Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for non-EU residents

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody got any ideas on where a non EU resident (aussie) could get off piste ski insurance for Europe (probably France)?
Thanks in advance,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy the Carre Neige with your ski pass to get you off the hill and Bupa Global Travel Insurance to cover your medical. https://www.bupaglobal.com/en/travel-insurance
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, that looks like a good option
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gregonic, won’t cover repatriation though...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Bupa Global covers the repatriation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wait a few months and everyone here will be expert on it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philwig, Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the same question as the original poster, except I am a resident of the United States. I will be skiing in France and Switzerland and am also looking for off-piste coverage. I will be sure to get the Carre Neige (for getting off hill on French leg), but @raceplate's recommended insurance is not available to US residents.

Anybody know of or have experience with insurance that will cover US residents for off-piste in Europe?

The closest match I have found so far is the Voyager Choice plan (https://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/), however it doesn't mention off-piste skiing specifically but states it does not cover 'extreme skiing' (without defining it).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just watch for the differences between Carré Neige (daily bought with lift pass) and Carte Neige (bought for season). The Carré can be limited to the ski area you are in, ie off piste reached from a lift in the specific area. If you want to go touring, visit numerous resorts or stop for an extended period then go Carte!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the clarification on the difference between the two @chocksaway Very Happy Could be crucial depending on what I end up doing.

After further research I did find a company that insures US residents, though at $189 for 13 days the coverage is very expensive. It does explicitly cover off-piste and even guided and unguided backcountry, as long as you go with the extreme version. Here is the link in case it is of use to others:

https://quoteusa.dogtag.com/secure?action=quotesingle

Not sure how reliable they are as I can't find much in the way of reviews.

Residents of the UK and Australia look to have a much wider array of options, and at better rates.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skiscouse, do you not think your regular US private health insurance would cover your medical expenses in Europe? A bit of a hassle because you need to contact them ASAP to try to get authorization and then you may have to pay yourself first and get reimbursed, but I think it would cover you (though you would still definitely want the “get me off the mountain coverage” for the applicable country. I would investigate that option with your insurer before buying additional coverage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mr. mike, good point about my regular insurer. Given how much they like to avoid paying for anything they can even when I am in the US, I had just assumed they would provide no coverage overseas. After a call it turns out they will cover emergency room and urgent care type charges. As you guessed this would be a case of them covering those charges - and only if properly documented and authorized - after the fact, so I would be out of pocket. They also wouldn't cover any type of evacuation, either off the mountain or back to the US if extended care were needed. Still, the combination of my regular insurer, a medical evacuation policy and the Carte Niege product discussed above would probably cover most of the risks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiscouse, I reached a similar conclusion after a few conversations with my insurer. FWIW, I have settled on Global Rescue for the evac portion of what you describe above. Thankfully, have had no use for it yet, so can't vouch for it entirely. I have, however, used their on call medical advice remotely a time or 2 on trips and have been pleased with the service. Based on area code, we received a phone call a couple of times from a nurse on the Philippines who was very helpful with some questions we had emailed regarding medical questions, and even connected us with an overseas doctor for an appointment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
Wait a few months and everyone here will be expert on it.

We dont buy eu insurance.
We buy european insurance. Same product has had me covered for my treks to non eu european countries
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mr. mike wrote:
@skiscouse, I reached a similar conclusion after a few conversations with my insurer. FWIW, I have settled on Global Rescue for the evac portion of what you describe above. Thankfully, have had no use for it yet, so can't vouch for it entirely. I have, however, used their on call medical advice remotely a time or 2 on trips and have been pleased with the service. Based on area code, we received a phone call a couple of times from a nurse on the Philippines who was very helpful with some questions we had emailed regarding medical questions, and even connected us with an overseas doctor for an appointment.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. Very useful, and I will probably go with a similar solution. I've seen Global Rescue mentioned elsewhere, on the American Alpine Club site I believe. Anyway, cheers for tips, and as you say hopefully I will not be using any of it. Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy