Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

northern resorts in France

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of another holiday (making it a cheap one) Feb half term, drive but not too far as everywhere has snow. rent an apartment close to resort centre (if not on the piste) 2 girls (5 and 6) can go in ski school in mornings and then I guess we will have to spend time with them in the afternoon Sad
it could be a smaller older place,
Any suggestions of resorts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

not too far as everywhere has snow

not in northern France.... there are few cheap options at half term, as it's peak French school holiday time too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Le Grand Bornand is relatively quiet for half term
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not look at Felberg in the black mountains
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like most threads on here this is entirely subjective as to what you consider is cheap. But having had two daughters - they are now very expert 24 and 19 year olds - you are a very brave man. I learnt very quickly that standards drop alarmingly in ski school in Feb half term and that it is far more pleasant to take them outside the peak two weeks where English and French holidays collide. It's much less cost, standards are higher, particularly with the ESF, you have more accommodation choice, if it's in March you have more chance of a warm day, and my kids learnt far more with me (about life, manners, sociability, even took homework) than ever they would have done in a week in the classroom
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

then I guess we will have to spend time with them in the afternoon Sad

Go to Austria where they have all day ski school so you can get rid of your kids for much longer!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pila's good as well- just through tunnel- stay in Aosta - also as Belgium's not on school holidays until 4/3 could try La Bresse Hohnek in the Vosges- not massive but can be quiet out of school hols
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Le Grand Bornand is relatively quiet for half term

No it's not, you even have to queue for lifts Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The key word is relatively. That is relative to other Northern French resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bulgaria.
Andorra.
Vosges.
Belgium.
Scotland.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Germany...we (the UK) never think of Germany.

There are a LOT of ski places there, some small...medium and large.

Not affected by the Half Term crowds.

BTW...in general they have had LOTS of snow this year!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Little Angel
Whitegold wrote:
Bulgaria.
Andorra.
Vosges.
Belgium.
Scotland.

Do you ever even bother to read the original post?
The OP wants somewhere they can drive to, not too far (presumably from Nottingham) - Bulgaria and Andorra are a bit of a schlep.
Not affected by the half term crowds is a bit of a difficulty with Scottish Resorts (assuming holiday weeks are the same).
Belgium? not to high on my bucket list of ski countries as you seem to bang on about the best powder skiing being only in America and Japan I'm assuming you're deliberately keeping quiet about your epic powder days with the Belgians.

I'd be looking at around Winterberg in Northern Germany
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite a few listed in this brochure:

https://pro.savoie-mont-blanc.com/content/download/1315/11761/file/1345470285_Guide_Station_BAT4-optimise.pdf
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for your suggestions so far. We are going on Sunday for a week with full childcare, this is just an extra (and maybe Easter if I can convince wife)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You might find problems in Germany with English speaking lessons for the kids I would guess but don't know having never been.
I would be tempted by Aosta valley, maybe La Thuile or Pila.
ski holidays
Jura might qualify as 'northern resort in France'.

http://www.monts-jura.com/en/ski-winter/alpine-skiing.html

6 hours from Calais.
snow report
Quote:

6 hours from Calais.

Hmm. Not for me. Google maps says 7.5 hours Calais - Les Rousses. Add stops and however rarely you need to pee and refuel, it's 8 hours. Lovely area when the snow falls though! I've often driven across the Jura, coming and going from the northern Alps - prefer it to the motorway.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Hmm. Not for me. Google maps says 7.5 hours Calais - Les Rousses. Add stops and however rarely you need to pee and refuel, it's 8 hours. Lovely area when the snow falls though! I've often driven across the Jura, coming and going from the northern Alps - prefer it to the motorway.

I stand corrected.

Embarassed
snow report
It’s under 8 hours from Calais to feldberg liftverbund in The Black Forest
It’s the largest resort in Germany 63k
Inc a FIS black
My girls 6 and 11 had their first days skiing there.
The ski instructors were great and spoke perfect English which you may not get over the other side of the Rhine in the vosage.
Lots of therms and indoor pools and slides too and many villages have a ski slope and a sledging run, so if they don’t take to skiing then you will have loads of snowy mountain fun.
Don’t forget the gateaux either..
the snow is currently 86/43cm and powder
Also you can stay in a number of villages enroute as there is a railway to the resort too.
Lastly the lift pass is on a points system so you can buy what you use again if they don’t like it or the conditions are nasty you haven’t paid a vast sum for a pass you’re not going to use

If I knew in March 2019 that it would be good in half term 2020 I’d book
But it is low so you can’t
But that is not the case this year
Have fun
snow conditions
Calais to Morzine Les Gets 9 hours easy blast down the peage.

Lots of accomodation around esp with a car so you can travel.
latest report
I agree with Pam that nowhere in the French Alps is quiet and cheap at HT but on a relative basis I'd say Les Contamines is a good option that week - easy drive, quietER, lots of apartments to rent
snow report
Yes, Les Contamines a good choice.
snow conditions
Les Contamines, Samoen, Flaine, Le Carroz perhaps?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy