Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox 3+ Recall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

For all off-piste snowheads who use the Ortovox 3+ avalanche transceiver : Be advised that Ortovox has recalled all 3+ transceivers with software version 2.1.

To check your sw version, turn on the the 3+, watch the serial number go by, then the battery percent and last of all the sw version is displayed. If it says 2.1 you need a recall. If it says anything else, or nothing at all, you do not need the recall.

The recall is free of charge!

https://www.ortovox.com/uk/services/emergency-equipment/avalanche-transceivers/recall-3/

Hope this helps!
B
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for posting this again, it's good incase folks missed the update in May Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a 3+ transceiver, has anyone else noticed it runs through the battery quickly?

E.g. 25% of battery power dissipation over new years on a brand new duracell in only 6 days of easy usage e.g. just transmit 9-5pm.

Also when running through a find a buried transceiver drill, the screen appeared to be coming and going while in receive mode due to low battery. Have others noticed this also?!?

My guide that day suggested sending it for a service.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds wrong. It should be capable of transmitting for 200 hours followed by searching for 1 hour:

https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_i_ets/300700_300799/300718/01_20_105/ets_300718e01c.pdf

Section 4.2.8
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@horgand, send it in for a service... then go out and buy a Barryvox!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
altis wrote:
Sounds wrong. It should be capable of transmitting for 200 hours followed by searching for 1 hour:

https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_i_ets/300700_300799/300718/01_20_105/ets_300718e01c.pdf

Section 4.2.8

I suppose playing devil's advocate, my transceiver just about does this e.g

6 days * 8hrs transmit uses 25% of battery life
So, 48hours ~ 25% battery life
=> ~ 200hours ~ 100% battery life
So it's only out by 1 hour of search

Which is probably within the margin for error.

Yes, no maybe??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horgand, playing devil's advocate and speculating about error margins is all very well (and much of the time I thrive on it!). However, I'd not be willing to take a chance on transceivers and their power supply, and I'd be uncomfortable skiing with someone who was. What you report is a remarkably fast diminution of battery reserves, far faster we've ever experienced over 15+ years of use with our transceivers (previously a pair of BCA Tracker I, now the new Barryvox). At the very least I'd follow offpisteskiing's advice and get yours back to Ortovox for a service.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great, that's what I wanted know
I.e. Is my transceiver dissipating power faster than most others? Answer = yes.

So it's worth sending back to ortovox to get it tuned up. End of.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you only have one week of data, could it just have been faulty batteries that week? Would it be worth as a first step putting new batteries in, leaving it on for a week e.g. at home in the fridge, then seeing if it's fine or still dodgy? If in any doubt I think getting it serviced would be a good idea.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Naw, Thanks Kieran, but I have the device for 3 or 4 seasons and I've noticed this from the off.

Other than that, I really like the transceiver.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy