Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria winter driving

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this is the wrong area of this forum in which to post this question but couldn't work out I should put it...

I understand that in the alpine regions of Austria winter tyres are required / obligatory during the winter months, but do they have to be on all four wheels, particularly if a vehicle is front wheel drive? In other words, in the case of front wheel drive vehicles where obviously all the power and all the steering, and most of the braking effect, are through the front wheels, is it a legal requirement to have winter tyres on the rear wheels also? (Given that they do little more than keep the back of the car off the ground and follow where the front takes them! And yes, I am of course aware that without winter tyres on the rear wheels oversteer is a distinct possibility, and that rear wheels do a lot more, in fact, than holding up the back of the vehicle!). Thank you for your advice fellow snowHeads!
[edited following the first response, from leggyblonde!]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-02-19 22:15; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AG, yes otherwise you risk turn-in oversteer!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leggyblonde wrote:

True indeed leggyblonde, I perhaps should have mentioned that originally as I do know it, I meant is it a legal requirement? Any idea? Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AG, I live in Austria, yes, you must have winter tyres on all wheels. Summer tyres are not safe. HTH Ange
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote from help.gv.at

Passenger Cars and Trucks with a Permissible Maximum Weight of up to 3.5 t

Between 1 November and 15 April, passenger cars and trucks with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 t may be operated in winter conditions such as snow-covered tracks, snowy slush or ice only if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels.

As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice.

Edited to add completely agree with @Flangesax about the safety aspect.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AG, yes, it is a legal requirement and yes, it is for good reasons.

The rear wheels do a whole lot more than just keep the back off the ground. They also keep the back on the road. Mixing summer and winter tyres can actually be more dangerous than going with just summer tyres.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you need 4 winter tyres. it is slippery out there if you are contemplating being out right now. you will get nowhere above c 800 m with only 2 and it is illegal. if you are an experienced driver 4 good winter tyres just work, if you know what you are doing, although it is quite exciting on the back roads.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hijacking slightly (sorry!) but still sort of on topic! Rental cars are marked as "winterised" (Salzburg airport, at any rate) but does that only mean winter tyres? Will they include chains? Given the conditions are rather more snowy than in a usual year! Will we actually need chains, for staying with @flangesax and visiting the various local slopes in two weeks? snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sparklies, tyres yes chains no. Never say never but unlikely to need them
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is not just mountain regions that require winter tyres. In Germany winter tyres are obligatory (on all four wheels) if the conditions demand them. In practical terms that means you need to have winter tyres from the middle of October until the end of March, carrying around a set of snow chains does not count. Given that you will almost certainly need to drive through Germany on your way to Austria you need to ensure you have the correct tyres fitted on all four wheels.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AG wrote:
leggyblonde wrote:

True indeed leggyblonde, I perhaps should have mentioned that originally as I do know it, I meant is it a legal requirement? Any idea? Thanks.

It is the single most stupid idea to put only two winter tyres
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, thanks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have just got back from Austria. Four weeks ago we were in St Gallenkirch for a week and we were up a steep narrow road. All the cars in the apartment building had chains on as well as winter tyres, including us, and so did many of the cars around. Our car is 4WD and we have winter tyres on it. Second morning we managed to get off the road to avoid being hit by a German Audi, which would have had the correct tyres, but no chains and it was simply sliding sideways down the road, with some of its passengers attempting to hold on to it. The following week we were in Tux, again up a narrow steep hill and after a very heavy snowfall after we arrived the chains were out again. Our landlady, so a local, had chains on her car too. In many years driving in France we had never needed to have chains in addition to the winter tyres and 4WD, we were lucky there that the local school was at the top of our road so it was one of the first to be cleared on school days.

@sparklies, we didn’t need chains while we were staying with @flangesax.

So never say never.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pamski, thanks! Wow, Austria really does sound like it's had a once in a generation snowfall this season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sparklies wrote:
@Pamski, thanks! Wow, Austria really does sound like it's had a once in a generation snowfall this season.

Really looking forward to it.

Looking at forecasts a bit more forecast for Monday / Tuesday but not a lot more before we go.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy