Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski choice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I've skied on my own Atomic Smoke Ti skis since 2010. They've done about 32 weeks now and, while hot-waxing them in preparation for our trip to Tahoe later this month, I have just noticed that one ski has some significant sole damage which may mean I have to replace them once I've had an expert opinion in the resort.

Even though I'm not young (69 years old) I ski better now than I used to, as I have done a lot more skiing since retiring. I would say I'm an advanced intermediate and strongly prefer pistes/trails with or without bumps to off-piste and powder. I like doing both short and long turns.

My question is: what skis from the last two or three years should I be looking to buy if I need to. I love the control, stability and ease of turning of the Atomics and their response at higher speeds, and would want something very similar. I'm not interested in the latest skis for the sake of it. I'd be looking for a good, cost-effective ski/binding package that gives me immediate confidence.

Are there any recommendations from you people with far more knowledge and experience than me? I'd be very grateful for any informed suggestions - thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might have a look at the Head iShape (Speed/Magnum/Rally/Titan).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, Head Magnums could be ideal, and usually relatively easy to find a good deal on.

Welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lot of people (including myself) like the Atomic Hero Elite series. [Edit - which are really Rossignols...oops.] The ST (short turn, slalom-type) ski is probably the best piste ski (I have spoken to folk at Glencoe using it happily there in mixed conditions); they also do an LT (long turn, i.e. GS type) and the AT (all turn). I have the latter in a lightweight (no Ti) Carbon form, and as well as being light to carry I am very pleased with them as an easy to ski, all round piste to mixed condition set aim at your ability level. (To be honest, I wanted the STs but they were heavier and also cost more.)
There is also the Atomic Vantage range, which many have good things to say about.
I have also heard good things of the Head Magnums, Titans, Rally or Speed (depending on your waist width choice) and was seriously considering them myself (cost determined my choice in the end).
I also have a set of Scott Reverse which are more All Mountain than pure piste, although fine for anything but hardpack (and that just because I'm lazy and a lousy unfit skier, I think), and again they are very nice and easy skis, medium radius and again fairly lightweight. Other Scott models have good reviews and can fall into the piste category.
Hope that helps a bit - it's a minefield trying to find new skis. Try and test (via the Snowheads Oktobertests if you're in the UK or by hiring from a shop at a dome or whilst in resort) if you can. Some resorts also have ski test days, depending where you are and when. Or just give up on the cost and hassle of flying with them (if you do) and having them serviced and hire from now on.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 9-01-19 19:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all of you for your help. It's given me a very good steer on what to look for if I need to. Ski hire in the States, where we mainly ski, is not cheap. We tend to go for several weeks, so our own skis are the way to go, although I take your point, Grizzler, if skiing for shorter periods.
Good, safe skiing, everyone and thanks again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizzler wrote:
A lot of people (including myself) like the Atomic Hero Elite series.

I think they are made by Rossignol.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, Oooops Embarassed Mea idiot Culpa Embarassed (just had them in hand as well!) I was thinking about the Atomic Redsters for some reason - another similar ski (or range) which I'd like to own and which the OP might want to consider.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizzler wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Oooops Embarassed Mea idiot Culpa Embarassed (just had them in hand as well!)

I only mentioned it, in case the OP wanted to look into them.....I've heard great things about them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I'd already clocked the slip once I'd done a search on them - thanks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy