Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long do skins last?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I regularly go on guided off piste holidays and on many occasions mid week the guide would tell us to get touring bindings and skins for the following day (mostly because they had run out of decent lift-accessed snow, I think). So, I decided when I upgraded my skis to get touring binding & skins fitted to avoid the hastle of having to find them in resort. Since then, I don't think we've had to use them more than once (call it an insurance policy to avoid skinning!). 3-4 years on I'm wondering if they will still be ok. Do they lose their stickiness? I realise I could try them in a safe area (ie where it wouldn't matter if they didn't work, such as on a piste) but reluctant to do this if unnecessary in case it contributes to a reduction in their effectiveness. Is there any guidance on how long they last or do I just need to suck it and see?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've no idea how long they last if you don't use them, years, centuries maybe.

I use my gecko glueless skins all the time and they have hundreds of trips over hundreds of thousands of meters on them.

I used to figure on about 100 trips on my "glued" skins.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can buy a re-glue kit for about €25 so unless you have ripped them to shreds I reckon you should be good for a few more years. I have G3 skins that have seen probably 40 ish days and still work like new, if anything the glue is too strong and sticks on the base!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My 6-7 year od G3 skins have gradually got stickier, the glue is now over tacky and too strong, it also leaves anything it touches sticky... time for a re-glue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good skins will last 100's (like 500+) days of use. Crap ones barely 50.

My old purple BD ascensions are 2 decades old and have 300+ days on them, yes I've re glued them but otherwise they are fine.

I have some contours that are really starting to look warn at <30 days of use.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They’re Black Diamonds. Not sure what version.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for feedback everyone. Gives me some reassurance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy