Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Battery jump starter?

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

Driving down to Avoriaz this season and have booked underground parking for the week. I'm interested to know if people bother taking such things as battery jump starters and other such back up solutions/equipment just in case?

Any tips/insights most welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nope. Never had a problem in underground parking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always have jump leads in my car - have used them when I've been daft (left lights on) or when someone else needed help. Have also had a puncture, having run over a nail just on entry to the car park. A full size spare wheel is the most important back up equipment IMHO - lots of alpine roads have nasty, sharp-edged, potholes. If your battery is elderly it's worth getting it checked - but a decent battery shouldn't struggle in an underground car park - it's surprisingly warmer than outside.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are going to buy a jump starter get a super capacitor based one, cost is a fair bit higher but will start all but a completely dead battery.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Page23, never needed one or carried one and I park outside. But I do ensure that all the lights and as much as possible else is switched off
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are some really small and light ones available for about fifty quid. I saw some at my local petrol station. The most important thing is to fill up in the mountains to ensure you have antifreeze in the diesel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fortunately not had to use but over the years have carried jump cables, often used to help other's Very Happy

But now had Sealey Electro-start 800 for two years, so enough time to test it.

It's one of the few that doesn't have a battery that needs maintaining. It's internally like a giant camera flash with a gang of big capacitors, charged from anything 5volts upwards, it'll restart the engine. Just connect it, turn on and follow light indicators to get going. Used so far and hasn't failed to get going, usually people have flattened battery by charging something without engine running. Had more use in this country on campsites etc.

To initiate you can connect to your own battery, or charge from another car with cigarette lighter socket, or USB to supply. has function for diesel glowplug phase as well.

It should let you self rescue to avoid callout and wait scenario.

Obviously if car is up to scratch you'd hope not to need assistance, but sometimes it's really got people out of being stuck.

In addition, one of the cigarette lighter charge USB plugs with voltage reading will let you see battery status.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUAOKI-Starter-20000mAh-Poweful-Function-Blue/dp/B01ESIY3LQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1547472895&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lightweight+jump+starter&dpPl=1&dpID=51jGJlt9okL&ref=plSrch&tag=amz07b-21

800.amps is going to start most things....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
There are some really small and light ones available for about fifty quid. I saw some at my local petrol station. The most important thing is to fill up in the mountains to ensure you have antifreeze in the diesel.

They'll be the lithium battery types, useful but not as good as the capitol based ones.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1 wrote:

They'll be the lithium battery types, useful but not as good as the capitol based ones.

Depends on what spec and what you pay, I guess. Something small and light makes sense to me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This looks like it would start a horse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAGOU-20000Mah-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B07KMD1HWV/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1547473257&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1000a+jump+starter&dpPl=1&dpID=41x7NEK4PtL&ref=plSrch&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1 wrote:

Depends on what spec and what you pay, I guess. Something small and light makes sense to me.

I've got one of the £50 Lithium jobbies - about the size of a paperback but will start a pretty flat 2.0 diesel engine quite happily. Pretty much a basic item IMHO even in the UK.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jump leads and a smile.
Unless you know your battery cack.
If you have a big drain can always disconnect the battery terminals.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was stupid enough to leave a car in Chambery airport for a week, with the headlights on, the battery was so very dead that the friendly Frenchman I persuaded to help me made no impact, using jump leads from his own car battery. I had to call out a breakdown truck with two Polish (or something, they scarcely spoke either French or English) guys and a massive great battery on the side, designed for just that eventuality. I drove back to the apartment along some very snow roads, in falling snow, and was petrified of stalling and being stuck again - they had warned me to keep going for a while without even thinking about stopping. It was covered under the "free" breakdown insurance through my bank account - it was reassuring that it worked so well, and lucky that I could wait for them inside the airport - it was perishingly cold.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We do a bit of motorsport which uses a car that will sit around for months, so regularly need a jump. Got one of those £50 lithium ones and it’s fantastic, well worth keeping in the car all year round.
snow conditions
My battery died last year (didn't move the car for a week - was parked outside) and I had a Japanese car with a funky battery which the local garagiste could do nothing about except jump starting it. It turns out they don't tend to cater to Toyotas and Lexuses in the Alps - or anywhere much in France... I was incredibly nervous re-starting the car at Folkstone. The battery finally died at Chobham services Shocked
ski holidays
Thanks all for the replies, very helpful.

For those that drive, do you also take things such as puncture repair kits?

I will have breakdown cover and be carrying a spare wheel but just trying to make things as straightforward as possible in the event of an issue rather than sitting in a freezing cold car trying to get the breakdown vehicle out.

Think I'm becoming paranoid!
snow report
Quote:

Think I'm becoming paranoid!

Not at all - just sensible to think about it. I confess I have never heard of puncture repair kits for cars - though I can, and do, change a wheel when necessary. And can mend punctures on my bike! Chains, obviously, are vital. And a black poly bag to put them in when you take them off, filthy. Make sure you can fit them in the dark and quickly, before your hands freeze. Head torch. Small kids beach spade to clear snow from behind the wheels if necessary (you probably won't have room for a socking great shovel though it can come in very handy). I also always have some bottles of water and some cheap and nasty bars of chocolate (cheap and nasty so you only eat them in the event of a genuine emergency like being stuck at the roadside in a snowdrift). Keep your fuel tank topped up (handy if you are stuck somewhere - but keep the exhaust free Skullie ) and helps avoid condensation. Use "mountain diesel". If you have a traditional wire handbrake, don't use it if there's freezing slush around - leave the car in an appropriate gear. Don't rely on satnav around mountain roads - they can send you over closed passes. If you've never experienced your anti lock brake things, don't be horrified by the unexpected noise and graunching (I was, I thought something terrible had happened). Drive conservatively in ice and snow - commonsense.
snow report
Page23 wrote:

For those that drive, do you also take things such as puncture repair kits?

My car has a full-sized spare, but I carry a aerosol puncture fix as well. Doesn't take up much space!
snow report
pam w wrote:
.... Not at all - just sensible to think about it. I confess I have never heard of puncture repair kits for cars - though I can, and do, change a wheel when necessary. ... Drive conservatively in ice and snow - commonsense.

Modern cars often don't come with a spare wheel at all, in my limited experience at least. They'll either have "run flat" tyres, or a compressor and "puncture repair kit" somewhere. Some also have a telephone number which you just ring up and the problem goes away. However I've not had a flat for the last.... decade or two, they're not as common as they once were.
snow conditions
Oh - one of those! Wouldn't have had any impact on my last blowout, which was an inch tear in the wall (deep pot hole on the pitch dark road up the eastern bank of Lake Annecy when I was due to pick up a friend at Geneva Airport in a hired car without a proper spare. If you use one of those to fix a ladylike sort of hole, can the tyre be repaired, subsequently, or is it a write-off? It might be a useful thing to have in the car though I haven't had a puncture in the UK for a long time.
latest report
Spin Doctor wrote:
It turns out they don't tend to cater to Toyotas and Lexuses in the Alps - or anywhere much in France...

Seems odd - the Yaris is made in France and is quite popular there.
snow conditions
We;ve come back from France after 3 weeks, and campervan battery is as dead as a dead thing. Didn't discover until hubby was off to work this morning, and so need to sort it so he can get the other car out of the garage. Didn't have time for jump leads or nowt.
ski holidays
Quote:

they're not as common as they once were.

no, they're not - but the nuisance value, in the mountains, is considerable and cans of gunk often totally useless. I wouldn't buy a car without a proper spare - my current car could have one fitted in a cage under the back. I used it when I had a puncture in the Alps and even with my poor mechanical skills and the most pathetic jack in the world was back on the road without much delay - took the tyre to Albertville and had it repaired for 20 euros. A tyre badly damaged by a pot hole on the side of a mountain road with three tired kids in the back cost (rented Audi) cost 700 euros and two days to sort out - fortunately I'd paid the extra insurance to cover tyres and equally fortunately one of the other cars in the party passed by soon after the blow out and was able to take the kids back to our accommodation. It's my age, I suppose, but to me a spare wheel is a vital piece of kit.
ski holidays
@caughtanedge, thought the Yaris is co-developed with Peugeot /Citroën and made on their line. So more a French product with Japanese badge for European market.

Unlike the larger Toyota range.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
@caughtanedge, thought the Yaris is co-developed with Peugeot /Citroën and made on their line. So more a French product with Japanese badge for European market.

Unlike the larger Toyota range.

I think that's the Aygo. Googling 'Toyota Valenciennes' is helpful.
latest report
I've got one of these as leaving cars parked up both in UK and France.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB20-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKPT1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547492832&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+gb20&tag=amz07b-21

You can get an extea set of leads too and so I leave a set in each car which means I just have to carry the battery pack when flying between countries and car parks. Works well, even for a battery that was so flat I couldn't even unlock the doors.

It also has a torch and can be used to recharge a phone.
ski holidays
Page23 wrote:
Driving down to Avoriaz this season and have booked underground parking for the week. I'm interested to know if people bother taking such things as battery jump starters and other such back up solutions/equipment just in case?

I take a spare battery, and last year I needed it. This is mainly because it's an old diesel Berlingo and it doesn't like being left out in the cold, i.e. the outdoor parking at Avoriaz.

There is a garage just outside the outdoor carparking area, so they would jumpstart you for a fee.

If you are in the indoor carpark then I doubt you'll need to worry at all. Jump leads at most, and ask someone to help out. The biggest issue in the indoor car park is how cramped it is.

As to the lithium-ion battery packs, yup, I have one too, but you only get one chance with those.

Don't forget snowchains of course (unless you have 4x4 & winter tyres).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie wrote:
Don't forget snowchains of course (unless you have 4x4 & winter tyres).

Even with a 4x4 and winter tyres you will still need to have chains on board to be properly legal.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Even with a 4x4 and winter tyres you will still need to have chains on board to be properly legal.

Perhaps just link to any one of a hundred threads discussing this controversy, i.e. Legal = A) Suitably equipped for the conditions vs B) Has snow chains.
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone for the comments - all very helpful.

I have winter wheels and chains. I carry a spare but that is my regular spare tyre (not a space saver). To those that drive to resort using winter wheels: do you also have a winter wheel spare?

With the jump starters, they obviously require charging. How long does that take and how long do they hold the charge?
snow conditions
The really small packs with lithium battery obviously need to be charged and stay at a level that will supply. Meaning if you want competent backup you'll be committed to having it unused for risk period, it won't have problems maintaining a full charge for a week usually.

The "Sealey" type has no stored power, you have to charge it immediately before use. Normally you can do that from the car's own battery (I know it sounds odd) as the car is normally at rest about 12.7 volts healthy charge, just depleted to 10.6volts will give you a non start. The start pack only needs to be charged from a supply above 5volts to work, so you can self rescue.
Completely flat as in @pam w, experience, will always need external power to get anything to start, after which the alternator should fully charge the battery in about an hour.
You can also charge this type from another vehicle cigarette lighter, or USB power pack to get you running. It's probably a more industrial specced unit to be fair, so you have to see what suits your situation best.

Pre-preparation if you think you're at risk, places such as Halfords etc will give you a charge/battery check. It'll tell you battery capacity compared to spec, charge rate of alternator, start system efficiency. Caveat, if you have it checked after a long journey it may not show significant fault as battery will have been charged completely. If you are close to a place that will check, take it there after minimal running to get at true risk picture.
ski holidays
Page23 wrote:
I have winter wheels and chains. I carry a spare but that is my regular spare tyre (not a space saver). To those that drive to resort using winter wheels: do you also have a winter wheel spare?

What I have done in the past is fit a winter tyred wheel as permanent spare (for a vehicle often seeing snow). A winter tyre will be ok in the summer, but a summer tyre will be treacherous if you get a flat going up a mountain. NB Beware circumferential differences.
snow report
@ski3, the lithium packs are pretty good at holding a charge.

I’ve used both the Sealey type and lithium and would opt for the latter every single time. It starts better, is more reliable, holds a charge and is nicely compact.
latest report
caughtanedge wrote:
Spin Doctor wrote:
It turns out they don't tend to cater to Toyotas and Lexuses in the Alps - or anywhere much in France...

Seems odd - the Yaris is made in France and is quite popular there.

I exaggerate slightly. But couldn't get a replacement battery anywhere between L2A and Grenoble despite calling and driving around in a vain attempt to get some charge into it - in our car (an older Rx 400H) the battery isn't a standard shape and even the larger bricolage don't stock and then on the Saturday the increasingly desperate calls to garages on the route up that claimed to be stockists didn't deliver any joy. Lesson I think I have learned is either 1) make sure you have covered parking or 2) start the car a couple of times rolling eyes
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, you're ahead of my experience as I've not tried the lithium type, hope we've given enough overview to make a choice for the OP.

@Spin Doctor, may be wrong but thought on the Toyota hybrids there may be a routine for getting a very low voltage battery to accept charge. Something like turning the air-con on to manual while recharging changes the charge profile / protocol I vaguely recall.

Don't know if it's in owner's manual or you have to have more tech reference to explain sequence. Many of the hybrid type systems an be slightly obtuse if they get into low charge state.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy