Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does running make your feet bigger/wider? Lange rx100lv problem

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from Kaprun (just before the snow road closures!) and my boots have been killing me. I have narrow, low volume feet. Wearing lange rx100lv 26.5 with custom footbeds. I'm a UK 9 but sometimes an 8. The boots have done about 4 weeks of skiing and have had a toe box grind by rivvy alpine. All was well last year and though a snug 'performance' I could wear them all day. In the last year I've upped my running a lot due to fracturing my arm and not being able to mtb much. Done over 500 miles and wondering if it's made my feet wider? The toe box feels like it's from a kids shoe with my big toes being crushed sideways and downward pressure on the nail! I've read lange have a small toe box but they were OK last season. How many times or how far can you widen them? The rest of the boot such as the ankle still feels good.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-01-19 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going to Obertaun in 5 weeks so need a quick fix!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I started running in May last year and did around 500km over the summer & autumn. It hasn’t seemed to make any difference to the fit of my boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pregnancy can change your feet size, permanently sometimes. All to do with the hormones that relax ligaments and stuff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Whitty, i reckon yes it has made a difference to the strength / rigidity of tissues within the foot. Running may have also 'splayed' out the toes, maybe relaxing the connective tissues - i guess!

I do a lot of walking and some jogging. On average 5 km per day minimum - normally 2000km / yr. In my feet i see stronger bigger tendons and stronger arches. Best looking bits of my body are my feet!

If you're squeezed into a LV boot ( as i do ) it doesn't take much to change from a tightly snug to an uncomfortable squeeze and then a cold boot. It might just be a single 1mm that has made all the difference.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You may also have lost some ankle or calf flexibility which would be pushing your feet forward in the boot and crushing your toes?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe feet get wider/bigger with age or weight gain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Pregnancy can change your feet size, permanently sometimes. All to do with the hormones that relax ligaments and stuff.

I'm definitely not pregnant, think Mrs Whitty would be as shocked me
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T_Hee wrote:
@Whitty, i reckon yes it has made a difference to the strength / rigidity of tissues within the foot. Running may have also 'splayed' out the toes, maybe relaxing the connective tissues - i guess!

I do a lot of walking and some jogging. On average 5 km per day minimum - normally 2000km / yr. In my feet i see stronger bigger tendons and stronger arches. Best looking bits of my body are my feet!

If you're squeezed into a LV boot ( as i do ) it doesn't take much to change from a tightly snug to an uncomfortable squeeze and then a cold boot. It might just be a single 1mm that has made all the difference.

My boots were a very snug fit to start with but not painful. Running wise, I started the year off steadily but really ramped it up from summer. Probably been doing 20-30 miles a week with a mix of trails and roads.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a friend with Lange boots, which he had stretched when he bought them. They were always too tight on the first week of the winter, so he'd have them stretched again, and they'd be OK for the next few weeks. Over the summer, they would shrink again, and the process would have to be repeated each winter. He was told it was something to do with the memory of the plastic. Eventually, he gave up and bought new boots.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitty, not so much as make them bigger, but they will have changed shape, especially the forefoot. Your running shoes have allowed the ligaments to stretch and the foot/toes to splay. Your foot like your hand has very few muscles and they are all under your arch . . . and depending on your running style/technique they may have developed or even atrophied . . . again this can change the shape of your foot.
It may help to have new footbeds made but your forefoot is going to feel uncomfortable for a long time. Add to that if you continue to run as exercise you may need to find a boot with a little more width to the 'last'

Give CEM a message. He's a snowHead with a real and professional foot fetish wink He can advise you properly. It may just mean a gentle easing of your current boots sideways. Not changing the volume, just helping them fit yer new foot shape.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamcham wrote:
I had a friend with Lange boots, which he had stretched when he bought them. They were always too tight on the first week of the winter, so he'd have them stretched again, and they'd be OK for the next few weeks. Over the summer, they would shrink again, and the process would have to be repeated each winter. He was told it was something to do with the memory of the plastic. Eventually, he gave up and bought new boots.

Never heard of that before!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque wrote:
@Whitty, not so much as make them bigger, but they will have changed shape, especially the forefoot. Your running shoes have allowed the ligaments to stretch and the foot/toes to splay. Your foot like your hand has very few muscles and they are all under your arch . . . and depending on your running style/technique they may have developed or even atrophied . . . again this can change the shape of your foot.
It may help to have new footbeds made but your forefoot is going to feel uncomfortable for a long time. Add to that if you continue to run as exercise you may need to find a boot with a little more width to the 'last'

Give CEM a message. He's a snowHead with a real and professional foot fetish wink He can advise you properly. It may just mean a gentle easing of your current boots sideways. Not changing the volume, just helping them fit yer new foot shape.

Think another trip to Rivington Alpine may be needed. I've measured my feet again and the widest part is still 95mm barefoot, unsupported so nothing changed there. I think, like you said that the toes have 'spread'. Especially the big one and they seem to have turned up at the end. They were really helpful last time even though I bought the boots elsewhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitty, My understanding is that some of the more modern plastics, especially those advertised as custom moldable shells, need to be heated under tightly controlled conditions, and if they are not, the stretched plastic reverts to its previous shape after a while. Of course, this may be a myth. Hopefully, someone who knows better, like CEM, will be along soon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamcham wrote:
@Whitty, My understanding is that some of the more modern plastics, especially those advertised as custom moldable shells, need to be heated under tightly controlled conditions, and if they are not, the stretched plastic reverts to its previous shape after a while. Of course, this may be a myth. Hopefully, someone who knows better, like CEM, will be along soon.

Sounds plausible. I think they just ground some out last time. Maybe for that reason? When you look at the liners out of the boot they don't look to allow hardly any room for the big toe. They look almost symmetrical as if they fit either foot Very Happy
ski holidays
I've ran the South Downs Way 100 this summer and after and the training leading up to it, my feet had widened significantly. I couldn't run in any of my original running shoes without discomfort and was looking into new 'wider fit' shoes. However, six months later (albeit with another 70 miler done), they are fine again. So matches with the idea that your ligaments spread apart and the reverse can happen too.

FWIW I have custom insoles in my running shoes and ski boots from www.profeet.co.uk - highly recommend them - 2000 miles of running last year and no injuries.
snow report
@Whitty, Maybe a stupid question but... Were you using the same socks that you normally use?
Different socks (whether slightly thicker or newer, so fluffier) have my feet complaining.
ski holidays
@Whitty, if the boot has been ground out then it cannot revert back, if it has been stretched then it should t come back, but if stored at a higher than normal room temperature long term then they can regress a little, my best guess is
1 you have not had them on for 10 months
2 your running has tightened your calf muscle so you are not at the back of the boot so being forced into the toe box
3 a gremlin has stuck an extra insole in them or swapped all your thin ski socks for thicker ones
latest report
SaraJ wrote:
@Whitty, Maybe a stupid question but... Were you using the same socks that you normally use?
Different socks (whether slightly thicker or newer, so fluffier) have my feet complaining.

Actually bought some of the really thin smartwool PhD ones which I'm embarrassed to admit I had to wear all week! Tried my regular solomon ones on the 2nd day and had to go straight back and change them as I couldn't feel my toes by the time I'd got to top of the first lifts Sad
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
@Whitty, if the boot has been ground out then it cannot revert back, if it has been stretched then it should t come back, but if stored at a higher than normal room temperature long term then they can regress a little, my best guess is
1 you have not had them on for 10 months
2 your running has tightened your calf muscle so you are not at the back of the boot so being forced into the toe box
3 a gremlin has stuck an extra insole in them or swapped all your thin ski socks for thicker ones

I've been to Chill Factor a couple of times and although they felt a bit tight I thought, as you say it was because I'd not had them on since March. As I just mentioned in my previous post I've bought some thin socks to try and ended up wearing them all week Embarassed
My calf muscles are definitely tighter as I can't touch my toes as easy as I could. You may be on to something there! Best get stretching! And a visit to rivvy alpine as I'm from oop North.
snow report
@Whitty, stretvching will possibly help, BUT get on a foam roller.. instrument of torture but used daily will break down the fascia and five yoy more range of motion
latest report
have you been to the quacks?
lots of internal organ issues can cause feet to retain more water & salts.
ski holidays
@Whitty, my feet gained about a UK size when I started running a lot. This is pretty consistent with what long distance hikers report in the US in the first few hundred to thousand miles of hikes like the PCT (where you feet didn’t increase any further because the running had already done that to me). I was a 8-8.5 and am now 9-9.5. This meant that my old Lange comp 120 boots went from a bit sloppy (packed out liner) to too tight for all day use.
latest report
Just had another measure of my feet as been on them all day. They're definitely wider and longer at the big toe! 100mm unsupported and just over 27cm with back of ankle touching skirting board to tip of big toe. Just wearing the liner on its own is scrunching my big toe inwards. Tried my foot in the shell and I reckon there's about 15mm max gap at the ankle. Think I might need new boots in next shell size up Sad
snow report
snow conditions
I had to get my left boot widened behind the ball of my foot after I started walking 5-6 miles a day. The boots had been perfect for 3 years up to that point, so my foot had definitely changed.
snow report
Were the boots stored in your loft all summer or in a cool garage? They may have suffered in the heat.
ski holidays
blueski2 wrote:
Were the boots stored in your loft all summer or in a cool garage? They may have suffered in the heat.

Unfortunately they have been in a ludicrously hot spare upstairs bedroom in a 'chalet style bungalow'. It's that hot we can't use it during the summer as the roof is in the sun all day! I'm guessing that's not done them any favours?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitty, that hot storage is like slow cooking them all summer, at least they will be tender!

that foot in the liner thing you have done is a waste of time and causes more people to think their boots are wrong than most other things combined, go back, see the fitter, i think that yes you may have to get them stretched but i don't think it is time for a new set quite yet

the "just over 27cm" unless accurately measured is relevant but not a measurement i would trust 100% be aware that if you have a 15mm shell check (measured correctly) that the next size up will give 25mm which is fine if you are sliding form coffee to coffee one week a year but will most likely pack out badly after a couple of weeks use.

you have been working with the guys at Rivington, go back see them and trust them, rather then relaying on the internet.... nothing is more accurate than having the foot and the boot in front of you
snow conditions
@Whitty, that hot storage is like slow cooking them all summer, at least they will be tender!
Very Happy
I'm no bootfitter! I just like to know how things work. Will get them looked at professionally. At least no one has said they're horrendously wrong sized! Thanks for all the input guys/girls.
ski holidays
Whitty wrote:

Hmmmmm . . .

Getting rid of the nail fungus is as equal as boot fitment and your 'little piggy' looks like you may be better off without it Shocked You may want to get yer feet fixed before you worry about boot fit Confused
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Whitty wrote:

Hmmmmm . . .

Getting rid of the nail fungus is as equal as boot fitment and your 'little piggy' looks like you may be better off without it Shocked You may want to get yer feet fixed before you worry about boot fit Confused

Very Happy Definitely no fungus! It's bruising, think I'm going to lose my nail again Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy