Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cluses to Samoens by Taxi

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at getting from Cluses train station to Samoens in March, trying to book taxis and every quote seems to be stupidly high (50 euros plus for two people).

Am I just being tight and this the going rate? or paying more to book in advance?

If we just turn up to the train station is there a taxi rank nearby? is that likely to be any cheaper?.

On the way there the bus service coincides fairly closely to our arrival so me may book that as a backup, but on the return journey we will need a taxi. 100 euros return seems a lot for 2 20 minute taxi rides.

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Imalittlelost, someone who knows will be along...but you are paying for 4 journeys really as the taxi has to get to you and then back at the end. Of course they might bag another fare to tie in but if not ....

Where I live £45 for a 20 min journey would be reasonable
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds about right to me. Maybe a tiny bit high but not massively high.

Remember that in the mountains operating costs are higher compared to the city. Snow chains, winter tyres, fewer customers, and yes - as @holidayloverxx says you're paying for 4 journeys really.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@denfinella, Also faff time loading and unloading luggage...and is it only 20 mins?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks both, when you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad, I suppose I just thought it would be cheaper for some reason.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Imalittlelost, There is a taxi rank and bus stop just by the station in Cluses. A few years ago I caught the train to Cluses and then got a taxi from the rank to Flaine. It all ran very smoothly
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Knowing that route I'd estimate at about one hour overall (without traffic up the hill out of Cluse) for return trip of taxi, so pricing seems what you'd expect.

I've black cabbed out of Heathrow before and that almost reached £40 before it left airport perimeter Sad and that was more than ten years ago!

I guess when getting anything more than very local distance on a taxi is generally going to look expensive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski3, in Flachau it is €10 from the centre of the village to my flat - about 1 mile. if they pick someone else up to share en route it is €2 per person (minibus)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy