Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down filled packable vest/gilet

Poster: A snowHead
Given the projected temperatures for the upcoming BB, I’m currently considering buying a lightweight down filled vest/gilet that can be scrunched up small. However the prices seem to vary considerably from £150+ to c£30. Can anyone recommend a suitable reasonably priced one? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What projected temperatures? It’s two (2) weeks away. No-one has a real clue what the temperatures will be.

Decathlon.

Anything with >650 fill down.

£30.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Awdbugga, Does it have to be Down? Synthetic gilets in Primark, Sports Direct for about a tenner. I use them for golf n they work well (windproof too, but don't breathe).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Decathlon, in the walking section, forclaz about £35 or have a look at the horse riding section - same stuff, equally warm, equally pack able just different looks/quilting with different pocket arrangements. Not seen any armless ones in the ski section - I've spent far too much time in decathlon lately...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Synthetic fibre, especially the cheap stuff either doesn't pack down, or if it does loses its loft (won't easily expand again) unlike down which retains its natural loft. Best value ones are RAB from Go Outdoors (read the product reviews) or Alpkit online
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve found one thanks. I’m going wait until closer the date to see if it’s needed or not. No point buying one just for the sake of it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you don’t mind the color, Uniqlo have the light gray one on sale for £15; £40 for the other colors.

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/men-ultra-light-down-vest-409324.html

Can’t go wrong at that price.

If you want something from a sports manufacturer (that has a lifetime warranty). The RAB microlight vest for £95.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/rab-microlight-vest-down-vest/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Uniqlo ones mentioned above seem good but not sure how long lasting.

I have an Arcteryx Cerium SL one which fits that bill, picked up at a good price on EBay but new ones are £180 which might not be quite what you were looking for...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What about this one?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek500-m-gilet-navy-id_8397299.html

A lot cheaper than the Rab.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or these , bit like a mid layer with some built in down fill on the body (I have one of these).

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-m-down-liner-jkt-black-id_8494690.html

Depends how hot you normally run...I was in Selva at new year.

Minus 15 on the top a couple of days (minus 25 with windchill) and I needed base layer , mid layer , light down jacket and my shell jacket... was still cold !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm tempted by this one, only because I love the name of it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1682586?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MTU2NjEsInBhZ2UiOjEsInBhZ2VTaXplIjo0
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrNo wrote:
Uniqlo ones mentioned above seem good but not sure how long lasting.

I know, but for the price of a hot chocolate in a resort it’ll be worth it if it only lasts a few years.

I might buy one myself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Uniqlo is good quality. I have lots of tops that have lasted for years. The small down jackets are used across Asia, and they pack so small.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
I'm tempted by this one, only because I love the name of it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1682586?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MTU2NjEsInBhZ2UiOjEsInBhZ2VTaXplIjo0

Love it, saw the brand and thought what a daft name, then I read further.......

I thought down was poor when wet, so I use a synthetic midlayer re sweat. I only bought it cos it was on sale, but it's been great, Arcteryx Atom LT, they do a sleeveless as well, picked mine up in resort in Canada.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Awdbugga, I bought a Mountain Warehouse gilet. This time last year was £25 in sale.

I find I wear it lots, not just extra layer for skiing.
ski holidays
I've got a long sleeve one from Decathlon for extreme temperatures. Down filled except under the arm pits where it is Primaloft. About £30 and very good. Packs plenty small enough to carry in a back pack.
ski holidays
Got an Arcteryx one half price on Sport Pursuit for about £80. Packs tiny and hardly there but surprisingly warm.

Worth keeping an eye out on SP they often have down gilets from several brands
latest report
@jedster, +1
snow report
Cheesie168 wrote:
Uniqlo is good quality. I have lots of tops that have lasted for years. The small down jackets are used across Asia, and they pack so small.

+1, provided you don't need something mega-warm. I've always got a Uniqlo down jacket in my backpack - it bounces around in there with my shovel and probe and has so far managed to remain unscathed (for maybe 8 seasons). They aren't the thickest, but they provide some extra warmth and pack down very small indeed. Also pretty cheap if you wait for an offer.
snow report
Mountain Equipment Arete . . .although I'd go for synthetic if you sweat . . .I've got an old ME frontier (I think that's what its called) that I lob on either over or under my jacket when its nippy . . packs down to a small outside pocket on my pack
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy