Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Mercury Ski Boot - thoughts/ advice please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I wonder if the SH community can offer any advice?

I’ve been wearing Dynafit Mercury TL ski boots for about 5 years now and last season jumped into a second pair identical to previous pair, same size (27.5) on the basis that the previous pair were starting to feel a bit baggy at the end of a hard days skiing and maybe the liners were getting a bit tired. These boots had been super comfy and I’d no real reason to move on other than that I’d bought the second identical pair in a close out sale and I thought I’d move over to them. Last season I used the new ones but only for one week at season end, and tbf found them comfy, same fit but the tongue rubbed my shin a bit ar the overlap point and I put up with it and told myself they were new and just man up!

Fast forward now to 22nd December, ie 10 days ago, end of first day and look my boots off and there was a 5 cm long blister on my shin and it was mega painful. Progressively over the week it got worse, to the point where one day I couldn’t ski because the pain was unbearable and making already sore worse. Obviously I’d cleaned it properly and applied dressing etc, and it’s looking much better now because I’ve not skied for 2 days, however I’m going again in just over 2 weeks and don’t want a repeat. My left leg was also doing same but not as bad.

The liner seems to have a continuous hard edge (which I taped over but it came off whilst away). Should I set to with a knife and carve it off and run the risk of causing big damage to the boot, warm it up with hairdryer etc and see if that helps or go and see a boot fitter and get some zipfits etc next weekend?

I’d welcome any thoughts.......TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They changed the liner a couple of seasons ago and the hard bits on mine softened up after a heat mould. Nowt wrong with carving up the liner though. Wouldn't go zipfit as even the touring version is heavy and has noticeably reduced range of movement in touring mode. If swapping the liner I'd go Intuition.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 1-01-19 14:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, In my 3 year old Vulcan's (same shell as Mercury) I went for Intuition liners when the originals conked out after about 40 days. They are much better for the down than the originals and tour just as well.
Intuition Pro Tour.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, I've had the tongues reshaped before by the boot fitter when there were pressure points and that solved the problem. I guess you might be able to do something similar with a hairdryer. Let your leg heal first, though, or you'll have difficulty telling if it's right or not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks for feedback, I’ve ordered a pair of sidas shin pads 2mm thick off amazon and see how I get on with that solution coupled with hairdryer treatment on the tongue and a bit of knife trim...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy