Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last week in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there again. I've drawn up a shortlist of places to go based on the cruisy blue suggestions. However we were planning going the first week of March but it has been pushed back to the last week in March. I'm hoping for some advice of whether any if these places will be OK nearer the end of season having never been that late (we usually go last week in January)

Anywhere in the three valleys
Les saisies or crest voland
Valmorel
Alta badia

I think we are just going to wait till 2 weeks before to book up. Do you think. My particular worry is icy runs. There was a particular run one year down to courchevel on an easy blue that was just a beast that was very steep and very icy, I still have nightmares and again in 3 valleys the run from the top of la Tania down towards meribel was just pure moguls. (wow I sound so dramatic lol) I know these conditions are all weather based but just want to see what other opinions would be if they had the choice. I have become quite a nervous skier so I'm definitely gonna have some lessons out there

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-02-19 2:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go high and you have the potential for Icy Runs, go lower and you may find it slushy in the afternoon. A compromise as ever. Which specific week are you looking at, 23rd or 30th March? I'd start by looking for the best value flights then look at resort options. Plenty of snow this year to hold well into April in all but the lowest resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

That was Valmorel on the 30th March last year. Similar snow depth this year
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@polo99, You might add Saalbach to your short list. 140km (out of 270km) are cruisy blues, and any early morning ice tends to thaw quite quickly.
White Pearl Mountain Days will be hosting mountain top parties (google it or search YouTube) .
PM me if you would like more information.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@panaga52, we are hoping to go 23rd March.
@tatmanstours, will look into it. On quick look it doesn't seem the areas link up with blues?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo99, No, it’s all nicely joined up - in fact you can cruise the entire anti-clockwise circuit of the main valley entirely on blue runs and without doing the same run twice or retracing your steps. You can also do itineraries over to Leogang and Fieberbrunn entirely on blue runs. (In the case of Fieberbrunn there are a couple of challenging reds, but you can avoid them by taking gondolas over them.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Saisies would normally be OK then and probably better than Crest Voland, which is lower.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@polo99 Pretty much anywhere on the Northern Side of the Alps will be good then unless there's a sudden thaw. Austria has the best conditions at the moment and will hold well. If you have youngsters in your group then look at deals like in the Ski Amade where they offer free lift passes for U-18s after 16 Mar 19.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, oh you have got me adding leogang/saalbach to my ever increasing list. I now remember Leogang coming up in the past in search for nice cruisy areas. I see the ski circus closes on 30 March though (not that it woujld be a problem as that would be our fly home day) but what will the slopes be like then? I know the snow has been good in Austria this year and I also know 5 weeks time is a long time in terms of snow condition forecasting.

@pam w, me and hubby had a short trip to Crest Voland a few years ago at the beginning of March and loved it (as we do the whole of Espace Diamant). Do you not have your chalet in Bisanne anymore? (BTW kids are 18 and 20 now and 6ft2!) lol time flies eh?

My list is supposed to be getting shorter not longer lol.

@panaga52, Schladming has come up in the past before while looking

@petermunnings, Love that pic! I want to be there!

My nephew is currently out in El Tarter at the minute sending me pics making me jealous!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo99, It closes gradually between the end of March and mid-April. Not sure why, as early April can be really good (as it was last year). There’s always plenty of snow to last till the end of the season - and of course more this year than usual.
If the weather is warm it will no doubt be typical spring skiing - get out early for good conditions in the morning, and ski north and west facing slopes in the afternoon (or relax and sunbathe). If the weather is wintry, as it sometimes is, even into April, the conditions could be good all day.
We normally leave around the middle of April.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courchevel 1850.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I am leaning very heavily on Corvara/Colfosco/San Cassiano. Are conditions in The Dolomites ok last week in March? I don't think it is forecast any snow over the next month and temperatures seem to be heating up. Failing that if I don't go to Italy, I think Les Menuires/Val Thorens will be second best on the list. They have their plusses and minuses
Italy - cons
Can't fly direct from Newcastle
Not a lot (if any) ski in or out
Pros
Havent been to Italy before
Seems very pretty

France - cons
I've been before (although to La Tania and never got as far as les Menuires/VT)

PRos
A lot of ski/in out
Can fly from Newcastle

I wouldn't mind going to either country just hoping the conditions hold up before the end of March and don't get too icy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy