Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School trip ski kit help needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm clearly new here. I found this place and have read countless threads on gear ever since. My eldest is 12 and is going on a school ski trip at Easter. I read the sticky thread for newbies and understand what he needs in principal (ties in with the school list.)
Given my son has paid for the large chunk of the trip himself, I would like to try and at least ensure he's got the best chance of being comfortable with his kit without breaking the bank as he may not go again for some time.
In terms of jacket - I have one bought from the Surfanic sale for £40 ish over the summer (it's mens as his now in mens) and will do as a school coat if needs be afterward. We have been given some tresspass trousers for free which fit. Helmet will be hired from school.
Base layer: we have various sets from scouts and sports including a thermal Helly Hansen set, under armour etc. Not sure which ones wick best but I'm sure he'll know. Will these be ok? (both bottoms and tops)
Under Layer - I'm a bit stuck on these, school said polonecks will do. We don't really have anything other than some ancient cotton polonecks. I don't really want to buy two sets of merino wool stuff as he's growing like a weed and it may well get lost etc on a school trip!
Mid layer - He's already got a couple of micro fleeces.
Socks - He was given some Decathlon ones for Christmas - not the cheap ones. They seem ok. He only has 2 pairs - think he will need 3 to last the week.
Gloves - I'm stuck on these. I guess when you're learning you really need waterproof gloves. My budget is £20-25. I have no idea what's good though. I have found tresspass ones and others at SportPursuit that look ok. If the gloves could be used again (eg for motorcyling) then all the better.
Goggles - school said to buy good sunglasses as they will have more future use. I think they'll get sat on immediately!!! So may be goggles. Again budget max £25. Again seen some bluetribe ones or Bolle Schuss for around that. A mate has offered to lend him some but do I really want the responsability of my son taking decent goggles and them getting broken/lost? Also what do you buy when you've no idea what the weather's doing to do. I assume fair/sun (will there even be snow?) for the start of April.
Is there anything else I should be thinking of? I'm sorry I'm so clueless!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter will be much warmer (or less cold) than skiing in Jan /Feb so chances are he will be skiing in a base layer and ski jacket only and thermal long Johnson won’t be needed. Learning is a. Lot of falling, getting up walking etc so you keep very warm. He should have a ‘mid layer’ with him, any sweatshirt or jumper will do, but might not need it if it’s sunny.

His base layer doesn’t to need to be merino, a football ‘skin’ or cheap decathlon/ aldi etc base layer is fine, just re read above, what you have will be fine. For bottoms, 3/4 length I’d better. Do not tuck anything into the socks, you want sock and sock only inside your boot, otherwise the creases will rub and hurt.

Decathlon socks or good. Prob 3 pairs for a week, as he won’t be disciplined enough to wash them during the week!

Goggles do work better with a helmet and cover all eventualities so what you have seen will be fine.

Gloves, again look at decathlon/ sport pursuit, it won’t be bitter cold so budget ones are fine.

A snood thingy is always useful to keep neck warm, and stashes easily in a pocket if too hot

A selection of thin layers is good. Probably were 1-2 under his jacket for day 1 (base plus micro fleece) and he can then adjust from there depending on how hot or cold he felt.

Don’t overtighen the foot part of the boot, but have the top clips on the shin pretty tight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Borrow as much as you can from others. What part of the world are you in? Nearest town?
Everyone is different so what one person says will be different from the next person. There is no "right answer".
What I am putting below is what suits me. Your son is likely to be standing around more if he is just beginning, whilst the instructor talks to the group, or waiting his turn in the group, so less activity, more standing around, more potential to feel the cold. But in April, depending on where he is going, it should be fine
Gloves are important though. Not just to stay warm but also protection.
The trip is at Easter. Is that Easter School Holidays? Mid-April? Where is the trip to? Europe?
There could be a huge variance in weather and temperature
And as everyone is different, some people will find they "run hot" and need less clothing worn than others.
My own preference is for sunglasses rather than goggles as I always find goggles steam up. But it's useful to have a set of cheap goggles in case of blizzard conditions.
In April in Europe I would expect to ski in a set of ski trousers / salopettes which will have some padding / insulation. I personally would not expect to wear thermal long johns under them. I tend to ski in a long sleeved rugby shirt under a (padded insulated) ski jacket and take a T-Shirt in a small rucksack if I find I am getting cold. I would have a thermal vest at the accommodation or if it seemed colder than expected, in my pack.
Gloves for me in April. Mittens only in December / January for me. And a cheap spare pair is useful as they will get wet and your son will probably forget to dry them out overnight. I take a pair of those very thin "one size stretches to all" gloves as well in case it does get unexpectedly cold. I would buy a couple of pairs of cheap gloves in March when your local ski shop is selling stock off at the end of the season (£5-£10 a pair???) Motorcycle gloves are very different, with plastic / solid protection over the outside / knuckles. You want warmth and a reinforced palm.
Sun cream / lip cream in a combination stick. High sun protection factor.
A "snood" "buff" call it whatever you want is useful. One of those tubes of thin stretchy material that goes around your neck but you can pull up to cover your face or even fit under a helmet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh - and if wearing glasses / sunglasses, think about one of those loops that attaches to the ends of the "arms" of the glasses and loops behind your head so they don't get lost under a foot of snow when he falls (as he will) and they come off (as they will). You can get them in colours for younger people so he doesn't have to look like an old git. Google it or look on ebay. £1 well spent
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aldi has ski gear soon
Also worth a look on sports direct which is quite cheap for stuff & TkMaxx

Wouldnt spend so much on gloves. Might be better to buy 2 cheaper pairs (one pair can dry when other is in use).

Whats his level, etc.? If he's a beginner, then no need to go massively overboard.
Might be a slight risk of getting cold if he is waiting around a lot with a group lesson.

Also worth looking up the resort to get an idea of historical temps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rachelba99, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

Have you seen the thread by @valais2?

In the 2nd Hand section with thread title ‘Stupid amount of kids’ kit’.

Maybe worth a look?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.discountedsunglasses.co.uk/bolle-sonar-sunglasses.html#var1=Blue%20Silver%20%2F%20TNS%20Gun%20Silver%20Mirror

For sunglasses, we find that the type in link are generally very tough and usable across many use situations. Bolle are decent make, not sure the price fits your range but some searching could turn up something.

Tested by my son, crashed, sat on, dropped various heights, they still survive. They'll stop the light round end of lens too as it's usually v-bright that time of year Very Happy

Youv'e not indicated your area, if someone was close enough to hand items over it may help.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was a great tip on another thread not long ago about getting Bolle sunglasses from Screwfix - sold as safety glasses and a decent looking range available for around £10 - £13.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rachelba99, sounds like you are on the right track already with dual use items and are doing well.

You've got a fair bit of time before he heads off and sales should be underway before that.
Decathlon is a good place not to spend too much if buying new.

On the glove front, maybe get two pairs, they do get dropped/lost rather easily. They shouldnt be too expensive. Check they come with leashes, if not you can buy separately. Much harder to lose.

Is school helmet in good nick?

And well done to your son for him paying for the trip!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Primark is really good for thermals/base layer
Try sportspursuit (on line) for gloves
As others have said take more than one pair
A hat and a buff helps with wind and also some helmets are really uncomfortable so a thin hat helps. If it is windy you really need a buff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rachelba99, welcome to Snowheads!
You seem to be on the right track already, and given that the lad has paid for his trip I think you are both playing a blinder!

I'd second the comment about base layer and jacket for Easter. A mid layer can be added or taken off but as others have noted it can be hard work and effort when you're learning, which can make you warm.

I also second the points about socks. Don't tuck things in to them. We reckon on several pairs for a week, as I haven't yet met a teenage boy who voluntarily washes his kit!

My children have all found goggles more comfortable than sunglasses. You don't have to spend much to get a pair that will block the necessary UV and provide the definition that is so helpful. For sure, you can spend hundreds of quid on Oakley and Smith goggles which are excellent, but Bolle do some good pairs for not much money.

Decathlon and Aldi have had good budget gear. We have had the occasional dud bit of gear from Decathlon, but generally it's good.

Keep your eyes on the second hand kit for sale section. If another Snowheads has gear for your son's size then it's definitely worth a shout. From personal experience, @valais2 occasionally has a gear clear out, very good gear, and he's a nice chap to boot!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Suntan lotion, suntan lotion .and.suntan lotion.
Base layers can also get very hot and sweaty at Easter. He may need a fair few.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lip salve of some sort. A dual pack with sun tan lotion is good if you can find them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you everyone for the replies - I am based near Biggleswade in Bedfordshire. Son is going to Italy in the first week in April (Aosta Valley). Looks like I will be able to get some cheap sunnies from Screwfix (and the loops!) and will get some basic double goggles. I do have some cheap gloves already that will fit him, so I'll double up with another better pair. Noted about the sunscreen combo - I have seen those.
Will stock up on socks and not worry to much about base layers as at last count there were 5 sets. Then I'll pack a mid layer (and not too worry about the extra under layer - again can pack something we already have.)
I had forgotten about the neck scarf - we have various Buff types - the thin ones and then some fleecey ones.
I will keep checking in here and seeing what else people come up with. Also if he likes it, there is the possibility of further trips. I wish I was going. I used to love skiing!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Usually good stuff to be found here:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2019-01-20
latest report
Full length zip on mid and outer layer good. Can be both cold and warm in April, so full zip allows more adjustability to temperature.

Factor 50 water resistant sun cream. One thorough application in morning might do the job in case lunchtime top up forgotten.
snow report
Gloves, have a look in Sp0rts Direct, their Nevica gloves are reasonable. If your son is skiing at Easter it shouldnt be in minus temps during the day. A temp +5 etc will be very warm especially as he will be doing a physical activity. Other than that you seem to have everything covered. All my layers are multi functionalthat I use for skiing, cycling and walking.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy