Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chains for 255/60/19 Tyres - LR Disco 5

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Asking for a friend who has a LR Discovery 5 who will be joining us in France for half term. They are struggling to find reasonably priced chains to fit their 255/60/19 tyres. All we can find from the internet are Konig K-Summit XXL that retail between £350 and £400, or autosocks, when ideally we would like conventional chains as clearance should not be an issue. Any one else have this issue or know of chains that fit? Changing tyres not an option as leased company car. Otherwise may settle for autosocks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know nothing of these vendors or makes, but a couple of options for your friend to do due diligence on:

https://www.carbox.co.uk/product-category/snow-chains/land-rover-snow-chains/discovery-5-2017/25560-19/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEWAG-SERVO-SUV-AUTOMATIC-SNOW-CHAINS-FOR-SUV-GROUP-82-SIZE-255-60-R19/132788512246
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, A disco on summers will be fine IF driven carefully and the snowflake button pressed - so take a pair of socks to be legal and just in case ...
Some batches of Discoverys had M+S tyres fitted as standard I believe, has your friend checked his tyres?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We carry "Maggi the one" 4x4 suitable chains in an older LR cost about £90 one pair, seem well made but never had to use them so far Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would never go to the mountains without chains when on summer tyres. I've seen main roads turn to sheet ice before and without chains those conditions are lethal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just looked up where I bought from, The Roofbox Company.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Devon 4 x 4 centre - Brenta-C 4x4 Snowchains 255/55/19 & 255/60/18 & 265/50/20 & 235/85/16 & 7.50x16 £149.44

https://www.devon4x4.com/brenta-c-4x4-snowchain-pwxmr-v81.html

I'm not connected
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Charliee, thanks but they are 255/60/19. I’ll ring them tomorrow.

@boredsurfin, thanks for the tip. This is the sensible solution of all else fails.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would be wary of those shown on devon4x4 and the 2nd ones on carbox sites.
They are probably reasonable basic chains but donot have any way of generating tension around the 'ring' and therefore are almost impossible to tighten sufficiently to avoid slap. The rubber hook end doesnot achieve this.
There are (used to be) similar with coil springs each side of the clip... these do tighten.
If you do get (or have) those basic types, invest in a couple of short strong bungies to fit on them...these can take out any slack and ensure quiet running
Also check the clearances ... not just when static, imagine the steering and suspension at full movement.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JonA, both those examples have a tension route on them I believe.

It's where the red section of chain reverses direction in the red coloured shackle block. The chain is pulled back in the opposite direction, doubling it's mechanical advantage, then hooked to either a tension device or rubber tendon to keep the tension set.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes they do but just allows you to pull them to the nearest link on the chain which then locks in tthe catch thing. Instructructions always say stop and retighten but my experience is that unless you do this several times and are built like the Hulk you cannot get them fully tight to the tyre, you always end up with slack and some slap.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DidierCouch, good find... I’ve looked into these a little more and they seem good and self tensioning.

VERIGA £75 (50% off) - made in Slovenia

Pewag £144 on Amazon - made in Austria.

Anyone heard of or used VERIGA chains?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Amazon have a 30 day return policy don’t they..? . Technically if they are unused and still in the box etc. ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, Just had to invest in a pair of the Konigs as changed from Disco4 to 5. The clearance is the issue apparently and the Konigs and Spikes Spiders appear to be the only ones that Land Rover recommend for the Disco 5 as you could use more conventional ones on the Disco 4. The Konigs are the same as the LR branded chain but half the price even at circa £300! Roof Box Company were the cheapest for both and there is another 10% off for SCGB members. If the car is leased I would be very wary about using something that is not recommended as you may have an even bigger bill for any damage than the cost of the chains and it won't be covered on insurance. As JonA says above, it is more than just the static clearance when the car is on the lowest suspension setting.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@frozennose, The disco 5 manual seems to be ok with full chains on 19” and and 1/2 chains on 21” wheels. I pasted ithe text below as don’t know how to post screen shots. They are checking with LR and may just settle for autosocks.

> Full chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 19 and 20 in diameter wheels.

> Half chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 21 in diameter wheels.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy