Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is resort ski touring the new midlife crisis?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

"You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile, you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife and you may ask yourself, well how did I get here?" - David Byrne

Getting older can trigger a kind of introspection, and often that introspection focuses on how much time has passed, how much is left, and what to do with it. That can create anxiety, and that anxiety can be multiplied by depression, stress, or good old-fashioned existential ennui.

The reality is that it is really tough place to be, because you’re trying to figure out, what should I be doing in life? Who am I? What’s my purpose? I went into these places in life where I was pretty depressed.”

A midlife crisis is a response to a dark place of a different kind. It could be the fear of mortality, or aimlessness, or futility, or obsolescence, or loss of self. You could view these things as threats, or you could accept them as part of your existence, and move forward.

https://medium.com/s/greatescape/extreme-athleticism-is-the-new-midlife-crisis-d87199a18bed

and

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=141225#3347447

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 23-01-19 16:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski touring outside resorts could be the new midlife crisis too. Or spending £4K on a road bike.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, mmmm maybe it's the market for all those Shifts being sold Laughing

pam w wrote:
.........Or spending £4K on a road bike............

Pah that would be a mere second division bike then Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Ski touring outside resorts could be the new midlife crisis too. Or spending £4K on a road bike.

How much is a sail boat these days Pam ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These days I sail Other People's Boats. Dead cheap. And I'm such a brilliant crew that I struggle even to pay for the odd marina berth - though mostly we anchor. wink Not a midlife crisis for me - I've been doing it for years. If people want to skin up - and ski down - a marked path then good luck to them. It's healthier than taking a lift up. I see no reason to scoff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's got to make more sense than rowing on a machine in a gym rather than on open water.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:

Guilty Embarassed

Still it’s better than buying a convertible and chasing women half my age
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Arno, cheap skate Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arno, Lots of reasons to take it up in mid life like retirement and needing some other form of skiing for the February madness, cheap fitness, lots of time and a bit of brass to hand.

On the other hand I have been spending a lot of time on the Morgan website - does that count as a convertible or a classic British sports car - just so I know where I stand wink wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, if I wanted to spank a load of cash on a car if have to spend less on fine wine

Does that make me even more of a cliche Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buying an expensive sea kayak seems to be the new road bike
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arno, I was talking about a bike and not a car.

And we all know that cars are totally impractical, the only 4 wheels you need is a VW Transporter, preferably subtly pimped to take all the toys, even kayaks Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, yes indeed, T5 full loaded with sea kayaks, skis, bikes, climbing gear, attitude and wine
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, I follow a policy of plausible deniability regarding the cost of my bikes (except my commuter which I am happy to disclose cost £150). The others were all bought as frame and components separately and I have never cared to add up the total cost Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the rocks wrote:
buying an expensive sea kayak seems to be the new road bike

Compare to cars and sail boats, even bikes, sea kayak stand out as the least expensive to operate. So, a few thousand quid on a sea kayak can actually deliver considerable enjoyment for almost zero on-going cost.

And like ski touring, sea kayak CAN take you away from the crowd a lot faster than on foot or even on a bike.
latest report
yes, its been an expensive, enjoyable and sometimes scary roller coaster ride since starting out last summer, we scraped through our 3* and looking forward to doing a lot more after the winter, great compliment to ski touring and climbing, looking forward to 2 weeks in the Hebrides; a week rock climbing followed by a week's kayaking
ski holidays
I think a new wife is the most expensive mid life crisis
snow report
darn-I go ski touring,own expensive road bikes and I just bought another fast car - if you are going to do the mid life crisis might as well do it properly Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonathan Bell wrote:

Its not the new wife that costs the money, rather its settling up with the old one.
latest report
Jonathan Bell wrote:

That's the second. jbob has the first Madeye-Smiley
snow report
pam w wrote:
It's got to make more sense than rowing on a machine in a gym rather than on open water.

I lived near the rowing club in Kingston for a while. At 6ft 7 I thought I should have a go at least - £450 for "casual" membership and you had to attend regattas regularly. Will have to stick to the Concept 2...
snow report
Arno wrote:
The others were all bought as frame and components separately and I have never cared to add up the total cost Toofy Grin

have you built them into a bike yet?
snow report
[quote="abc"]
On the rocks wrote:
And like ski touring, sea kayak CAN take you away from the crowd a lot faster than on foot or even on a bike.

So can a pair of walking boots. Even my really expensive ones (because I'm worth it rolling eyes ) were only £175. They regularly take me far from the madding crowd.
snow conditions
@davidof, I had enough stuff to make 2 bikes!! Good eh?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy