Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria ski area help - steep pistes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Righty,

I'm skiing next week with a mate in kirchberg. We'll ski the ski welt and be out our titzbuhel in kitzbuhel. I think I'll stick around in Austria for another 5 days or so - given the conditions, it'd be wasteful not to.

Any suggestions where to go? As I'll be solo, apres is not a concern. I'd like to ski steep pistes. I know the Arlberg and Ischgl and am looking for suggestions.

If the snow was in good nick, I'd hoof it to Arabba or Kronplatz but I think it's in shabby shape in comparison to Austria,

Any advice is much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could head down to the Tirol. Hintertux has some good runs, Mayrhofen and hochfugen too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sean1967, I presume you will try both the Diretissima and Ochsalm runs above Kirchberg. There is also the run under the top of the Choralmbahn above Westendorf.

For other places the Arlberg is the obvious choice, Langerzug is supposed to be the steepest run in Austria (other places make that claim too), there is a video on the Arlberg thread about it. Lots of other steep stuff, though the Schindlerkar Steilhang is currently closed because of avalanche issues.

I seem to remember there is supposed to a very steep piste at Mayrhofen, there is lots of skiing in the Zillertal and it is easy to get to from Kirchberg on the train.

If you are happy visiting smaller resorts you might ask Clarky on the Innsbruck thread he knows a lot of the Austrian resorts especially around Innsbruck.

Does it have to be Austria? Andermatt in Switzerland is well known for steep runs
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
munich_irish wrote:
@sean1967, I presume you will try both the Diretissima and Ochsalm runs above Kirchberg. There is also the run under the top of the Choralmbahn above Westendorf.

For other places the Arlberg is the obvious choice, Langerzug is supposed to be the steepest run in Austria (other places make that claim too), there is a video on the Arlberg thread about it. Lots of other steep stuff, though the Schindlerkar Steilhang is currently closed because of avalanche issues.

I seem to remember there is supposed to a very steep piste at Mayrhofen, there is lots of skiing in the Zillertal and it is easy to get to from Kirchberg on the train.

If you are happy visiting smaller resorts you might ask Clarky on the Innsbruck thread he knows a lot of the Austrian resorts especially around Innsbruck.

Does it have to be Austria? Andermatt in Switzerland is well known for steep runs

Thanks for the advice.

I'll stay in Austria for ease of transport. Garmisch is under consideration. At the moment I'm thinking Airbnb in innsbruck and ski the nordekette one day, axmur and stubai.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or just go to St Anton
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serfaus has a few properly steep pistes, certainly steeper than Ischgl.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stanton, is the easiest to get to by train. I think I'd stay where you are there are plenty of interesting runs to enjoy.
You can belt around the Ski Safari and there is a particularly steep and moguly run at the most westerly part of Pass Thurn

(From Memory)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get on a train or rental car to Verbier.

Best resort in the world for lift-accessible steeps.

If it must be Austria, go to St Anton. The only steep resort in Austria.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sean1967 wrote:
Or just go to St Anton

would be my choice. Not sure Garmisch is worth it, OK for a day trip from Munich wouldnt choose it otherwise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sean1967 wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

I'll stay in Austria for ease of transport. Garmisch is under consideration. At the moment I'm thinking Airbnb in innsbruck and ski the nordekette one day, axmur and stubai.

Hey!

Are you looking for lift access steeps (inc ski routes), or groomed pistes?

Nordkette has around 200m of steep black piste.... But really everything worth skiing there is ungroomed, whether the two avalanche controlled couloirs (ski routes) or the offpiste.

For groomed steeps, there isn't really much that springs to mind around Innsbruck... The old Olympic downhill course at Patscherkofel maybe. I'd probably get on a train too if that's your goal though. Arlberg, Kitzbühel (The Strief), or Ischgl which I think probably has more steep pistes than St Anton (harder to get to on public transport though - swap train for a bus at Landeck).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't rate St Anton so much for on piste steeps. Blues definitely steeper than you'd expect for a blue for sure, but blacks tame enough. St Anton is about off piste steepness. Ischgl definitely has many genuine blacks; those at top can be very hairy when they get scoured by wind. I would definitely rate ahead of St Anton. Of course if you are in Kirchberg you can do the Streif race track (including all ultra steep bits marked as itinerary not piste). That is about as serious as any piste in Europe so you can knock yourself out there (though technically not a piste!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just stay around Kitzbuhel and lap the Streif. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy