Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay in Dolomites for end of February - mid March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads!

As I'm enjoying my time off between the skiing days in Tirol I've started planning our ski trip for the next year. I wanted to show Dolomites to my boyfriend for too long already. Maybe snowheads collective wisdom can help us to narrow the choices!

Our criteria:

- long stay for 2+ weeks
- stay somewhere away from the main resort. We don't need to stay in the resort with a car. Drive to the resort up till 40min is fine.
- small-ish town, but still town where there is a grocery store, some okay+ restaurants and cafes. Why: we want to be able to enjoy some dinners with wine and beer and do not drive afterwards. Embarassed
- Ideally not a "drive-through" town, but to the side of the main road, so it doesn't feel too busy.
- some space for walking around the town and nearby and not walking next to the cars
- something to explore driving around - some castles, or cheap spa, great places to eat, etc. But I hope Italy has that everywhere Smile

Example near Monterosa is Saint Vincent. We've spent a month there last year, exploring all the resorts and castles nearby. It was great. I'll definitely return to Aosta in the future!

Now I want to try something similar in Dolomites.

- For the weather, I see that end of february/beginning of March should be a good choice. Am I right?

- Which towns would you suggest to look at? Dolomites are so large; which even side of Dolomites to choose? Note that I'm looking for smaller towns away from the main resort ones.

- also, for the longer stay, do you use AirBnB or are there some local tricks in Dolomites?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not small and I've only ever been in summer but Bolzano is very pleasant.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brunico (Bruneck) might suit

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g194704-Activities-Brunico_Province_of_South_Tyrol_Trentino_Alto_Adige.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar wrote:
Not small and I've only ever been in summer but Bolzano is very pleasant.

Thank you! Bolzano seems to be of larger cities, true. But close to everything and a lot of options!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g194704-Activities-Brunico_Province_of_South_Tyrol_Trentino_Alto_Adige.html

Brunico looks just right! Great suggestion! How did you learn about it?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Bruneck/Brunico/Borneck last week. Castle, tick! Supermarkets, tick! Restaurants and cafes, tick! Old town with shops to wander round, tick! Skiing is connected by train to Percha/Perca for Kronplatz 6 minutes away and Vierschach/Versciaco for 3 Zinnen 40 minutes away. Trains and buses are free to use with a Süd Tirol guest card, provided by hotels that are in the scheme. Anything you want to know?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some moons ago I spent three months in Dobbiaco/ Toblash and totally loved my time there. The train will take you to the ski areas of three peaks and kronplatz so you live the car at home. Also By Train you can easily reach Lienz for the local ski area but you will need to pay an extra ticket , nothing major cost wise.
In anterselva (forgot the German name) you can try biathlon which is something I really want to do but is not cheap. When I was there I visited so many lakes but don’t remember any castles . lago di brais (South Tyrol most visited attraction) is a lot quieter in winter please don’t miss it if you go there. There should be a spa in san candido , the village next door . Hope it helps
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
neironet wrote:
albob wrote:

Brunico looks just right! Great suggestion! How did you learn about it?

Only by skiing at Kronplatz !!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bruneck is convenient for skiing Kronplatz and other resorts Alta Badia / Corvara / Arabba are either inside or close to your 40 minute driving time.
But it is a “drive through” town (although bypassed)
San Vigilio is quieter and not a drive through. It is much smaller than Bruneck but has a very well stocked Spar mini supermarket and a good selection of restaurants etc but not much nightlife.
It’s driveable to Corvara (about 35 minutes) Alta Badia San Cassiano. Arabba is about 50 minutes.
No castles etc but Bruneck is about 15 minutes away. Several attractions within reach (Ladin Museum / Lumen Museum / Messner Museum)
Good self catering accommodation (eg www.mareo.com and Tourist Information will send you a list
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy