Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leaky Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a trip in which my trusty Salomon (performa 9.0) boots have begun to leak to the extent that on removing my boot you can ring out the sock and when removing the inner the water can be poured (only a few drips but never the less ) from the remainder of the shell.
The boots fit well and have never had this problem before, any suggestions as to this sudden change Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess they need a bit of duct tape around the rubber plug near the toe of the boot. Worth a try. And you'll look a real mountain man. Or woman. Confusing these snowheads' names.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RDSpearing, Are they leaking or is just man sweat Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RDSpearing, your use of the word "trusty" inplies to me that your boots are pretty old? Have you checked the shell for any hairline cracks?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have checked them, they appear to be ok, they are about 7 years old, have worn them for about 15 weeks, I have had a man sweat issue in them before but not at minus 15!!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RDSpearing, appearances at room temperature can be deceiving, particularly when things contract at -15C, I'd put the duct tape on the rubber toe dam piece anyway. Then start looking for loose hardware on the boot like buckle rivets and things.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RDSpearing, duct tape as has been said before, or a bead of silicon sealant to seal the water dam if you don't like the look of the duct tape.... mind you 15 weeks use the liner will be well compacted so it could soon be time for some new ones Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, are you being serious about replacing boots after 15 weeks or so?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, fairly serious yep

the liner of a ski boot degrades from the first week of skiing, the total lifespan is around 120 skier days :- 6 days skiing per week =20weeks total

the liner will last longest if the boot fits the foot well, if there is excess space or any movement then the foot will press against the liner and compact it in certain areas, the shell will last much longer but in most cases there is no replacement liner available excluding aftermarket liners costing between £100 & £200 so most people don't bother. other factors like sweat, or not drying the boot out properly or constant on / off of boots with regular dry slope users can break the liner down also

although it doesn't sound like a lot that 20 weeks is on average 10 years or more of life, by this time technology and fashion has dictated that you need new boots any way....... i still have people calling me up for spares for boots that are over 20 years old and they get quite shirty when i tell them the parts aren't available any more Puzzled Puzzled

remember i don't make loads of money from selling boots, the basic consultation is the same whether you are buying new ones or having fitting on an old pair so i have no real vested interest on what someone has[other than i wnat it to fit properly] Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woo-hoo, new boots for me then.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM,

Quote:

constant on / off of boots with regular dry slope users can break the liner down also

So as one of the above - how can I tell ? My boots are 4 years old...will have had 20 weeks or so snow use (lucky old me)....and lot's of dry slope abuse. They feel a little more sloppy than when new, but not that much ? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM wrote:
Kramer, fairly serious yep

the liner of a ski boot degrades from the first week of skiing, the total lifespan is around 120 skier days :- 6 days skiing per week =20weeks total

I'd back that... I feel I need new liners/boots about every 2 years or so...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
seems like a good excuse to treat yourself to some new boots to me mate snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

seems like a good excuse to treat yourself to some new boots to me mate

Love to buy some new boots but spend this years skiing money on holidays ( just back from 10days in Banff) with 2 further weeks to come still the only option may be to raid the kids' piggy banks, how much for a really good pair of boots these days for an advanced skier?
Does skiing type e.g. on piste off piste balance matter?
Does type of ski used matter?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RDSpearing, boots for advanced skier £220-£350 depending on how advanced, skiing more off piste may indicate a slightly softer boot, but much more important is foot shape + body weight[for flex]

remember to add a bit for footbeds £30-£100 dependin gon your foot and the level of support and comfort you want Toofy Grin
snow report
@CEM, the advice above is very helpful and may help my own slightly leaky atomics. Regarding the silicone bead is that best applied with the boots done up but not on your feet? Strangely my wife won't let me silicone anything around the house (any more) but is quite happy for me to silicone my ski boots to my hearts content!
snow report
Holy Thread Resurrection Bat-toyah807! Nearly 12 years!
snow report
@under a new name, fair point! I didn't even notice that.....amazing what a Google search throws up!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy