Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Years - book Ryanair now or wait for Easyjet to release their schedules?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We’ve booked a chalet for next New Years week and now have to find flights. Ryanair have just released some dates for next winter, inc where we would like to fly to. Prices at the moment are ok (£130pp without luggage) so much cheaper than BA and Jet2. However Easyjet have yet to release their prices, and it will be April before they do so! We would probably prefer EJ over Ryanair but cost is the major factor. We’re a big group inc kids so trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. Should we snap up the Ryanair flights?? Is £130 a good price for NYs week, bearing in mind we need sat-sat and it is the height of peak season. Or are EJ likely to be a similar price?? Decisions, decisions!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tend to prefer somewhat the experience of flying with Easyjet but Ryanair are usually cheaper. It's quite difficult to get a good deal with Easyjet in peak season- they tend to release flights late and not at a particularly low price. What I tend to do is budget for around the price of a reasonably priced Easyjet flight and end up flying Ryanair and add priority boarding/reserved seats/reasonable luggage allowance etc to make the experience more pleasant.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the problem ive found with ryan air is despite a reasonable or even a steal headline figure by the time youve added in baggage and any ski equipment you have more than likely broke the bank , in the end last trip we flew klm via amsterdam 1/2 the price and at other times have used lufthansa or their side kick eurowings but that was to austria, this farout id have a look at other carriers as some include baggage /skisand with a family ends up more cost effective
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve looked at all the options and even with extortionate baggage and ski carriage fees it’s still the cheapest option at the moment, £190pp with checked bag, £285 with bag and ski carriage (in fact I’m think I’ll leave my skis at home and hire in resort!!). The flights are to Turin (going to Serre Chevalier) so there’s not a massive amount of choice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BA are £370, Jet2 around the same (excluding checked bags and ski carriage!!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@surferrosa, just book Ryanair with priority...so you get your hand luggage in the cabin...then it's done
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@surferrosa, Easyjet aren’t due to release Christmas/New Year dates until April. If the Ryanair schedule work I would just book it as @holidayloverxx, says.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea, the Ryanair flights work well for us, especially the timings. I’m going to book them now. And then NOT get tempted to look at EJ after they’ve released their schedule!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big group - drive. Avoid Ryanair at all costs!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gordyjh, nonsense. Ryanair is fine..just make sure to read the small print. I use them all the time and I can't remember ever having a problem
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Regarding Ryanair ski carriage (which is £90 return, grrrr), can you get 2 pairs of skis in one bag within the 20kg ski carriage allowance?? That would make it easier to swallow!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Gordyjh, nonsense. Ryanair is fine..just make sure to read the small print. I use them all the time and I can't remember ever having a problem

+1

Driving is much more expensive and time consuming for some of us. Not every Snowhead lives in the southern portion of the country.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
surferrosa,

We always travel with 2 pairs of skis in 1 skibag with Ryanair. We think our skis are ridiculously heavy (relative to others) but 2 pairs (plus poles) still come in well under the Ryanair allowance (at 15kg). So we still have room for other bits & pieces in the ski bag if required.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No definitely not driving!! There are 17 of us in total so would have to hire a bus!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister wrote:
surferrosa,

We always travel with 2 pairs of skis in 1 skibag with Ryanair. We think our skis are ridiculously heavy (relative to others) but 2 pairs (plus poles) still come in well under the Ryanair allowance (at 15kg). So we still have room for other bits & pieces in the ski bag if required.

That’s brilliant to know!!
snow conditions
@surferrosa, 2 pairs of skis (adults) and poles plus various other bits and pieces is under 20kg.
I used to manage both pairs of skis plus 2 pairs of snow boots, slippers, cereal bars, boot dryers, edge tools, medical kit and enough easy cook porridge for the week and still be under weight.
ski holidays
By the time you’ve hired cars the other end, it’s a similar cost to drive, it’s more convenient when you’re there and Ryanair’s attitude to passengers is that they get in the way of them running their airline.
ski holidays
@surferrosa, perhaps you could give details of the routes and dates/times you are hoping to travel if you would like us to help you. So far we have a large group Sat-Sat, presumably 28 Dec - 4 Jan, but we don't know where you are going from or to, which is quite significant information. Are your prices based on a Group booking? How many adults and how many children?
latest report
@Gordyjh, there’s 17 people plus luggage. I’d suggest that there’s very little that’s convenient (or cost effective) about trying to get all them to Serre Che in cars/bus.
snow conditions
I got notice by text from Ryanair about 14.00 hrs on day 1 to check my flight for about 11.00 hrs on day 2. Turned out it had been cancelled due to strike action. Despite turning up to airport and the Ryanair airport reps (employees of airport) saying that they there was no other flight with Ryanair from any nearby airport nor that I can could get on the same flight until day 6, they refused to reroute me so I had to buy a flight with KLM at about £370. In subsequent correspondence Ryanair. have said I should have given them an opportunity to find me another flight and if they couldn't they would have rerouted me. When pointed out that was exactly what I did, they change tack and say that strikes aren'tcovered even though they chose which flights to run and which to cancel. Current state of play is https://www.caa.co.uk/News/UK-Civil-Aviation-Authority-begins-enforcement-action-against-Ryanair/.
I won't use Ryanair again -maybe I was unlucky but once bitten ...
snow report
Alastair wrote:
@surferrosa, perhaps you could give details of the routes and dates/times you are hoping to travel if you would like us to help you. So far we have a large group Sat-Sat, presumably 28 Dec - 4 Jan, but we don't know where you are going from or to, which is quite significant information. Are your prices based on a Group booking? How many adults and how many children?

Thanks Alastair, 10 adults and 7 kids, going to Serre Chevalier so would prefer Turin for the easiest and cheapest transfers, not wanting to hire a car or drive there though!! We all live in the Midlands so happy to fly from wherever. We've enquired about a group booking with Jet 2 but it was astronomical, waiting for a group booking quote from Ryanair, or we're happy to book as individual families. Thanks for your help!
ski holidays
muppet wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

+1

Driving is much more expensive and time consuming for some of us. Not every Snowhead lives in the southern portion of the country.

theres not as much in it as even from the north its poss to go overnight newc amsterdam or the way we go in march hull rotterdam. Agree it takes an extra night but its easy to add an extra day or 2 skiing on at one or both ends. though im not using holiday entitlment it works for us esp if booked well in advance and avoids a night in airport hotel or arriving knacked for the first day or so. Plus avoids transfer costs which can be considerable

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 4-02-19 17:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@ski for fun, as above, depends where you are and what circumstances you're in. It takes me 5 hours to get to Dover, 2+ to get to Poole (but a much longer crossing and further the other side).

And if I'm not going in a big group from the same place (which is generally how my ski trips go) then I pay a big wedge of cost myself. Far, far cheaper and easier to fly from BRS or even to make the trek to LGW. For a standard week to somewhere like Avoriaz I can drive to BRS, get a flight to GVA, using Skiidy Gonzalez for a shared transfer (think last year I paid about £100 return). If I really wanted then there's a 9pm flight on Sunday, which would allow me to ski all day Saturday plus Sunday morning. All of which is far cheaper and far easier than driving (not to mention, far safer). So, as above, it depends where you are.
snow conditions
@surferrosa, There is a way around any airline carriers "one pair of ski rule" PM me
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy