Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More and more wolves in France

Poster: A snowHead
Back in the summer I wrote a feature on the more frequent use of the Patou in the mountains to protect sheep from wolves.

https://stylealtitude.com/patou-sheep-dog-threat-walkers-french-alps.html

Should you encounter a Patou, depending on the dog it can be quite a traumatic experience, especially if you are not used to dogs...
France could soon have 500 wolves due to a species conservation plan. Shepherds in the Alps now need to protect their flocks from the very real threat of attack by a wolf and use a Patou dog to protect their flocks. But these intimidating giant white dogs can, in turn, seem to be a threat to walkers

And just seen this in todays Le Dauphine - a photo of 13 wolves in la Drôme SW of Grenoble !!!!

https://www.ledauphine.com/drome/2018/10/23/une-meute-de-13-loups-photographiee
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting! I think I'd be a lot more afraid of the dogs than of the wolves. But then, I'm not a sheep!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, don't you have Patou / Sheep in your part of the world in the summer, or are the pastures there for cattle, which obviously makes a big difference ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very few sheep in what used to be (but is no longer) my part of the world. Mostly cattle (milk = Beaufort cheese) and a small number of goats. Most of the working dogs seem to be collies.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its OK unless you are Little Red Riding Hood
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And she got the last laugh.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ones near us in Austria seem to have moved on. Probably two youngsters looking for a pack and territory.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa wrote:
... Probably two youngsters looking for a pack and territory.

Look closely, many more eyes, article says 13!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, I think he meant the Austrian ones.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, aaahhhhhh missed that rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The wolves are having interesting knock-on effects on the ecosystem as well - a little like the now famous results of their re-introduction in Yellowstone.

We're now seeing massively more vultures in our area and the farmers are convinced this is down to the wolves. More predators means more carrion means more food for vultures.

We have a breeding pair of bearded vultures in the valley (or we did, sadly one died this Spring) but we are also visited by Griffin vultures and these have become much, much more numerous this summer. I saw as many as 20 circling together on several occasions when it used to be rare to see more than one or two. Incredible sight.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've had them (wolves) traveling through Chamonix for a decade or more, but we have some (allegedly) moving on a more permanent basis.
Protected flocks are safe but unprotected ones are having (sometimes major) issues.
As for Patou, they are a regular fixture on the TMB and Hikers Haute route that I guide. They are no problem to a well behaved hiker, even with (well behaved) dogs. But can be very scary and dangerous if you are where you shouldn't be, probably fatal to your dog if it where it shouldn't be. They are generally very well protected by local law enforcement when issues arise.
I am also seeing a rise in the number of Vultures, I've been lucky enough to see bearded vultures up close a few times this summer - Petiti Aiguille vert and above the Col des Aravis. And many times at a distance.
Griffon vultures I've seen mostly around the Col du croix du Bonhomme.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spent a few weeks in Alleghe, Italian Dolomites last year. Sitting on the veranda we spotted a rough looking mutt strolling around underneath. The more we looked, the more it wasn't a dog or a fox or any other carnivore we recognised. Turned out to be a European Jackal!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting article about Wolves in France

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2018/12/28/presence-du-loup-dans-nos-departements-les-questions-que-vous-vous-posez
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just watching the film La Vallée des loups
snow report
Wolves in France or Italy is a rather boring subject anno 2018
There are currently even wolves settling in The Netherlands! Seriously.
Shortly they'll be venturing into Hook of Holland....wink
But, alas, Brexit...stringent border controls are coming up wink
snow report
We've got a Patterdale that I'd fancy against any pack of wolves.
ski holidays
A good documentary on wolves in the alps on BBC last night. Iplayer link https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bwqdbg/the-snow-wolf-a-winters-tale
latest report
I watched that documentary. Amazing to see that it went 1000km from Dolomites, via Tirol to the Mont Blanc Massif.
We mentioned wolves in Meribel in Episode 7 of The Ski Podcast, will try to cover it again:
http://theskipodcast.com/podcast/episode-7-wolves-in-meribel-funiculars-andrew-musgrave/
snow conditions
About 11 years ago now, my son was given a birthday present visiting a wolf sanctuary. We dropped him off on the morning with our dog Meg in the car. I have never seen her behave like that. Normally she was a noisy dog in the car, barking at other dogs, people and anything that moved. In the car at the wolf sanctuary, she knew exactly what to do, stood in complete silence, hackles raised, constantly watching the alpha male at the other side of the fence.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy