Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

large Ski bag carriage as hold ??

Poster: A snowHead
I have the larger wheeled ski bag that takes all my kit , in the past I have checked it in as hold luggage ,
the size and weight is within most airline hold baggage sizes.
Just booked with Skibound who use Thomson Charter , they say I must pay the extra for ski `s.
Has anyone taken one of these bags recently with the airlines such as easyjet ect ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not every airline allows for you to use a skibag as your hold, as you're now experiencing. EasyJet, Ryanair, TUI/Thomson (among others) will all require you pay additionally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had the same thing and had to book the ski/board bags separately. You can't use your hold allowance even if not taking any other bags. As said different airlines have different rules so some may allow it but I doubt many low cost airlines would.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think some airlines won't let you take a ski bag as regular hold luggage because of the size, rather than the weight, but it's all down to their own policy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was travelling with friends last weekend on BA Economy to Geneva, where the allowance is one hold bag. Several of them were using large Dakine branded ski bags to carry both their skis and most of their gear, at no extra cost versus a "standard" sized bag in the hold
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Read the terms and conditions carefully. For me, it’s why I chose to fly with Scandinavian airlines when I can - you can take skis in your hold luggage allowance and no nonsense of having to pre-request/book ski carriage.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've never been able to get my ski bag booked as hold luggage despite not talking a normal bag. That's was with Sleazy and TUI
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quick Tip
If flying with Easy Jet
Phone up and book large sports equipment bag.I couldn't do it on line.
Its £10 more but more than enough weight allowance for skis and luggage.
They ask you what's in the bag when booking. I said lots of skis
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And equipment
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easyjet’s site doesn’t mandate that skis be paid for seperately, just max weight is 32kgs (paying extra above the standard 23kgs) and max total dimensions is 275cms. So if wheely ski bag is, say 180 cdms you still have e.g. 30 x 65 to play with.

Bag = 6kgs itself probs, skis and sticks ?10kgs so even with 23 you still have 7 standard or can buy more for clothes etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, it is really unclear on the easyjet website their policy is that skis must be booked as sports equipment not normal hold bags.
How well enforced that policy is I can't say.

See my posts in this earlier thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134589&start=40#3150902
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm my experience with easyjet that you have to pay for a ski bag regardless whether you take another hold bag or not. Last year I actually had a heated discussion on the phone with them about this..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So Easy Jet recently changed its baggage allowance.it used to be 20kg hold 20kg ski. Now your hold luggage starts at 23kg allowance. You can then pay to increase the weight allowance up to 32kg or there abouts. So I, looking at the dimensions, booked a 26kg hold luggage with the intention of taking my large ski bag as both ski and hold. I then was told that hold luggage can't be ski equipment.
So after spending a day on the various means of contact for Easy Jet finally spoke to someone who changed me initial booking from Hold luggage to large sports equipment. I payed the extra to a total value of £80 or there abouts.
My friend also did this on a separate booking. No problem
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @LeglesWonder, didn't work out for me. I've been on the phone to them and also on chat but they refused to change it for me on both. They also said they wont let me take several skis as a single large item on chat but it seemed ok on the phone so I suspect its going to be luck of the draw on who you get. For me though, no joy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It doesn't surprise me, they've probably closed the loop hole.
I wouldn't choose EasyJet unless I had to. Last November I flew with Swiss Air. Free skis Free hold free coffee, chocolate and cake £25 off through SKGB Under £100.
ski holidays
We have sleazy jet as part of a package, I.e. Not booked direct. Basic reading would allow one double Ski bag as my husband's baggage, plus my large suitcase. (We take boots in hand luggage suitcases). However then they start going on about skis being extra and even paying for two pairs even if in one bag under the weight limit! It is grossly unfair and we wonder how closely enforced at the airport?
snow report
At BRS i used the self service machine. Done my boot bag 1st & put label on. Then put my snowboard on & machine gave me the standard suitcase price to pay (seperate issue is i kicked off as i can split weight with snow gear into 2 bags).
But back to your Q - you could get away with it at the machine.
Now as for enforcement. Its down to who serves. I very much doubt the guy handling the airport oversize luggage for all the airlines knows or cares what you paid. I very much doubt out sourced staff at airports where easyjet dont have their own staff care or know either.
At the end of the day, Its all at your own risk.
ski holidays
You might also find that they may refuse to compensate you appropriately if you have taken skis without booking them as sports equipment
snow conditions
@Scrumpy, I always squeeze two pairs into one bag on easy jet out of Newcastle (plus anything else within weight). Never had a problem.
Would love to try BA one day but we're pretty much restricted to the budget airlines up here. At seventy quid return they should bloody well service them before chucking them at the carousel.
latest report
He's paid to play safe - so they will have 2 ski tubes instead of one ski bag and 2 suitcases instead of one - and I shall have more clothes to wear ! NehNeh
snow report
I’ve just had this issue returning from Geneva. On the flight out of Gatwick they had no issues accepting a ski bag as hold luggage. However because the belt at Geneva airport wouldn’t accept it, it has to be booked as a ski bag. After along time on the phone with sleazy they refuse to accept skis in hold luggage even if they fit within the hold luggage dimensions. Luckily I rung a few minutes later and spoke to a member of the easyjet team who was on my side and he changed the booking to a ski bag for free. It completely depends on who you get. I travelled through geneva with easyjet the week before Christmas doing the exact same thing and no one questioned it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy