Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Shovel and Probe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Read an old forum post from 2012, but suspect kit has moved on from then. Looking for a neat, small shovel and probe system. Ie probe stowing in shovel handle and handle detachable from blade.
Wondered what anyone had found??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a BCA one on ebay last year.
An integral 2.4m probe that stows in the handle.
Similar to this http://backcountrysafety.com/snow-shovels/backcountry-access-arsenal-snow-shovel-with-avalanche-probe/ but my 2nd hand one only cost about £20.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to have a BCA one but the handle fell out of my sack somewhere in Les Karellis. This prompted a rethink.

Getting the probe out and the pins back in is a bit fiddly - not what you need when you’re panicking. The probe was very short - less than 2m IIRC. The handle was quite short which made for inefficient digging.

Now I have 3.2m probe and a 3-part shovel with a decent handle.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Getting the probe out and the pins back in is a bit fiddly - not what you need when you’re panicking. The probe was very short - less than 2m IIRC. The handle was quite short which made for inefficient digging.

I have this one I think. The probe is short, but it is over 2m, maybe 2.2 or 2.4?

It's far too fiddly to get it out of the handle, when skiing I remove it and keep it seperate in my rucksack, I only keep it in the handle for storage. It's frankly a bad idea, I would advise against buying one. A 2 or 3 part shoel is great, but get a separate probe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
don't bother to think small, generally a probe should be 2.2m or longer - for lower weight go carbon. For shovel think strong, plastic is junk and won't dig in concrete avalanche snow. Pick from the top brands in this field, ie ortovox, BCA or similar.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As I've mentioned before even 2.4 is too small really when you think about it, as you stand when probing - so that's nigh on 2m gone for a start!

On a course a good few years ago when we were asked to get our probes out the head guide/instructor threw mine away as being as useless as "fill in the gaps".

Majority of lightweight kit you see is for ski Mo racers to meet the regulations for racing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As @Charliee says, think about why you are carrying this stuff and how easier it will be to deploy in a time of very high stress.

I looked at carbon probes but the Ortovox PFA one I have is virtually the same weight and half the price. Don't be tempted to save weight with a plastic shovel.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I recommend Black Diamond 3m probe and the Deploy shovel with the metal blade
The handle goes down into the blade so it’s neat but still very strong.
Never had any trouble with both in my rucksack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I recommend Black Diamond 3m probe and the Deploy shovel with the metal blade
The handle goes down into the blade so it’s neat but still very strong.
Never had any trouble with both in my rucksack.

agreed! Same here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tomahawk Tone, had both about 10 years. Like someone else said you want a decent length probe because your pal could be down that deep. So that’s why I’ve got a 3m one seemed a good all rounder.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy