I have stayed near Porta Nuova and skied at Sauze and Sestriere one weekend when I was due to work in Turin the following week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There’s a fast cheap train to Aosta the Station is a short walk from the lift, so somewhere near the station in Turin. The motorway way is quite expensive and although cheap I suspect the coach a little slow. You may be able to stash ski stuff at the of the Pila lift but I’m not sure. One bit of good news is he Aosta valley pass covers loads of resorts accessible from Turin. Personally I wouldn’t do it that way round, I’d stay in Aosta and do trips to Turin.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It really sounds like a false, good idea, trying to satisfy everyone and you'll end up satisfying no one. Driving / training / bussing up to resort everyday is really a bit of a chore.

First of all staying near Porta Nuova isn't really the best bit of town, well unless you want to score some crack and make up a 3-sum with the local working girls. It is not bad but not really the best bit of Turin, the only reason I'd go there is to catch the metro to the car museum. I'm in Turin a lot and would suggest being over at the Palazzo Reale end of things. When I say in Turin it is somewhere like the Piazze Carlina or the Town House but I appreciate these maybe don't fit with your idea of AirBnB but try and find somewhere more in these areas to stay, they are much more pleasant. Don't stay anywhere north of Corso Regina Margherita either.

As for driving, I've not personally noticed much of an issue, nor major problems with the traffic. Driving in a strange city is a bit like having sex for the first time, once you've done it once you pretty much know the route. There was an inner city congestion charge zone but I don't think it is still operating. The only vehicle advice I can give is that the Via Po is suboptimal on a lightweight carbon racing bike.

The city has great shopping, incl. outlet villages, and museums as well as eating (especially the chocolate for which Turin is famous).

Personally I wouldn't leave an unattended car anywhere but in secure parking in Italy, especially if I were to leave anything inside. Count around 25euros / 24 hours to park in Turin.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy