Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski packing lists + unusual things to take

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Wondererd if there many of you out there use a ski kit packing list ? I find it useful, especially as I get older. The trick is to update it after getting back home.

As far as more unusual things to take:

Several LED COB lights as i find lighting can be rubbish in mountain hotels and apartments.

Epoxy resin and superglue gel as they can fix most things.

Sticky back plastic to cover a piste map so it does not dissolve by day 3.

Temporary tooth filler.

New this year is a WiFi repeater. I read the wifi is a bit hit/miss in the apartment I'm renting. It plugs into wall to pump up the size of the WiFi area.

Probably one of most handiest modified kit I take is my mittens with a cheap analogue watch attached to the cuff.

What do you take ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-01-19 13:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Extension lead and an adaptor, one euro adaptor on UK plug and hey presto lots of posibilities
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extension lead and an adaptor, one euro adaptor on UK plug and hey presto lots of posibilities
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@enigma, +1. A 4-gang extension lead plus adaptor
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weetabix, Omeprazol, Neurofen, Lens Wipes, iPhone charger
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dammit the idea of the 4 gang plug and adaptor is genius
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Double decker bars
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some duct tape wrapped round an old video rental plastic card. Other cards are available...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have, very often, found myself in a lovely hotel, with comfy beds, a beautiful view, great food, friendly service, excellent company, big TV and crappy little stereo... so I take a [not insignificant] sound system with me to make up for the expected shortfall Toofy Grin

I like to have a couple of phone power bricks. That way, one can always be left on charge in the hotel while the other is in your pocket just in case. It's not just for phones either - I have a head torch that charges via USB and that's the thing you really don't want to be flat when U need it.

Duct tape can be useful wrapped around a ski pole.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-01-19 13:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never leave the UK without a stash of tea bags Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We self cater and bathroom lighting is always poor so light bulb suggestion is excellent. Post skiing bath with a beer and book, sorted.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we pack stubby holders for beer bottles and decent waiters friend corkscrew. This year will also take decent wine glasses.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No Style wrote:
This year will also take decent wine glasses.
Stylishly done, No Style.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No Style refers to my skiing, not drinking..........
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Past couple of trips we've taken the spices for a chilli. Just by meat, garlic and onions in resort. Tea bags deffo a must and I'm the only one of our gang of 4 who remembers to bring a basic first aid kit.

Apartments also seem to be lacking in egg cups so we've often made egg cups from the egg box but on recent trips one of the guys has brought collapsible egg cups.
snow conditions
No Style wrote:
No Style refers to my skiing, not drinking..........
Laughing
snow conditions
@admin,
Quote:

I take a [not insignificant] sound system
...and some of us take ear defenders. wink
ski holidays
When I used to self cater with my dad - he would bring a couple of frozen curries that would defrost by the time we got to our accommodation for dinner. Plus a million wagon wheels.
Strangely I have never thought of taking an extension cable - great tip.
ski holidays
Coffee machine for the appartment.
latest report
I always chuck an ice scraper in my case for the hire car. Why, oh why do cars rented in cold/snowy locations not have an ice scraper in them ? Puzzled
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@admin,
Quote:

I take a [not insignificant] sound system
...and some of us take ear defenders. wink

We have a couple of small Bluetooth speakers that produce a great sound when connected to the phone/I-pod but whose sound is well contained and localised so doesn't disturb others in neighbouring rooms/apartments or even when out and about. Don't take up a lot of weight either.
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
I always chuck an ice scraper in my case for the hire car. Why, oh why do cars rented in cold/snowy locations not have an ice scraper in them ? Puzzled

I have never had a hire car without one.
snow report
Ear plugs for noisy sleepers and Energy/Protein bars for on the go this year. I Felt like I was getting woke up by a shot gun half the night last year
ski holidays
Every rental car I've had has had an ice scraper, but usually it's a really tiny one that's useful on a UK frosty morning, but useless in a ski resort with 30cm snow dumped overnight.

Certainly some unusual items on the list above. We do have lights and tea in continental Europe believe it or not Wink Bacon on the other hand...
snow report
halfhand wrote:

whose sound is well contained and localised so doesn't disturb others in neighbouring rooms/apartments

/hotels/resorts
latest report
As confirmed self drive self caterers we always take tea, gin & tonic, ice tray and corkscrew. A couple of 4 or 6 gangs - one for us, one for the teens. Also take an adaptor - Europe to UK to that is the most suitable point only has 1 socket we can plug the light or whatever back in. Pack of cards and plenty of books - well downloads for the Kindle. Have taken a slow cooker in the past. wink

Also a dustpan brush to clear snow from the car roof, box, windscreen etc and snow shovel.
snow report
Cork screw! And melatonin (available over the counter in US)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 3-01-19 14:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
grahamt1980 wrote:

I thought everyone did that. There are never enough sockets in any accommodation, on the one that are are usually behind a bed or similar
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alka Seltzer XS
snow conditions
Alka Seltzer XS
ski holidays
Have a ski pack list in OneNote on my phone. Things get ticked as they go in the bag pre-holiday and unticked as they go in for the homeward journey. A little OCD perhaps but makes life less stressful as once everything's ticket you know everything's packed.

Almost always take tea bags and have even been known to take a little travel kettle (often use a cheap hotel with no tea/coffee facilities in the rooms).

If self catering and know there will actually be a lot of catering rather than "Shal we just eat out?" evenings I sharp knife often goes in too (the number of places I've stayed where the sharpest edges in the building were on the sides of my skis).
ski holidays
@Mjit,
Quote:

sharp knife often goes in too

I always used to take my favourite kitchen knife on holiday, but have become somewhat paranoid about leaving it behind, so now I take a small knife sharpener instead.
snow report
t4tomo wrote:
grahamt1980 wrote:

I thought everyone did that. There are never enough sockets in any accommodation, on the one that are are usually behind a bed or similar

There are in my place. 12 in the kitchen/living area and 4 plus 2 USB in the bedroom
snow conditions
+1's for the small brush for getting rid of snow when packing skis/boots after skiing - and de-snowing car, if you're lucky! Also, a knife sharpener for the selection of self-catering butter knives......
ski holidays
Goblin Teasmade snowHead
latest report
This year we have extension lead with USB sockets built in - saves yet another faff!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-surge-protected-extension-lead-2-1a-2g-usb-charger-black-1m/5427g
snow report
Variation on the '4 gang plug' I use is that I have one that has a 'kettle socket' (C13/C14) on the lead, as I travel a lot and kettle/computer leads are cheap to get hold of and more robust than adaptors
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
This year we have extension lead with USB sockets built in - saves yet another faff!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-surge-protected-extension-lead-2-1a-2g-usb-charger-black-1m/5427g

Got to have one of these Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Lockets and Lemsip (other brands are available) - if I don't have to use them myself I pass them on to Brit staff in my accommodation or (if none) other Brit seasonnaires in resort - better than a cash tip if the lurgy is about (as it is every season). rolling eyes
ski holidays
Got an extension lead with eu plug but 3 uk plug points and 4 usb plugs. Revolutionised my life!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy