Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon XDR 88 Ti vs Brahma vs Brahma CA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Used a 2018 Brahma in 180 length last week which I found to be too powerful, swapped for older Brahma in 173 which I really liked on and off the piste, but notice that the Salomon XDR 88 Ti may have similar performance but be slightly less “full on” than the 2018 Brahma, or should I look at the Brahma CA? I am 83kg and 1.8m. I consider myself an advanced intermediate. I am looking for a carver with good edge hold and ok for occasional forays away from the piste. I would appreciate any feedback Snowheads may have of these skis particularly if they have tried the XDR 88.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not skied the Sallie but I've had a lot of time on the Brahma. Surprised that you found the 180 Brahma too powerful as it's perfect for your stats. The Brahma Ca is a Brahma without the metal so it's a bit softer so the 180 Ca would be a good choice. I'd say a 173 Brahma will be similar flex wise to a 180 CA but the 180 is the better length for for you.

The previous non metal Brahma was called the Bushwacker and Blizzard (stupidly) dropped it last season but it's back now as the Ca. And for 18/19 the Ca is reverting back to the Bushwacker name.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DavidYacht, I'm just back from skiing 2 weeks on a new set of XDR84's.

Slightly narrower than your choice but I found them to be a great ski. Light, easy to manoeuvre. Great edge grip and they will rail on piste when you want them to. Demo some if you get a chance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Sallie XDR is a fantastic ski, though given your onpiste priorities I'd go for the 84Ti. Still skis offpiste far more competently than the width suggest (as long as you prefer a precise, deliberate style over surfing around) and really doesn't give up much compared to the 88 there but skis firm pistes better.

I like the Brahma a lot too, though it definitely needs a bit more working to come alive than the XDR. Quite different skis and not so easily comparable as you might imagine. Both pretty much equally competent everywhere, but in different style. The Brahma definitely permits a bit more 'new school' surfy-slarving offpiste and the XDR a bit more traditional carving on piste, but I couldn't say either is categorically better at either - that depends on individual skiers styles.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, Is Bushwacker really an appropriate name for the #metoo generation?

Still, I loved the Brahmas at the last Oktobertest but they were a size small and it was indoors so if anyone fancied bringing some Bushwackers along to the next one for comparison, that would be good. (187 - don't ask, don't get Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It was a quite interesting 9 days, since I was staying in different places in 3V's I was hiring from different places, and also skiing with different instructors/guides. I have used Rossi Experience 84's for a few years and instructor No1 in 1850 sugested trying something lighter. So day two in Meribel switched to 2018 180 Brahmas to start my "introduction to off-piste course", I found these quite full on and exagerated my poor technique, so I went back to the shop (Freeski) asking for shorter and softer, and came out with some older 173 Brahma's (they said that the later Brahma's are stiffer) which I really liked and thought that I skied well on across the conditions.

Last day, back to 1850, the cupboard in the ski shop was bare, and I think I had 180 Dynastar Legend 88's, which were ok, but did not appear to carve very well, or hold an edge, or go through bumps as well as the (old short) Brahma's.

So my albeit small revelation was that it was still fun to ski on piste and in moguls with 88 wide skis, so I might as well take advantage of the extra "float".

I also realised that I realy like carving and grip, so I guess that edges and waist are important. But I am simply not a good enough skier, or maybe don't ski enough to go for a super stiff ski, or one that is overlong.

Given that my revised brief is a bit more specific I am thinking about buying something when the sales start, hence the question.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DavidYacht, I am happy to be corrected, but my understanding is different to what you were told.

- The Brahmas are stiffer than than the Experience 84s
- Later Brahmas are slightly lighter and more user friendly than the older ones (ie. from 2 years ago)
- This year, my Brother (6ft and 11 stone) hired the new Legend X88s in a 180, which he liked (damp, but not too stiff/difficult)....but as there was no off piste available, I suggested he tried the Experience 88 in a 172, which had a turn radius of 15m. These worked much better on Piste for him and would probably also have been fine off piste (though of course not ideal in deep powder).
- If looking for something lighter, you could look at Scott Slight, Head Kore or Atomic Vantage Cti....all of which come in different widths. The new Head Kores seem to have had a good reception...very light, yet stable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of feedback and I might write a more detailed review later.

In the end bought a set of Salomon XDR88 ti’s and used them in anger last week in the 3V’s with 240km under my belt. Whilst I know there is a tendency to like what you have ... these are without doubt the best skis that I have used in 30 weeks of skiing. They were great on piste, carving and in crud, giving good feedback but were not overwhelming (which I found the Brahmas). Stable at speed. Easy in moguls and soft snow. Did a day with an instructor in powder and the skis flattered my abilities. In my book these are a perfect one quiver ski for someone who skis mostly on piste, likes to dabble off the edges or in soft snow and moguls, with the occassional day off piste. I am 83kg and 180cm. I used XDR 88 in 179 with Warden 13 bindings which also worked well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hired a pair of Brahma's as I was interested in buying some having read plenty of good reviews. I do a mix of on \ off piste, I thought they where okay off piste. On piste, I really didn't get on with them. I'm pretty aggressive and tend to ski quite fast, they where pretty unforgiving and lost their edge with little warning. I was happy to return them and go back to my somewhat dated 1080s!. Last year I randomly hired some XDR's as I was in resort sans skis. I was really impressed, from the first run on piste they felt amazing. Off piste I was amazed by how good they worked. It's the first ski I've used that actually seems to live up-to the marketing BS, really good on \ off piste, just my 10c worth. I was just browsing to see everyones opinions as I'm due some new skis and am toying with a pair of these.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice to hear, I've a brand new pair of xdr84ti ready to take to the Dolomites next weekend.

I'm a bit surprised the xdrs seem to have dropped off the radar this year, since they were only new 2017/2018
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went for a pair of XDR80's from ekosport.

they are fabulous...really hold an edge on the hard/icy stuff, very responsive and quick when driven too.

great ski especially for the price
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy