Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Casual sexism at Chill Factore

Poster: A snowHead
I hope I'm not breaking any rules of the forum here but I'd be interested in the views of other forum users.
Chill Factore in Manchester has a women only session. I see this as sexism as one sex (men) are discriminated against purely on account of their sex. Am I wrong or am I right?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My heart goes out to all the men who are oppressed by this terrible policy rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boisdevie, have you asked Chillfactore if they will do a Men-Only session?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
My heart goes out to all the men who are oppressed by this terrible policy rolling eyes

Laughing

Anyway, from what I have read (and this might be totally wrong) women may have a different psychological approach to skiing - so women only sessions seem like a good idea to me. Don't really see the problem? It's certainly not 'sexist'. Just providing a range of environments in which people can develop?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And there's nothing casual about it; carefully planned, I'd say.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think wimmins' skis are sexist. Why shouldn't a bloke have pink floral graphics and white fluffy boots?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
@boisdevie, have you asked Chillfactore if they will do a Men-Only session?

They say there's not enough interest which in itself is interesting. They basically said the women only session is justified because it's popular but they're assuming that the women there would not normally go to a mixed session. Following their logic it would also be possible to have a straight people only session or a white people only session provided it was popular.
If they were bothered about encouraging diversity I suggested they do sessions for BAME people as there are very few non-white faces at Chill Factore - they said they're not going to.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ElzP wrote:
Arno wrote:

Laughing

Anyway, from what I have read (and this might be totally wrong) women may have a different psychological approach to skiing - so women only sessions seem like a good idea to me. Don't really see the problem? It's certainly not 'sexist'. Just providing a range of environments in which people can develop?

Care to explain to me why stopping one sex from using a facility isn't sexist?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They also have special over 50's coaching sessions (open to male or female). Am I offended (being a tender 63) that I am considered "old" and in need of "special" coaching? Nope, not in the least. Besides, they are cheaper than normal lessons, so are a bargain in my eyes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:

I wonder if you'd find it so comic if Chill Factore had a no gay people session or a no black people session. Descrimination on the basis of sex is just as bad as that on the basis of ethnicity or sexual orientation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It’s political correctness gone mad!!!!1!!!1!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arno, Laughing

@under a new name, Go for it! I'm sure you could find something suitable (ish) in your size, though the boots might be trickier due to different physiology.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boisdevie wrote:
Care to explain to me why stopping one sex from using a facility isn't sexist?
Are you prohibited from using the slope when the ladies session is running, perhaps because the delicate women would be frighted at the sight of rugged men displaying their prowess as they charge down the short, gentle ski slope?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boisdevie, I know there are girls only instruction groups in Chamonix, specifically as (even in Chamonix), mixed groups are often dominated by testesterone loaded blokes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boisdevie, Are you actually serious, or just trolling a ski forum?
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
+1
ski holidays
@boisdevie, tell them that you self identify as a woman and you’ll be golden
latest report
Scarlet wrote:

I am very very serious. I find discrimination a very serious business. Don't you?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@boisdevie, I know there are girls only instruction groups in Chamonix, specifically as (even in Chamonix), mixed groups are often dominated by testesterone loaded blokes.

Exactly this. Also, if you join one of these groups as a woman (probably the only woman), there's often a hint of "why are we letting the girls come along?", or it's banter central (not generally female friendly), or there's some sleazy twonk in there somewhere who we would prefer to avoid. To gain respect in such a group, you can't be the weakest group member, you have to be one of the better skiers. But they don't like that...
snow report
No i dont
A business should have the right to choose the target audience.
Political correctness can go Be Nice please! off

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 21-12-18 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
boisdevie wrote:
Arno wrote:

I wonder if you'd find it so comic if Chill Factore had a no gay people session or a no black people session. Descrimination on the basis of sex is just as bad as that on the basis of ethnicity or sexual orientation.

If you can't see the context here, you won't understand any explanation, it's either a very poor attempt at a wind up or someone needs to get some life skills.
ski holidays
Chill Factore did do a men only session a few years ago - as said above, they apparently scrapped it because there wasn't enough interest. My OH was annoyed they stopped it, mainly because the sessions were good value - I haven't been for ages, but I seem to remember it was £15 for a couple of hours, which included free cake/tea/coffee at the end!
ski holidays
If I was going on a crusade over inequality, women only ski classes at the snowdome isn’t the place I’d start
ski holidays
Can i moan about t & j bars/pommel/pull lifts or any other variery....
As a snowborder I find them discriminating
latest report
Arno wrote:
If I was going on a crusade over inequality, women only ski classes at the snowdome isn’t the place I’d start

Depends what the women look like Toofy Grin
latest report
Whilst I'm hoping for billions of them in the Dollies before the BB, I feel the urge to exclaim - "Snowflake alert!". Shocked Confused
snow report
Arno wrote:
Indeed.

I think you're looking to be offended. So to answer the question in your first post, no, you're wrong.
snow conditions
That womens only session has been running for over 6 years.

Whilst I was a bit conflicted about it at first, it was spot on for my wife who is a little snow flake when it comes to skiing. Joking aside, she is a rather nervous skier and found chatting with other women improved the social aspect of being there and helped her forget a little about the dred of turning up each week
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boisdevie, If you want to go to the Ladies session surely you can tell them you are identifying as female for that day....
ski holidays
Is it sexist that one of the largest Airline groups in the world will resolutely not roster two female pilots in the cockpit?

Things go wrong in ways that are mitigated by an all male or a mixed pilot team.
ski holidays
@under a new name, if there was an all female crew, who would reverse the plane off the apron?

###RUNS###
snow report
@boisdevie, in case youv'e yet to notice, many sports are divided by gender.

Is it right or wrong? How do football, netball, cricket teams of defined gender make you feel?

Go and do something useful in a gender environment of your choice and stop wasting other's time.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, some one had to say it and I'm brave (stupid) enough to!
ski holidays
@PaulC1984, apron? why are the pilots wearing aprons ...
latest report
@under a new name, because they are women and they should never be without one ??!!....

###RUNS FASTER###
latest report
Is it acceptable to run female-only sports sessions?
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@under a new name, if there was an all female crew, who would reverse the plane off the apron?

###RUNS###

But there is always a bloke outside guiding them
snow report
@boisdevie, might be best to go and deal with real issues that women face than trying to pick a fight here. Maybe there are women who for cultural reasons do not wish to be in mixed groups? Would you have an issue with that? If so think you need to think about the point you are trying to make.
ski holidays
@boisdevie, do you think men only sessions are necessary to assist with solving the chronic underrepresentation of men in the sport? How does the lack of these disadvantage you?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy