Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve last week in March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, Mr and Mrs CheeseHorse were looking forwards to a lovely 5 day trip to Megeve mid march. It's going to be blue runs all the way - Mrs is just crossing from beginner to intermediate, Mr has switched to a board to slow him down, it has done the trick!

Disaster (work related) has struck and we have to either cancel (lose £135) or reschedule the trip. The only dates available are right in the very last week of March. Megeve is low altitude and I am worried about conditions. Is this too late for this resort?

I don't mind skiing on slush, I prefer it to ice, but just how slushy/muddy is this resort likely to be at the end or March?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CheeseHorse, as much as I like Megeve, I think you’d be lucky to get good snow conditions there at the end of March.

If you need to book soon, I’d suggest somewhere higher.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There should be some good skiing still but at resort level it could be looking a bit drear.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think it'd normally be too bad. But if you can find somewhere for ~£100 less in a higher ski area, might be worth going there and leaving Megeve for another time.

If not... well, depends on how much you mind losing £135!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CheeseHorse, will you have a car, if so les contimens is an option from megeve, but I feel cotes 2000 area will be fine. The princess runs down always seem the first to go off
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

les contimens is an option from megeve

As is Les Saisies, which should be OK and has plenty of easy skiing but for the sake of £135 I'd prefer to stay where I plan to ski.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@CheeseHorse, as much as I like Megeve, I think you’d be lucky to get good snow conditions there at the end of March.

If you need to book soon, I’d suggest somewhere higher.

This. You might have good conditions in Megeve in late March but I wouldn't book in advance. Even in EMB the shadier St Gervais slopes and shadier and higher Les C slopes will have better skiing.

Also worth saying that the French really don't bother with skiing EMB in late March. Most French have given up the ski season by then and those that still ski seem to head for the higher resorts. Implication is that you have NO NEED to book Megeve for late March. If the conditions are good just book last minute.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Also worth saying that the French really don't bother with skiing EMB in late March

Or many other areas. I have had some wonderful skiing in Praz sur Arly and Flumet - just along the valley from Megeve - on their last day of the season with perfect snow and absolutely nobody on the lifts (some of which, non-essential ones, were already shut for lack of demand). However, I have also been down into the Arly Valley much earlier in the season, grappled with grass, mud and puddles and wished I'd not bothered, when there was good skiing up in Les Saisies and the top of Notre Dame de Bellecombe.

Once the French school holidays are done (9 March) it's low season and last minute booking makes sense.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks to all for very helpful posts - not like the unhelpful responses one typically receives as a first time poster in many internet forums.

In my initial post I neglected to clarify that the rearrange option is £68 to change the dates, and the only date available is end of March.

Or I could just write off the £135 and book something else, maybe do a whole week somewhere really high up in April, which is probably what I will do. Thanks again for the advice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CheeseHorse, I think if you’re able to wait and book no more than a few days ahead, you’ll have plenty of choice then.

Even if you have to write off the cost of your flights, you’d almost certainly save more that way.

You may get lucky with Megeve and EMB having good late snow. If not, I’m sure SnowHeads would be happy to answer any questions and suggest options, if you wanted that.
snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were there 3rd week in March 2018, snow was great, but unfortunately that's no indicator...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'm hoping it's still got snow for first week of easter hols 7th April...………….
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EarthWindandWater wrote:
We were there 3rd week in March 2018, snow was great, but unfortunately that's no indicator...

Agree. We were there the 1st weekend in March in 2017 and the snow was ok, but the South facing runs (ie Jaillet) were unskiable. Pretty sure that a couple of weeks later it was no better
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Even if you have to write off the cost of your flights, you’d almost certainly save more that way.

But you wouldn't have to - you could just drive a bit further to a higher resort
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We ski the Grand Massif, so close by during the Easter school holidays in late March/April every year and some seasons are stupendous and others a bit ropey, but a;ways been able to ski. So maybe just wait and see? Going higher-up later in April means you are much more likely to run into British families on school holidays. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy